Search this Thread

Old 04-29-19, 09:51 AM
camfused
Rookie

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by hisstojay
This is a great work I'm sure!!!!
I wished I have this strong will to remove all the panels
See the YouTube video in post #84. It is easier than you think.
The following users liked this post:
hisstojay (04-29-19)
Old 04-29-19, 11:25 AM
hisstojay
Pole Position

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by camfused
See the YouTube video in post #84. It is easier than you think.
I will try but not so soon.....
Old 04-03-21, 07:44 PM
abmoose
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by camfused
Ok, a progress report. I have replaced the 3 dash speakers and the 2 rear door speakers. I am waiting for a part (the ring adapters) for the 2 front door speakers.

I gotta first say hats off to member notabot! You rock for posting instructions and pics from when you did your speaker upgrades. I followed his instructions for:I ordered the following from Amazon:
$ 89.36 - 2 pair of Infinity REF-4022cfx 4" speakers
$ 72.00 - 1 pair of Infinity REF-9623ix 6x9" speakers, for front doors
$ 45.00 - 1 pair of Infinity REF-6522EX 6.5" speakers, for rear doors
$ 5.83 - Pry tool set
$ 8.99 - 2 pair of Metra 72-4568 wire adapters. These were used for the dash speakers.
$ 8.99 - 2 pair of Metra 72-8104 wire adapters. These were used for the front and rear speakers.
$ 15.36 - Metra 82-8148 speaker adapters for the rear speakers

I also ordered the SAK095 speaker adapter, for $36.44, from http://www.car-speaker-adapters.com/items.php?id=SAK095.
Update: I ordered this adapter on 16 March. I realized today (22 March) that I never did receive an email confirming this order. I tried to contact the company via phone, and 2 email addresses, but no response. Therefore, I am going to work with PayPal to try and get my money back. I have ordered the Metra 82-8149 adapter from Amazon for $18.22 instead. I think this will fit for the front door speakers.

Total project cost was: $282 $264

Install notes, so far (additional comments and pics from notabot's instructions):

Front Dash Speakers
- It is kind of tight working on the dash speakers. The windscreen is constantly in the way, and visibility is marginal. I frequently got out of the car and looked through the windscreen to see what I was doing.
- I used the small splunger (in fact so far I have only used that one) in that pry tool set. First with curve down to get the edge up, and then flipped over with the curve up to get the panels up the rest of the way. Pretty easy actually to get the panels up.
- The existing wire connector to the speakers is hard to get off the first time. You hold a locking tab down and slide it out, but it took me awhile to do the first one.
- The speakers came with 4 lugs, but you only need 2. I tried to fold 2 of them over, but that did not work. I then tried to break them off, and that did not work. I then got out the hacksaw and sawed them off. That worked pretty good. I was leery of getting too close to the rubber with the saw, but somehow managed to not cut the rubber up.
- The Metra 72-4568 wire adapters are for GM cars, but with some modification, you can get them to work. See notabot's instructions.
- The + on the new speaker is the white wire, and the - is the black wire. On the car-attached connector, the + is the side with the little key slot, which is black. So, I had to non-intuitively attach the connectors so that the colors did not match, but + to +.
- The first dash speaker took me 1.5 hours. The 2nd and 3rd ones took 5-7 mins each.

Now some pics:

Splunger kit, with my hand as a reference. Only used the small one, so far.

Upper left is stock corner dash speaker. Upper right is stock center dash speaker. Infinity 4" speaker, and the GM wire adapters (before modification)

Same speakers flipped over

Dash speaker after using the hacksaw. I did not file them smooth, because why bother, and no extra metal shavings.

Another view after using the hacksaw

What I sawed off

The GM connector before and after clipping the plastic away with wire cutters. You really just want the two metal prongs to stick out by themselves.

Another view of the connector after surgery

Sawed speaker, with modified wire adapter, all ready to be mounted.

When you plug the adapters together, there will be a gap, but no big deal. I wrapped in electrical tape to hold it all together.

Rear Door Speakers
- Pretty much like notabot's instructions
- I used the hand cut-out area to grip the bottom of the door to pull it from the connectors.
- I used the small splunger for the little panels and such.
- But, it took an hour to get the 1st door back on. Wow, it was scary and extremely frustrating. The 2nd door took 5 mins to get back on. I think the trick was to rock it on the top from front to back, and to roll the window down, but I was sweating the 2nd one. I hope the front doors are easier!

