ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Bought new ES350, planning to change Insurance

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-13, 02:50 PM
susm
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jim256
You must be fortunate in living far inland.......I'm 65 miles from the coast in NC, but I found in 2009 that USAA was charging me $1000 more per year for my homeowners than State Farm is, and I also had a beach house that they were charging me $400 more than State Farm did--for just the non-wind & hail coverage. Very unfortunate, since I had been with them for 38 years. What really bothered me was that when I asked them about the difference, they were really indifferent, and their only remark was that if I cancelled my homeowners, they would never insure a home for me, again (anywhere!). So much for 38 years of loyalty, which annoyed me more than the $1000/year that I had paid for many years. I switched everything to State Farm. The days of "you were in the service, we'll not turn our back on you" are gone, I guess. State Farm has been very good, and after 38 accident-free years, guess what happened in 2010?---Deer runs into the side of my black IS 350, $3500. Perfect repair, all Lexus body panel parts, State Farm came through with flying colors. Homeowners premiums have stayed stable, too. Coastal rates I understand, but why USAA sees such a different risk premium is hard to understand. (Sorry for an off-Lexus topic post, but where you live can play a big role in the insurance cost bundle.)
I currently have Geico and have had a few claims with them without an issue and they have never raised my rates on me (they never have gone down either). I priced out USAA and it was similar. It was about $1400 a year more just on the car insurance alone (I am only paying $1,600 a year on multiple vehicles with geico) and the homeowners was a little more than double the $800 I am paying now.
Old 08-16-13, 05:38 PM
Arty101
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Not only where you live or your driving record, but your zip code really matters. I moved out of SF into the next county and reduced my insurance cost by almost 30%, everything else being equal.
Old 08-17-13, 04:37 AM
coach1
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow....the USAA negative experience surprised the heck out of me. When I was shopping for a change from State Farm I talked to an insurance broker that represented several companies.....personally covered by State Farm and said she could not come close to competing with USAA, implied they were the best and wished she could qualify.
Old 08-17-13, 06:05 AM
jim256
Lead Lap

Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by coach1
Wow....the USAA negative experience surprised the heck out of me. When I was shopping for a change from State Farm I talked to an insurance broker that represented several companies.....personally covered by State Farm and said she could not come close to competing with USAA, implied they were the best and wished she could qualify.
USAA was cheaper for the cars (2 Lexus at the time), by maybe $100, but the houses overwhelmed those savings, umbrella cost and others were about the same, and as I wrote, their comments at the time annoyed me more than the dollars. The good news----my "subscriber savings account" was over $7000 at USAA, and they refunded that in 6 months. So, I saved about $1000/year net, and they give me back my $7000 they had set aside over 38 years. I feel like I'm way ahead.
Old 08-17-13, 09:28 AM
gmanusmc
Lexus Test Driver

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by coach1
Coach - That's been my experience as well over the past 36 years. Every once in a while I get the urge to compare rates and no one, including Geico, has been competitive with what I get with USAA. They also rebate a portion of your premium into a savings account from which they issue a rebate annually around Christmas time - very timely. Our last rebate was more than $500 and the balance in our account is around $7k. Personally, I don't recall running across a USAA customer who didn't praise their service (until the posts in this thread).

Bill
Old 08-17-13, 09:42 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

This shows that one size doesn't fit all when it comes to auto/home insurance. it's best to shop around and find rates, agents, service etc. that work for you. IMO if one company was really the best everyone would be with them.
Old 08-17-13, 10:43 AM
jim256
Lead Lap

Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by bgaerttner
Personally, I don't recall running across a USAA customer who didn't praise their service (until the posts in this thread).

Bill
I'm the poster, and I was definitely a USAA cheerleader for 38 years, did not believe my 2 retired officer USAF &USA neighbors that told me they got better homeowners rates from Nationwide and State Farm---I thought they must have misunderstood something (procrastinating for 2 years) until I checked. Again, auto insurance is cheaper, homeowners at least in NC (yet 65 miles inland), is not. Sadly.
Old 08-17-13, 11:10 AM
gmanusmc
Lexus Test Driver

Sorry Jim - replied to Coach's post before I saw yours - wasn't directed at you personally. I guess if you're in a flood or fire hazard area, that would have a significant impact on the premiums.

Bill
Old 08-17-13, 11:15 AM
gmanusmc
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by LexBob2
This shows that one size doesn't fit all when it comes to auto/home insurance. it's best to shop around and find rates, agents, service etc. that work for you. IMO if one company was really the best everyone would be with them.

Not everyone can get insurance from USAA - it's pretty much restricted to military and relatives of military - although that might be changing.