ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Question about Extended CPO warranty & servicing

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-19, 03:19 AM
djlehman
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Question about Extended CPO warranty & servicing

I purchased a Lexus Certified CPO vehicle for the Lexus dealership and added the extended warranty for 2 additional years as I plan to keep the car a while and will be purring roughly 30,000 miles PER YEAR on the car. I'm pretty sure that there no issue with this but is there any chance that having my car's regula maintenance serviced by a reputable national chain (such as a Firestone) or could that in any way void my warranty.
Old 05-28-19, 05:47 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,010 Likes on 691 Posts

If you save your receipts and can document that you have had required maintenance done, you should be fine.

Many here use Toyota dealers to do work on their ES vehicles. I've been using the local Toyota dealer to service my Lexus vehicles for the past 15 years. I trust them to do good work, and their charges are typically 1/2 or less than what the Lexus dealer would charge. However, while I am comfortable using the Toyota dealer, I would not have the same confidence in using a place whose primary business is to sell tires to do any work beyond things like an oil change or tire rotation.
Old 05-28-19, 09:07 AM
mcomer
Lead Lap

Received 844 Likes on 638 Posts

The L/Certified program provides four (4) service visits with four tire rotations and two (2) synthetic LOF
when serviced at a Lexus dealer. Does not have to be the selling dealer, Lexus corporate pays any Lexus
shop to do the work. Past that lesz is correct, have the work done correctly and save the receipts, you should
be covered.
Old 05-28-19, 01:29 PM
afpj
Instructor

Received 71 Likes on 56 Posts

I thought the L/certified program now has an unlimited mileage warranty now, just limited on time? Or is it unlimited time and limited on mileage?
Old 05-29-19, 01:05 AM
tarm
Rookie

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

For the bumper to bumper repairs it is unlimited miles. By federal regulation Car manufactures must accept warranty compliance for routine service from any and all other companies to include owners doing it themselves as long as fluids and parts used meet the minimum requirements of the manf AND THEY KEEP RECORDS/RECEIPTS. (Most Quick Lube Service Centers keep a vehicle customer history report that tracks both mileage of service and what was done and fluids parts were used.) If the Manf requires the use of only parts or fluids that can be purchased from the manf/dealer then it must be provided at a reasonable and market fair price or at there own cost and their for they eat the cost. (there are tech rules to establish this.) but for 99.9% of normal vehicles you can get all of these fluids/filters etc from normal auto stores and quick lube centers.

Back to the subject of the "wrap" warranty:

Lexus Financial Services Vehicle Service Agreements-CPO Wrap Information

There seems to be confusion on this Lexus Financial Services VSA Warranty based on the various posts and questioning replies by many members here in numerous threads. I saw numerous posts stating or inferring that there must be fine print excluding things sort of the typical gotchas that you see with so many 3rd party warranties or with the Hyundai powertrain warranty. Hyundai, at least in the past, was the one car company I gave the award of "turning denial of warranty claims into an art form!!!" Seriously It was that appalling; the BS corp and the regional compliance reps would pull. . There were also posts inferring this unlimited mileage extended warranty must be a third party "dealer" sold but not Lexus backed warranty. The ones that so many have loop holes and or many catches or limits in. There are good ones out there but you have to be SOOOOO careful and read every line and ask for any referenced addendum etc. Real PITA. This is not that so I thought I would write up a detailed post with all the info including copies and referenced links to support all statements made in this post. This way people can see for themselves and do not have to rely on me the poster.

1: Lexus Finical Service or LFS is Lexus Corporate Company under the Lexus/Toyota Corp Umbrella meaning it is Lexus. This can be seen by going directly to https://www.lexusfinancial.com all with the nice https and official L logo.

2: Their "official" various "extended warranties" are called "Vehicle Service Agreements" refereed to as "VSA"

3: The VSA specific to CPO vehicles which are commonly refereed to as "CPO Wrap" is typically the highest level VSA level which is the Platinum (technically "Lexus Extra Care Platinum") There are also lower levels ones such as "Lexus Extra Care Gold" and last "Lexus Extra Care Powertrain" the same as are offered on new vehciles in terms of what is covered/excluded. Platinum can be thought of as having the coverage/exclusion you see in the traditional "Bumper to Bumper" New Vehicle Warranty where [people typically refer to it as "everything" is covered other than wear items and fluid and filters. But of course there are other things that are not covered even in the new vehcile warranty such as body panels, brake pads, belts, hoses are two things many people do not think of that are typically considered wear items. Just examples for reference. Lexus is very clear and up front about what is and is not covered. It gives a clear list of "excluded and covered items)

[b]4: As for the unlimited mileage please see the attached PDF file scan of the summary sheet of the CPO Platinum VSA. The part about the unlimited mileage is in bold. This copy was one I found another member had uploaded.