Verdict so far:
- About as hard/easy as I thought it would be. Definitely doable, if you prepare, and use notabot's instructions. I hope my additions help someone.
- As for the sound, most of the sound comes through the front door speakers, so I have not really experienced the change yet. Having said that, I did one side of the dash, then did a comparison. The Infinity side definitely sounded brighter and clearer. Way different. I also did a comparison with the rear door speakers and heard a similar positive change.

Hopefully, I will get the front door adapters soon, so I can tackle them.

Hey so I'm about to order some 4" speakers for my 2013 ES.. is the 2017 and 2013 the same? Looking at the Infinity 4032's or some Hertz speakers. What I'm also wondering is the specs say the infinity's are 3ohm.. are the stock speakers 4ohm? Any other info you can share? Is the sensitivity high on the stock speakers? Infinity's are 92db..
mrtupac (06-02-21)
Old 05-28-21, 10:56 PM
mjr7091
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Although this is a two year old thread [mostly} I want to thank camfused and others for some very useful information that I am following to upgrade the sound system on my 2017 Lexus ES 300h. Following are the speaker parts I am ordering and installing:

Front Speakers in Dash – 3 (from Amazon)
1) Metra 72-4568 harness adapter (hack) 12.09
2) Infinity REF-4032CFX: 2 pair – 4 speakers 129.90
Subtotal (excluding tax) $141.99

Front & Rear Door Speakers from Crutchfield
1) Infinity REF-9632ix: 1 pair - 89.95
2) Metra 82-8149 front door speaker adapter - 0.00
3) Metra 72-8104 Speaker wire harness - 0.00
4) Infinity REF-6532ix: 1 pair - 74.95
5) Metra 82-8148 Rear door speaker mount bracket - 0.00
6) Metra 72-8104 Speaker wire harness - 0.00
Subtotal (excluding tax) - $164.90

The same items from Amazon (front and rear door speakers) would have been $183.30 since the Metra items are not included with the speakers as they are from Crutchfield.

I also ordered 36 square feet of Siless Liner 157 mil closed foam car sound deadening (
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B085642G7M/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B085642G7M/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
). After reading many reviews, this seems that it would provide the desired sound deadening for $50 – even though Frost King insulation would be somewhat cheaper (2 rolls for ~ $38).
I found the install notes previously provided in this thread were very useful. Today (May 28, 2012) I installed the dash speakers. Following are some additional install notes from this effort:
- Only one tab needs to be removed on the center dash speaker. I used sheet metal sheers to easily cut away the tab(s).
- When installing new center dash speaker, it needs to tuck slightly under the dash support (see picture)
- The right dash speaker protruded up slightly since it sat on the plastic A/C vent – not a problem on the left side. I added a rubber washer on the left speaker attachment to relieve some of the pressure on the A/C vent when I bolted down the speaker.
- The holes in the speaker attachment flanges were slightly smaller than the bolt used to hold them in, so I carefully used a ¼” drill bit to widen them up. Then filed to smooth out.

In preparing for my ‘sound test”, I decided to use a CD instead of Bluetooth to my phone. This may deserve a separate thread (that may already exist??) – but I found that the CD/DVD disk player provides notably better quality than my phone via Bluetooth - which is APT versus APTX for newer Bluetooth connections. In addition, after doing some research on the web, I discovered how I can put over 25 playlists from iTunes on a single DVD (by making separate folders for each play list – a rather involved effort) that I can readily browse within the Lexus audio controls. As I said – a separate subject not related to installing speakers.

After installing the Infinity dash speakers, the sound seemed fuller and clearer compared to the stock dash speakers – assuming I am not imagining this. As I changed to Sound controls from Front to Rear, the sound became noticeably less clear and less full (less base). Although playing music from Disk now seems to provide some more noticeable base, I hope to notice even more base and clarity when I install my new door speakers, which I hope to do next week.

Center dash speaker installed. Note how front of speaker is slightly beneath dash.

Right dash cavity after removing old speaker.

Left dash speaker installed.

One other note: the nuts which clip onto the dash into which the bolts are screwed were not very tight and stuck to the speaker magnet when I removed the speaker. It would have been a bad situation if I had dropped one of these in the cavity. So I removed and tightened these up so they could not be easily dislodged before attaching the speaker and bolts.

