ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Welcome to Club Lexus! 6th Gen ES owner roll call & introduction thread, POST HERE!

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-16, 07:39 PM
Funpilot
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default City driving is poor MPG for me as well

Originally Posted by swfla
Hi all, I've owned several Lexus vehicles the past 18 years. My recent acquisition is the 2014 ES300h in dark gray w/black interior. Very nice fit and finish.
After driving an LS460, I miss a few of the extras but don't miss the large foot print and poor city fuel economy (8 mpg). I'm in San Diego and do most of my driving in the city. Parking spaces are generally smaller and we have some hills. Seemed like a mid size hybrid would be perfect.
I'm very disappointed that my first hybrid is giving me about 28 mpg since I bought it in May of 2016. It should be 40 mpg.
Had the dealer check it out several times as well as corporate sent a regional traveling tech to test drive it with me. I drive very gently and anticipate stops and goes
like a hyper miler might and everything else recommended. The test drive showed live instant mpg on the tech's laptop of 36 mpg down hill towards the ocean and 32 mpg up hill back to the dealership.
Very confused and disappointed with these results. no one else is reporting low figures here. I've decide that I've done all I can to figure this out and am just going to
enjoy the car. From my experience, I'd think twice before buying a hybrid again. Bottom line is they are supposed to do best in city driving, mine does considerably better with highway driving (which I rarely do).
I just bought my third hybrid. First was a 2004 (?) Prius that I could easily get 58 mpg in summer and 44 in winter on the highway.Take off 10 mpg for city. My second has been a 2007 Camry hybrid that I get 41-42 highway and 32-34 city. I will pick up my first used hybrid in two days (2015 300H). I do not expect to see anything different than my Camry. I have NEVER seen city MPG higher that highway.
Old 10-31-16, 06:27 AM
jollick
Racer

Received 181 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by Funpilot
I just bought my third hybrid. First was a 2004 (?) Prius that I could easily get 58 mpg in summer and 44 in winter on the highway.Take off 10 mpg for city. My second has been a 2007 Camry hybrid that I get 41-42 highway and 32-34 city. I will pick up my first used hybrid in two days (2015 300H). I do not expect to see anything different than my Camry. I have NEVER seen city MPG higher that highway.
Congratulations and welcome to Club Lexus. I get a calculated average of 36 MPG city with my 2013 ES300h, great car. The car seems to always say about 1.5 MPG better than actual. Some weeks I get a calculated 35 MPG and some at 37 MPG or more. I have not taken it on a long highway run. I use the ES350 for traveling.
Old 11-01-16, 01:00 PM
jloftus
Pit Crew

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

About 24 MPG, 2016 ES 350 . Mix of city and highway.
Old 11-01-16, 01:03 PM
jollick
Racer

Originally Posted by jloftus
About 24 MPG, 2016 ES 350 . Mix of city and highway.
That is also what I average with my 2015 ES350 on combo driving and over 30 mpg calculated on the highway. Great mileage for a vehicle this size.
Old 11-01-16, 04:30 PM
Funpilot
5th Gear

Default My drive home MPG

A mix of highway and "city" resulted in a display reading of 40 MPG. Promising ....
Old 11-06-16, 04:48 AM
acencha
Driver School Candidate

Hi all,

Picked up a 2013 ES300H Starfire Pearl last weekend w/ Ultra luxury pkg., Mark Levinson, navigation, and blind spot monitoring! Really like the car! First half tank netted me ~36 mpg 80% highway hand calculated, and ~38mpg on the car's display.

Anyways, I'm having difficulties getting a good car seat adjustment as my upper back / neck always feel stiff after 10 minutes of driving it. This hasn't happened in any other car I've driven. The headrest is all the way in the furthest back position (I think it's still too far forward) Anyone have any ideas on what I should do?

Thanks
Old 11-06-16, 11:20 AM
jollick
Racer

Originally Posted by acencha
Hi all,

Picked up a 2013 ES300H Starfire Pearl last weekend w/ Ultra luxury pkg., Mark Levinson, navigation, and blind spot monitoring! Really like the car! First half tank netted me ~36 mpg 80% highway hand calculated, and ~38mpg on the car's display.

Anyways, I'm having difficulties getting a good car seat adjustment as my upper back / neck always feel stiff after 10 minutes of driving it. This hasn't happened in any other car I've driven. The headrest is all the way in the furthest back position (I think it's still too far forward) Anyone have any ideas on what I should do?

