ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

ES 300h Need Favor

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-14, 06:29 PM
jkaloz
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ES 300h Need Favor

I recently started to notice that when I am driving my ES 300h at about 57MPH there is a droning noise that can be heard. I don't think that it has always done this and brought it up when I took it into the dealer for its 15k checkup. They kept it overnight and checked it out and could not identify where the noise was coming from and chalked it up to normal hybrid drive noise. They did not have an available 300h to compare too and told me to bring it back if it got louder or worse. Has anyone else noticed this? Anyone else in a 300h willing to take there car to ~57mph and listen for on odd droning/pulsating noise? I would much appreciate it. I don't think this is normal but don't have anyone I know with this car.

Thanks!
Old 08-27-14, 10:47 PM
SLH
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sorry, I can't help you. By far the loudest noise I hear at 57 mph around here is, the other cars on the highway passing me every couple of seconds. Some are blowing their horns as they go past.
Old 08-27-14, 11:28 PM
jkaloz
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by SLH
Sorry, I can't help you. By far the loudest noise I hear at 57 mph around here is, the other cars on the highway passing me every couple of seconds. Some are blowing their horns as they go past.
Ha! Thanks for the response. I think there is something going wrong then with mine.
Old 08-28-14, 12:49 AM
SLH
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Seriously, the thing to do is to get someone else to drive the car, while you move around the cabin and figure out where the noise is coming from. Look in that part of the car for loose pieces - especially the plastic covers that they put underneath and in the wheel wells. A loose piece of plastic can vibrate in the wind. They use plastic rivets to hold those covers in place. Sometimes one of those rivets falls out...

After you figure out what is vibrating, stopping it is usually not difficult.
Old 08-28-14, 06:35 AM
jim256
Lead Lap

Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by SLH
Seriously, the thing to do is to get someone else to drive the car, while you move around the cabin and figure out where the noise is coming from. Look in that part of the car for loose pieces - especially the plastic covers that they put underneath and in the wheel wells. A loose piece of plastic can vibrate in the wind. They use plastic rivets to hold those covers in place. Sometimes one of those rivets falls out...

After you figure out what is vibrating, stopping it is usually not difficult.
+1, and if you can't find anything inside, look around the cowl vent, under the hood, etc. Sometimes blocking off an area with painters tape temporarily can change the airflow around windows, wipers, and the hood area, and you can find the offending piece.
Old 08-28-14, 07:40 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,011 Likes on 691 Posts

It isn't clear to me from the OP whether the sound that is being heard seems to be something like a rattle or whether it sounds like something coming from a mechanical component of the car.
Old 08-28-14, 02:46 PM
Arty101
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

About a couple of months ago, I was getting a droning noise that happened only on the freeway at speeds over 50 mph. For a week, I tried listening to where the drone was coming from. I thought there was something stuck in the front flapping or under the wheel well. Notta.

Then, I remembered that I recently filled and topped the air pressure on all four tires up to about 38 psi, cold. On a hunch, I reduced it to 35 psi, and problem (drone) was solved. So... check the tire pressure! As you drive, the tire temp further increases which makes the tires stiffer. Could be as simple as that. Good luck.
Old 10-14-14, 06:02 PM
jkaloz
Driver School Candidate

Default Problem resolved

I took it back to the dealer as the sound started happening around 45MPH too. turned out it was a bad rear wheel bearing. they replaced it and all is quiet now. Thanks for everyone's responses.
Old 10-15-14, 09:39 AM
atoyota
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by jkaloz
I took it back to the dealer as the sound started happening around 45MPH too. turned out it was a bad rear wheel bearing. they replaced it and all is quiet now. Thanks for everyone's responses.
Thanks for coming back and letting us know what the problem/solution was.
Old 10-16-14, 08:33 PM
Madonna99
Driver School Candidate

Cool

Originally Posted by jkaloz
I recently started to notice that when I am driving my ES 300h at about 57MPH there is a droning noise that can be heard. I don't think that it has always done this and brought it up when I took it into the dealer for its 15k checkup. They kept it overnight and checked it out and could not identify where the noise was coming from and chalked it up to normal hybrid drive noise. They did not have an available 300h to compare too and told me to bring it back if it got louder or worse. Has anyone else noticed this? Anyone else in a 300h willing to take there car to ~57mph and listen for on odd droning/pulsating noise? I would much appreciate it. I don't think this is normal but don't have anyone I know with this car.

Thanks!
Hi, I noticed this too. I just got mine last Sunday. Are you driving in the Eco Mode? It seems to pull more in Eco Mode or EV mode. Put it in Normal by depressing the round button and then go up to 57mph or more and see if that noise is still there. It could be that it is hard on the battery and you don't have it on the right mode. Hope this helps?