Print Wikipost

HID bulbs for fog lights

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-14, 06:42 PM
Brozee
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by XenonDepot
Are your fog lights used as Daytime running lights?

Danny
No, the standard drls run as normal. The fog lights run off a separate switch. Hids are plugged in using same cables as the stock halogen fogs
Old 02-27-14, 05:09 AM
Arty101
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Maybe you should gotten them from xenon Depot?
Old 02-27-14, 07:36 AM
XenonDepot
Former Sponsor

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Brozee
No, the standard drls run as normal. The fog lights run off a separate switch. Hids are plugged in using same cables as the stock halogen fogs
Than the HID lights should work fine in your fog lights with just a bulb and ballast. You could try and get a relay harness to help with the draw as it sounds like one side may not be getting enough power to light up meaning the ballast are not low draw.

Danny
Old 02-27-14, 08:48 AM
Brozee
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Arty101
Maybe you should gotten them from xenon Depot?
Thing is, I've used these many times in many different vehicles before and they work great. For the price they are just what I am looking for. This was the first occurrence I've ever had an issue with. Maybe the relay will fix it. Was just odd that both sides work perfect if the other is turned off, but when both are plugged in it turns off immediately. It sounds like you are correct and these are in-fact not low draw kits. The relay should fix the issue. I will report back after I try it. I also took pictures of the bulbs and some install parts along the way. Should help others with installation.
Old 05-01-14, 07:09 AM
bootman
Intermediate

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Just ordered two H11 Volt HID Digital+ HID Kits for both the headlights and fog for my non HID ES.

Looks like a pretty easy install.
Old 05-01-14, 08:23 AM
XenonDepot
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by bootman
Just ordered two H11 Volt HID Digital+ HID Kits for both the headlights and fog for my non HID ES.

Looks like a pretty easy install.
Enjoy

What color temperature did you end up getting?

Danny
Old 05-02-14, 05:55 AM
bootman
Intermediate

Originally Posted by XenonDepot
Enjoy

What color temperature did you end up getting?

Danny
4300K since i like a white light vs blue or yellow.
Old 05-02-14, 07:53 AM
bootman
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Brozee
Okay after much delay I finally bought a set of HID bulbs for my fog lights. I went with a Zenex HID kit off Amazon: Slim ballast, 35 watt. Installed the same lights in the headlights of my friends 2014 Mazda 6. Plug and play and worked without an issue. After hearing so many people say they had H11 bulbs, I ordered the H11 set for my fogs. Turns out it was wrong.... My car had H16 fog light bulbs. It is a 2013 late year model with the recall already completed before I took delivery. Anyways, I dremeled out the tabs of the H11 bulbs so they would fit and install. Installed one, turned it on, works perfect. Installed the other, turned on works perfect.

Problem is this: When both fog light bulbs are plugged in and then turned on, they stay on for 4 seconds then turn off immediately. After that you turn off the lights then back on and the lights illuminate for one second then turn off.

I've tried unplugging one and then the other will stay on, so I know both ballasts and bulbs are fine. I've also tried my friends 35w non slim ballasts and same result. I'm guessing it's taking too much current draw when both are on? Or it has an issue with the DRL pulses conflicting with the bulbs?

I bought a relay off ebay and will try and see if that will rectify the issue. If anyone else experienced this and/or fixed it please give me some advice here.

Thanks!

Link to what I bought: http://www.amazon.com/Zenex-Conversi...ords=zenex+hid but in the H11, 4300k variant.
I wished I would have paid attention to this post earlier.
According to the owner's manual for the 2014 the fog light bulb is an 18W H16.

I just ordered two HID kits and I may now return one and get a H16 LED one instead if available.
Maybe the change to a 18W H16 is what is giving some people issues when going for a full 55W HID upgrade or even a 30W LED upgrade for their fog lights?

Bummer.

Last edited by bootman; 05-02-14 at 08:01 AM.
Old 05-02-14, 12:48 PM
bootman
Intermediate

Another option might be if I do my high beams but they are 9005 bulbs.
Has anyone done that here?
Old 05-02-14, 01:43 PM
Max707
Lexus Champion

Received 42 Likes on 40 Posts

Just wondering are you guys having a hard time seeing at night with the stock bulbs or are you changing because it's a cool thing to do?
Old 05-02-14, 02:40 PM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,010 Likes on 691 Posts

Originally Posted by Max707
Just wondering are you guys having a hard time seeing at night with the stock bulbs or are you changing because it's a cool thing to do?
From what I've read on this and other threads, the standard fogs on the (2013) ES actually give better visibility than do the HID retrofit bulbs. For me, considering that I live out in the country where I'm driving at night on completely unlit roads without even lines painted on the center or edges of the road and that I have to be alert for deer and other critters jumping out in front of me, when I use the fog lights, it is for function and not for appearance, which is the primary reason why I've dismissed the thought of replacing the fog lights that came with the ES with HID lights. I suspect that a good share of the people who have done the retrofit are people who live in urban areas and who have little real need for fog lights but who like the looks of the HID bulbs.

Last edited by lesz; 05-02-14 at 02:59 PM.
Old 05-07-14, 02:08 PM
bootman
Intermediate

Well my concerns was for naught.
I installed both my headlights and fogs with the Volt kit and both took me less than one hour.
Only hiccup (if you can call it that) was that i needed to switch the input so that the white wire in my ES was connected to the black in the kit.
I used velcro to mount everything and hid the units in the side trims under the hood.
Old 05-07-14, 02:53 PM
XenonDepot
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by bootman
Well my concerns was for naught.
I installed both my headlights and fogs with the Volt kit and both took me less than one hour.
Only hiccup (if you can call it that) was that i needed to switch the input so that the white wire in my ES was connected to the black in the kit.
I used velcro to mount everything and hid the units in the side trims under the hood.
Glad to hear everything worked out! Post some pictures if you get the chance

Danny
Old 01-04-15, 12:44 AM
jaysyed007
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Detailed pics

Hi just installed the 5000k hid fog lights in my 14 ES300h light output is super great and the color match is perfect I'm using 55watts DDM hid kit for low beams with 6000k bulbs and for the fog I'm using 35watts cheap eBay 5000k kit.. My question to all of you who have done the installation of the fogs where exactly did you mount and secure the ballasts for the fogs so they don't move around... after taking the 5 clips/screws from each side still there isn't a lot of room to mount the ballasts plus there is very little gap between the tire and the bumper to put your hands in and use zip ties to secure.. Does anyone have any detailed clear pics I did see some pics on this forum but couldn't understand which angle the pics was talking from & what was used to secure the ballasts please help me out,Thanks.
Old 01-04-15, 07:18 AM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,236 Likes on 868 Posts

I received LED's for the fog lights for Christmas. My problem is that I'm not sure the best way to get to them. Is it thru the wheel well or removing the splash shield under the front of the car?

Quick Reply: HID bulbs for fog lights