Thanks
Congratulations on your purchase! Welcome to Club Lexus. Have you tried different settings on the lumbar support? Also, the seat extension is very good for the driver, I keep it all the way out. On a recent long trip, 850 miles in one day I had to get out and walk occasionally and I changed my sitting position now and then to stop any back tension. This seemed to work.
Old 11-12-16, 09:06 AM
PAcommuter
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi, I just bought a lease return last weekend. 2013 ES350, black with parchment seats, stock 17 wheels with Michelins, heated/vented leather seats, nav, blind side, parking assist, rear remote shade. 28k miles. Husband says it's almost as fun to drive as his 07 XK, but the leather interior is nicer. It's a smooth ride, but I feel the bumps a little bit more than his Jag. Does anyone have thicker aspect tires on their cars?
Old 11-15-16, 06:53 AM
jloftus
Pit Crew

Yeh there's a thread dedicated to this topic. I've been considering getting something different. I also have 17 inch Michelins on my 2016 ES 350.

Same impression - wickedly smooth ride, makes you want to come up with excuses to drive it. I've heard the

Michelins are great for this car, yet I hear there are possibly better tires out there for ride comfort.
Old 11-15-16, 08:40 AM
jloftus
Pit Crew

Hey PaCommuter, here's the link to the forum where they've been talking about the different tires and how they ride:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/es-...e-choices.html

JL
Old 11-18-16, 09:36 PM
RJP62
Driver School Candidate

New old guy here. Upgraded from a 14' Camry XLE to a loaded to the brim Atomic Silver w/Black Perf. 16' ES300h in June. Best decision I ever made [looking around to make sure wife is not listening ��].

Love the car. We're older but our commute (yes we've been doing it for over 20 years, commuting ��) can be as long as 1.5 hours on a bad day. When the planets align , 1 hour.

We test drove the Avalon Limited. We bought the Lex. Love everything about the Lexus.

Might replace the 4Runner some day with a new RX.

Rob
Old 12-04-16, 11:01 AM
jeffginnie
Driver School Candidate

Default Check Park Sonar

I'm brand new to the forum here. 2013 ES350. After driving on a highway and slowing down or stopping, I suddenly got a dashboard alert saying "Check Front Sonar Park Alert". I cleaned the sonar "buttons" on both the front and rear bumpers and got the car washed. Alert light went off...got back on highway...no problem...BUT, once I slowed down or stopped the warning came back on. Same thing happens every time now. No alert while driving on highway...but same alert comes on when I sop. What's this all about? Thanks.
Old 12-05-16, 09:56 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 678 Likes on 505 Posts

Originally Posted by jeffginnie
I'm brand new to the forum here. 2013 ES350. After driving on a highway and slowing down or stopping, I suddenly got a dashboard alert saying "Check Front Sonar Park Alert". I cleaned the sonar "buttons" on both the front and rear bumpers and got the car washed. Alert light went off...got back on highway...no problem...BUT, once I slowed down or stopped the warning came back on. Same thing happens every time now. No alert while driving on highway...but same alert comes on when I sop. What's this all about? Thanks.
Welcome to the forum!

You have an issue with a parking sensor. The alert is only going to show up at parking speeds, which is why it goes away while driving.
Old 12-09-16, 10:55 PM
400to300H
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Greetings from soggy Portland Oregon (2 months of continuous rain and counting)! Black Friday I traded in my 1994 LS400 for a loaded 2013 ES300H, drastic step up and I'm proud to have stayed in the Lexus community. Second day of ownership I was drilling holes in the back of the car for lower license plate mounting holes, plus two holes in the mounting bracket on the front, got matching chrome plate borders that are narrow border so it doesn't cover anything on the plates. Looks sharp and turned out great but was surprised neither plate mounting locations had lower bolt holes for proper plate mounting. This last Wednesday I got Formula One Pinnacle 30 window tint installed all around with Air 80 on the windshield, looks great and performs well (so far anyway). Future plans are an additional FOB and perhaps a beat sonic video in motion module if the CL price break is good. Also will consider after market rims but have no idea what would look good on the car. I'll continue to research, pleasure to be aboard.
Old 12-09-16, 11:52 PM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Received 230 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by 400to300H
Greetings from soggy Portland Oregon (2 months of continuous rain and counting)! Black Friday I traded in my 1994 LS400 for a loaded 2013 ES300H, drastic step up and I'm proud to have stayed in the Lexus community. Second day of ownership I was drilling holes in the back of the car for lower license plate mounting holes, plus two holes in the mounting bracket on the front, got matching chrome plate borders that are narrow border so it doesn't cover anything on the plates. Looks sharp and turned out great but was surprised neither plate mounting locations had lower bolt holes for proper plate mounting. This last Wednesday I got Formula One Pinnacle 30 window tint installed all around with Air 80 on the windshield, looks great and performs well (so far anyway). Future plans are an additional FOB and perhaps a beat sonic video in motion module if the CL price break is good. Also will consider after market rims but have no idea what would look good on the car. I'll continue to research, pleasure to be aboard.
Congrats! You're brave to drill those additional holes in the back; I think most owners just leave it and get frames with just top holes.

Quick Reply: Welcome to Club Lexus! 6th Gen ES owner roll call & introduction thread, POST HERE!