5: Lexus Financial Services Websites Facts questions page. Notice question and link for CPO vehicles
Can I buy an L/Certified by Lexus Vehicle Service Agreement for my used vehicle?

Yes, if your vehicle is an L/Certified by Lexus Vehicle and has an L/Certified by Lexus Vehicle Limited Powertrain, it is eligible for the Lexus L/Certified Vehicle Service Agreement. If you'd like a Vehicle Service Agreement for your used vehicle, take a look at our Used Vehicle Protection Plans.

6: If you go to this link Lexus L/Certified Vehicle Service Agreement
Its a bit confusing as at first glance it defaults to the New Vehicle VSA info. But you will notice that there is a down arrow next to the "New Vehicle " which is under the topic title "Show Me Plans For" Clicking the arrow brings up a drop down menu list. Choose "L/Certified Vehicle"
Scroll down to below " DOWNLOAD L/CERTIFIED VEHICLE VSA BROCHURE" to the numbered sections and read number 2. Here is a copy: (coverage period info in bold and underlined)

"2. Time coverage periods are measured from the expiration of the L/Certified Limited Warranty. Mileage is unlimited. Coverage expires upon reaching the maximum time of the coverage period selected. See Agreement for complete terms, conditions and restrictions. Coverage is subject to exclusions and limitations set forth in the Vehicle Service Agreement. The benefits stated here are subject to change or may vary slightly based upon the purchase date of the Agreement.

Do not be confused by number 4 in that list which is simply stating the CPO warranty coverage period this is the warrant not a VSA. This is how Lexus differentiated between included warranty and optional extra coverage i.e VSAs

7:What is and is not covered under this L/Certified Vehicle (CPO) Extra Care Platinum VSA? This is where the new vehicle and L/Certified Vehicle VSA are basically the same. They are the same levels Platinum, Gold, Powertrain VSAs and cover/exclude the same things. This list and comparison between can be found here https://www.lexusfinancial.com/us/en...w_vehicle.html But IMO this web page format is a terrible way to compare or look at it. Its best to choose the "VIEW PRINTER FRIENDLY" button for a nice column check list format. I have saved these as html files and attached them to this post there are two. The most important is the "Lexus VSA Coverage Exclusion Comparison Checklist-Components.html" as it shows what is / isn't covered under each. The other "Lexus VSA Coverage Exclusion Comparison Checklist-Features" gives a comparison of this like rental vehicle, travel hotel, and food, reimbursement amounts etc.

Lastly attached below is the full Lexus Financial Services L/Certified VSA Brochure in PDF. It actually does a good job of giving detailed info on coverage including part covered and excluded etc. Lexus Financial Services L/Certified VSA Brochure.pdf

8: As for price I have heard everything from $4000 which is suppose to be full retail price but I have not confirmed this as it maybe the price for a new car. But typically I here most people quoted $3000-$3500. My opinion is NEVER pay this or the first price they ever give you. It is very rare for a dealer agent to give you their best price right off although I have had it happen. I ended up paying $2000 for mine. You can purchase this from other dealers and tech online via email quote as there are a few that will do this. There may or may not be restrictions these days about them having to be in the same state and or still under the original factory warranty period to do this. Just in case you find that perfect deal at a dealer that refuses to sell the LFS VSAs which is tech there option but I think many do. It just may not be the one they push and you may have to ask and be firm about it.

9. Transfer and Cancellations.
The warranty as its an optional separate purchase can be transferred with the sale of the car. Not only this but you can also keep it and if you purchase another Lexus that meets the qualifications can transfer whatever is remaining of that warranty coverage to the purchase vehicle. You may also cancel this warranty. As can be seen in the features attachment up to 30 days full refund with $50 processing fee. After 30 days its prorated by amount left.

My personal opinion on extended warranties especially on vehicles highly rated for reliability is or more correctly was that they were not needed and many times were a waste. They still maybe for those that put very low miles each yr on their vehicles. Example would be someone that would run out the VSA time period (basically 10 yr from when it was new) and not or just hit 100K miles. Obviously for anyone that does not keep their vehicles for that long as well. A person keeping even a used CPO for only a few yrs would likely not need it depending on the mileage of the CPO. But if you put lots of miles on your car the fact this warranty for the CPO is unlimited mileage could mean you have a serious ton of use with mileage over 200K and in that case this can be a good choice. What has further swayed me to extended warranties is the inclusion of the advanced electronic features both safety and convenience/entertainment with advanced sensors cameras head units etc. These are still in their early days in terms of being standard. Looking at the cost of just the replacement parts just one system failing could easily more than exceed the $2000 I spent on the VSA. With Lexus/Toyota its rare for it to be a powertrain failure but these new electronics are an entirely different area and as with all electronics they tend to be much more susceptible to failures. As my ES350 had the full Luxury and Safety Packages as well as the heated steering wheel, wiper Deicer.etc it to me was a very worthwhile purchase given further that we average 30-35K miles /yr on our vehicles.