Last edited by mjr7091; 05-28-21 at 10:58 PM. Reason: Extra characters were added
mrtupac (06-02-21)
Old 06-02-21, 10:01 PM
mrtupac
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Although this is a two year old thread [mostly} I want to thank camfused and others for some very useful information that I am following to upgrade the sound system on my 2017 Lexus ES 300h. Following are the speaker parts I am ordering and installing:

Front Speakers in Dash – 3 (from Amazon)
1) Metra 72-4568 harness adapter (hack) 12.09
2) Infinity REF-4032CFX: 2 pair – 4 speakers 129.90
Subtotal (excluding tax) $141.99

Front & Rear Door Speakers from Crutchfield
1) Infinity REF-9632ix: 1 pair - 89.95
2) Metra 82-8149 front door speaker adapter - 0.00
3) Metra 72-8104 Speaker wire harness - 0.00
4) Infinity REF-6532ix: 1 pair - 74.95
5) Metra 82-8148 Rear door speaker mount bracket - 0.00
6) Metra 72-8104 Speaker wire harness - 0.00
Subtotal (excluding tax) - $164.90

The same items from Amazon (front and rear door speakers) would have been $183.30 since the Metra items are not included with the speakers as they are from Crutchfield.

I also ordered 36 square feet of Siless Liner 157 mil closed foam car sound deadening (
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
). After reading many reviews, this seems that it would provide the desired sound deadening for $50 – even though Frost King insulation would be somewhat cheaper (2 rolls for ~ $38).
I found the install notes previously provided in this thread were very useful. Today (May 28, 2012) I installed the dash speakers. Following are some additional install notes from this effort:
- Only one tab needs to be removed on the center dash speaker. I used sheet metal sheers to easily cut away the tab(s).
- When installing new center dash speaker, it needs to tuck slightly under the dash support (see picture)
- The right dash speaker protruded up slightly since it sat on the plastic A/C vent – not a problem on the left side. I added a rubber washer on the left speaker attachment to relieve some of the pressure on the A/C vent when I bolted down the speaker.
- The holes in the speaker attachment flanges were slightly smaller than the bolt used to hold them in, so I carefully used a ¼” drill bit to widen them up. Then filed to smooth out.

In preparing for my ‘sound test”, I decided to use a CD instead of Bluetooth to my phone. This may deserve a separate thread (that may already exist??) – but I found that the CD/DVD disk player provides notably better quality than my phone via Bluetooth - which is APT versus APTX for newer Bluetooth connections. In addition, after doing some research on the web, I discovered how I can put over 25 playlists from iTunes on a single DVD (by making separate folders for each play list – a rather involved effort) that I can readily browse within the Lexus audio controls. As I said – a separate subject not related to installing speakers.

After installing the Infinity dash speakers, the sound seemed fuller and clearer compared to the stock dash speakers – assuming I am not imagining this. As I changed to Sound controls from Front to Rear, the sound became noticeably less clear and less full (less base). Although playing music from Disk now seems to provide some more noticeable base, I hope to notice even more base and clarity when I install my new door speakers, which I hope to do next week.

Center dash speaker installed. Note how front of speaker is slightly beneath dash.

Right dash cavity after removing old speaker.

Left dash speaker installed.

One other note: the nuts which clip onto the dash into which the bolts are screwed were not very tight and stuck to the speaker magnet when I removed the speaker. It would have been a bad situation if I had dropped one of these in the cavity. So I removed and tightened these up so they could not be easily dislodged before attaching the speaker and bolts.

​​​​​​​
Are you willing to sell that extra Infinity REF-4032CFX? I am currently adding things in my cart at the moment.

Old 06-03-21, 07:15 AM
mjr7091
Driver School Candidate

Yes, can do. $20 plus shipping. I will also include a GM speaker harness adapter - HSTECH 72-4568 for connecting to the Lexus speaker wire plug as described in this thread.

