ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Audible Text Notifications

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-19, 03:10 PM
meh9
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Audible Text Notifications

When I have the source of the audio as phone (bluetooth), I can hear my text notifications through the car stereo. However, if I'm listening to the radio/satellite, I can only hear the notifications through the phone and not the stereo. Is this the intended behavior? Is there a way to get audible text notifications through the car stereo when listening to the radio? Thanks.
Old 04-14-19, 10:46 PM
OBLexus
Driver

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

This is the normal behavior and cannot be changed.
Old 04-15-19, 01:52 PM
nuraman00
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

I think I hear text notifications through the car stereo, when listening to the radio. It's been a few months since I received one while driving, though.
Old 04-15-19, 02:10 PM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 615 Likes on 463 Posts

What am I missing here? I get actual text messages pop up on the nav screen with any source.
Old 04-15-19, 02:11 PM
AlexNY
Pit Crew

Received 50 Likes on 33 Posts

you only hear audible text notifications if:

1) phone is connected via bluetooth, and your current source is audio via bluetooth
2) phone is connected via usb and your current source is usb
3)phone is connected via aux cable and your current source is aux

Basically the infotainment in our cars does not recognize text or emails AT ALL. you are just hearing audio directly from your phone in all 3 cases above.

My last car used to display text and emails in the infotainment screen, and used to give me audible notification of receiving one. MY current 6th gen ES with navi does not display any text, email, or even notifications of receiving one. The infotainment is pretty dated, even for a system designed for 2013 model year.
Old 04-15-19, 02:35 PM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 615 Likes on 463 Posts

Originally Posted by AlexNY
Basically the infotainment in our cars does not recognize text or emails AT ALL.
I have a 2013 and it has no problem reading my text messages. It used to show me emails, but that went away after I added a few accounts. When I only had my old personal account loaded on my phone, it alerted and read my emails.
Old 04-15-19, 06:12 PM
Emiddleb
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Same here. 2013, when listening to Sat radio while phone is paired I get notifications on both texts and emails. Had to tweak a couple "messaging" settings as in the "Navigation and Sound" manual, but works fine.
Old 04-15-19, 07:30 PM
Tootsall
Instructor

Received 193 Likes on 163 Posts

I just ran a test with my iPhone bluetoothed to the 2014 ES Nav, music playing from the phone via BT to the car. Sent a text and an email from wife’s phone to mine. Heard a short pause in the music when the text went through but nothing showing on the screen (split screen showing nav/media). Nothing when the email landed. Just now I rechecked the manual (RTFM!) and see this...

I smell a new test coming on.

Update: tested. “Messages” button is greyed out. Message announcement sound did ring through however. Screen did not show but phone call history in and out does display. Maybe something with “airdrop”?

Last edited by Tootsall; 04-15-19 at 07:43 PM.
Old 04-16-19, 04:34 AM
AlexNY
Pit Crew

Received 50 Likes on 33 Posts

woah, you guys have a messages option in the 13-14 es??????

my 2015 navi infotainment does not have any option whatsoever for messages inside phone menu. Maybe i'm missing something?
Old 04-16-19, 08:25 AM
Tootsall
Instructor

Originally Posted by AlexNY
woah, you guys have a messages option in the 13-14 es??????

my 2015 navi infotainment does not have any option whatsoever for messages inside phone menu. Maybe i'm missing something?
Check about page 169 of your Navigation manual (unless there was a change in the Navigation system in ‘15). The manual indicates that messaging is available but when I try to set it up the Message setup option does not come up for me. When I attempt to connect (assuming that Messaging is already set up), Messaging is greyed out. I’ve fired an email off to Lexus Canada to see if they can or will shed light. May end up phoning the dealership where I bought the car. I know I can’t expect to receive email as I don’t use a data plan on the phone but SMS would be nice. The phone is iPhone 5s so it should be around or earlier than the ‘14 ES and should be compatible.
Old 04-16-19, 02:02 PM
Tootsall
Instructor

Crazy. I got a "Technologist Service Advisor" on the phone using my landline while I sat in the car with my cell connected via Bluetooth and my wife's cell in my hand. As I was explaining to him the steps I'd taken he asked me to look at a screen (the one that opens when you select the "open phone" button on the steering wheel) and voila!, the Messaging button upper left corner was now no longer greyed out. Sent a text from wife phone to my phone, the Nav system announced an incoming message from "wife phone" and when I hit the "open phone" button on the steering wheel it proceeded to display the message AND read it out with "text to voice". Seems to be working fine now whereas before it didn't. I checked the "Menu/Setup/Phone" procedure and "Messages" now shows on the screen whereas before it would not. "Messages" now offers the various options for volume, etc. as advertised in the manual.

Maybe the car just needed some time to "think about" what it was I was trying to do? Anyway, I'm a happy camper. to AlexNY...all I can say is "check your Nav manual (if you didn't get one you can pull one as a PDF off of the internet) and try, try, and try again".

ps, to forestall a question I see as inevitable, "No", my wife's cell phone is not yet paired with the car's Nav system so it was a clean test.
Old 04-17-19, 11:11 PM
OBLexus
Driver

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

I’ve tried all the above in my 2018 ES350, but those options don’t exists in my car.
I live in the Middle East so I am guessing this is related to different software versions being distributed in different regions.
Old 04-18-19, 04:50 AM
Tootsall
Instructor

The best bet is to check the index of your Nav manual or owner manual for “Messages”. If there, you just have to make it work. Of course Lexus does change the functions of the Nav/Entertainment at times so it is possible it’s a function they dropped.
Old 04-18-19, 09:26 AM
meh9
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Original poster here...

I figured out the issue. On my phone, I had inadvertently not selected "Message Access" in the bluetooth settings. Obviously that allows our car to access SMS texts on the phone. Once I enabled that and restarted my phone, all of the messaging menus appeared on the car.
Old 04-18-19, 09:37 AM
Tootsall
Instructor

Originally Posted by meh9
Original poster here...

I figured out the issue. On my phone, I had inadvertently not selected "Message Access" in the bluetooth settings. Obviously that allows our car to access SMS texts on the phone. Once I enabled that and restarted my phone, all of the messaging menus appeared on the car.
Yes, on my phone the Bluetooth option is "Show Notifications". It must be turned ON. Glad you've got it working. I think it helps if a lot of the old SMS messages are deleted from your phone as well.

Quick Reply: Audible Text Notifications