I hope this helps and if you see anything wrong or anything to add please let me know. I think I have included most of the pertinent data and links etc.

Last edited by tarm; 05-29-19 at 01:16 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by tarm:
GSR (05-11-21), mcomer (05-29-19), MGs350 (10-28-20)
Old 05-29-19, 12:27 PM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,236 Likes on 868 Posts

A very nice job of explaining the extended warranty and CPO programs. However, for me, I consider buying a CPO vehicle a waste of money, along with any Lexus extended warranty at any price the salesman would offer. This would extend to "wheel protection plans", oil additives, and any other plan designed to separate you from your money. All of these programs are high profit sales that make a lot of money for the dealer... Like selling you nitrogen for your tires. (you're currently breathing air containing 78% Nitrogen...)
Old 05-29-19, 01:05 PM
AlexNY
Pit Crew

Received 50 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by bc6152
A very nice job of explaining the extended warranty and CPO programs. However, for me, I consider buying a CPO vehicle a waste of money, along with any Lexus extended warranty at any price the salesman would offer. This would extend to "wheel protection plans", oil additives, and any other plan designed to separate you from your money. All of these programs are high profit sales that make a lot of money for the dealer... Like selling you nitrogen for your tires. (you're currently breathing air containing 78% Nitrogen...)
i agree, however CPO is a peace of mind. Well worth the $2200~$2500 they charge for this. Besides lexus has the best CPO program out there, heck i think they are the ones who invented the whole notion of CPO.

another worthwhile one is the whee' and tire protection, but only for leased cars. driving in NY's messed up roads and potholes, i always end up curving some of the rims in my cars. it's just impossible to dodge them all unless you live in the suburbs.
Old 05-29-19, 03:07 PM
Maikerusan
Advanced

Received 48 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by AlexNY
i agree, however CPO is a peace of mind. Well worth the $2200~$2500 they charge for this. Besides lexus has the best CPO program out there, heck i think they are the ones who invented the whole notion of CPO.

another worthwhile one is the whee' and tire protection, but only for leased cars. driving in NY's messed up roads and potholes, i always end up curving some of the rims in my cars. it's just impossible to dodge them all unless you live in the suburbs.

Peace of mind to me is not spending $2500 for a warranty that I likely will never use. As for wheel and tire protection, I would never in my life get that. Add up how much you spend on these spurious products over the years and you will likely be unpleasantly surprised.

People have selective memories when they buy these things. They are happy that they spent $750 on a protection product that saved them some money, but forget all the other times they bought it with nary a claim.
The following 3 users liked this post by Maikerusan:
bc6152 (05-29-19), lesz (05-29-19), Tootsall (05-29-19)
Old 05-29-19, 04:28 PM
lesz
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Maikerusan
Peace of mind to me is not spending $2500 for a warranty that I likely will never use. As for wheel and tire protection, I would never in my life get that. Add up how much you spend on these spurious products over the years and you will likely be unpleasantly surprised.

People have selective memories when they buy these things. They are happy that they spent $750 on a protection product that saved them some money, but forget all the other times they bought it with nary a claim.
Absolutely, all of those add-ons that dealers try to sell car buyers, including extended warranties, wheel and tire protection plans, dent removal plans, etc., are huge profit generators for dealership. Typically, they come with mark-ups of several hundred per cent, and, even when sold at a discounted price, they can still allow a dealer to turn a car sale into one of the dealership's best profit makers.

I have long suspected that the term "peace of mind" was one thought up by someone in the insurance industry for use in convincing people to buy coverage for things for which they have little chance of ever recovering, in claims, the money spent on the policy. I've long believed that it is wise to buy insurance to protect against losses that would have the potential to have significant impact on my financial situation. To me, it makes sense to have my home insured, to have liability insurance, etc. On the other hand, it makes sense to me to choose to self-insure against losses that would not materially impact my financial situation. If, for example, I have to pay out of pocket to repair/replace a wheel or a tire, I won't be happy about having to do so, but that expense is not going to have any meaningful long-term impact on my financial situation. The "peace of mind" that comes with protecting against every potential loss comes with a big price that, over the course of a number of years, will add up into thousands of dollars, a portion of which could have been used to pay for unanticipated and uninsured losses. Not spending money to buy insurance policies for which I'm very unlikely to collect even of fraction of the premium costs is what gives me "peace of mind".

Last edited by lesz; 05-29-19 at 05:29 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by lesz:
bc6152 (05-29-19), Maikerusan (05-31-19)
Old 06-03-19, 02:24 PM
digitalnrg
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you know, i used to think the same way like what you stated. When i bought my 14' last year, i decided to fork out the extra bucks for the CPO and im' glad that i did. My car so far has been in the shop 3 times to cure a clicking noise and it the bills already added up over $6K (replacing heater control and cpu). It's truly a peace of mind and also comes with 4 additional service maintenainces for no charges. Oh yeah, their loans are super nice and also include unlimited miles.
Old 06-03-19, 04:24 PM
lesz
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by digitalnrg
you know, i used to think the same way like what you stated. When i bought my 14' last year, i decided to fork out the extra bucks for the CPO and im' glad that i did. My car so far has been in the shop 3 times to cure a clicking noise and it the bills already added up over $6K (replacing heater control and cpu). It's truly a peace of mind and also comes with 4 additional service maintenainces for no charges. Oh yeah, their loans are super nice and also include unlimited miles.
There is no question that there can be times when you are lucky (or unlucky, depending on how you want to look at it) when you will have claims from a CPO or other extended warranty that exceed what you paid for the CPO certification or extended warranty, but there is also no question that such a situation is likely to be quite rare and that, over the course of ownership of 5 or 6 vehicles, you are almost guaranteed to be ahead by a good amount if you, instead of buying a CPO vehicle or an extended warranty, maintain a fund for unexpected car repairs and pay for them yourself.

Plus, I suspect that the $6000 in repair bills that you have encountered would have been only a fraction of that $6000 if, instead of the Lexus dealer doing the work, you had used a Toyota dealer or an independent shop.

Dealers sell CPO vehicles and offer extended warranties because they are among the best money makers that are available to car dealers.
Old 06-03-19, 05:08 PM
Maikerusan
Advanced

Received 48 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by lesz

Plus, I suspect that the $6000 in repair bills that you have encountered would have been only a fraction of that $6000 if, instead of the Lexus dealer doing the work, you had used a Toyota dealer or an independent shop.

Dealers sell CPO vehicles and offer extended warranties because they are among the best money makers that are available to car dealers.
Agree that the bill is inflated. They know a warranty firm is paying the tab, so they massage it well to a higher amount. The fact they had to bring it in 3x also speaks volumes. Customer is happy...he feels fine since he bought the warranty. Dealer is happy. He earns $$ and does not even have to deal with a customer upset over the bill.

PS-had a friend who worked in warranty dept for a major manufacturer of vehicles. Dealers were always trying to get all kinds of things paid for, and some dealers were very well known for the tricks they played.
Old 06-04-19, 02:05 PM
Dmaxdmax
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I'm looking at a 2013 w/71k miles. It was inspected, L/certified and listed at 68k but has been used as a courtesy car for 2,500 miles. The saleswoman says that going forward, a service department will only care that the car was entered into the system as Certified, and not pay attention to the fact that we paid and took delivery over 70k miles. They have performed the 70k mile service so she said we would get the 75, 80, 85, and 90k services.

Does this seem reasonable?
Old 06-04-19, 03:19 PM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,236 Likes on 868 Posts

Originally Posted by Dmaxdmax
I'm looking at a 2013 w/71k miles. It was inspected, L/certified and listed at 68k but has been used as a courtesy car for 2,500 miles. The saleswoman says that going forward, a service department will only care that the car was entered into the system as Certified, and not pay attention to the fact that we paid and took delivery over 70k miles. They have performed the 70k mile service so she said we would get the 75, 80, 85, and 90k services.

Remember how you can tell if a salesperson is lying... If their lips are moving...
The following users liked this post:
jollick (06-05-19)
Old 06-04-19, 03:50 PM
lesz
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Dmaxdmax

In order to be sold as a CPO vehicle, a Lexus can be up to 6 years old and can have up to 75,000 miles on the odometer. So, this car is just under the wire on both counts.

That isn't necessarily a bad thing, but it would make me want to look carefully at the car's CPO checklist/report. Cars can pass the CPO inspection with as little as about 30% of their useful tire tread left and with as little as about 30% of useful brake pad life left. At 71,000 miles, the car could be getting close to needing new brake pads, and it could be approaching the need to replace its tires (Likely, it is on its 2nd set of tires already). I would also check to see if the car still has its original battery. Additionally, I would want to know if things like a brake fluid flush were done at the 60,000 mile service. Depending on the condition of those kinds of items, you could end up, after only months of ownership, finding yourself needing to spend significant money on such wear-and-tear items not covered by the CPO warranty.