Last edited by mjr7091; 06-03-21 at 07:28 AM. Reason: Adding product information
mrtupac (06-03-21)
Old 06-03-21, 08:04 AM
mrtupac
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by mjr7091
Yes, can do. $20 plus shipping. I will also include a GM speaker harness adapter - HSTECH 72-4568 for connecting to the Lexus speaker wire plug as described in this thread.
Great! let me know what I need to do next. You can email me at mrlang12@yahoo.com
Old 06-15-21, 10:19 PM
mjr7091
Driver School Candidate

Post Installation Notes:

I have finished installing speakers in the front and rear doors in addition to the dash speakers as described in my earlier post. In summary my speaker system include 3 Infinity REF-4032CFX in the front dash, 2 Infinity REF-9632ix in the front doors and 2 Infinity REF-6532ix in the rear doors. I also insulated the doors with Siless Liner 157 mil closed foam car sound deadening plus some reflective non-stick insulation over the door openings. The most time consuming part of this work was installing the sound deadening material which involved cutting the material into smaller pieces to fit around support brackets inside the car door cavity, and to avoid most wiring on the outer part of the door. Removing and reinstalling the door panels was very quick and easy thanks to instructions in earlier posts. And removing the old speakers and installing new speakers was also very quick with the supplied mounting and cable harness adapters.

Results: Overall, I would say the sound is notably clearer and fuller – I can now better hear and feel the base at the low ends with the new speakers compared to the stock speakers. And the cabin is noticeably quieter with the sound insulation while on the road. Unfortunately I did not conduct any sound measurements before and after installing the insulation which would have given a more accurate assessment. However even with this upgrade, the bass is still not as full or deep compared to the Bose sound system that was on my ’05 Infiniti G35. A new sub-woofer might provide additional improvement on the low end, but would not be worth the effort since the rear seats would need to be removed. But overall, I am happy with the upgraded sound and quieter cabin.

Following are some pictures during installation:

Panel removed prior to installing insulation (left front door)

Insulation inside door cavity.

Insulation behind speaker

Fully insulated door with new speaker installed (right front door)
76Toy (11-01-22)
Old 07-14-21, 03:41 PM
mrtupac
Driver School Candidate

Default Ref-6532ex

Have a pair of speakers for the rear for sale. Comes with bracket and harness. Send me a message if you're interested!

update:sold!

Last edited by mrtupac; 08-05-21 at 09:34 PM. Reason: sold
Old 08-05-21, 09:14 PM
lukas123
Driver School Candidate

Default Put these 4 inches in without taking tabs off with no problem.

Originally Posted by hypervish
Thanks for the information! Sounds good, I'll stick with the 4022cfx. I'll try bending the tabs up first, otherwise I'll give it a go cutting the tabs off. Will keep everyone posted on how it goes, still need to order everything!

I put these 4 inches infinity in without taking the tabs off with out a problem.
Old 08-14-21, 05:49 AM
SMcFalls
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default JL Audio 10" Sub, Box, and Amp

I have a 2017 ES with base speaker system. Left everthing as is, but added the JL 10" sub. Amazing sound. Around $550 for it, then installation and wires. Totalled $875. At some point, I would love to replace the stock speakers with some Focals.
mjr7091 (08-21-21)
Old 10-28-21, 07:02 AM
Beemer46
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

So, to understand better, the 6.5s give more bass than the 6x9s? Did you actually install the 6x9 and then the 6.5 to test them?
Old 10-28-21, 07:32 AM
Beemer46
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks for posting the video. I read the instructions on this several times but actually seeing it being done was a confidence builder. Appreciate ya! Now to see how the front doors are removed. I am swapping out the dash speakers today and using the Lowes Frost sound deadner to cover the areas before installing the Infinity Reference 4032s. Once finished, Ill order the Infinitys for the front and rear doors and tackle those when I have a full day for it Thanks again
Old 07-16-22, 05:16 PM
shoodes
Pit Crew

Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Beemer46
Thanks for posting the video. I read the instructions on this several times but actually seeing it being done was a confidence builder. Appreciate ya! Now to see how the front doors are removed. I am swapping out the dash speakers today and using the Lowes Frost sound deadner to cover the areas before installing the Infinity Reference 4032s. Once finished, Ill order the Infinitys for the front and rear doors and tackle those when I have a full day for it Thanks again
Hey! This is really late but do you happen tot have the extra Infinity 4032 from the second pair? I'm looking to do the upgrade pretty soon and I really don't want to have an extra one lying around haha.
Old 07-22-22, 09:36 PM
ptthere
Driver

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by shoodes
Hey! This is really late but do you happen tot have the extra Infinity 4032 from the second pair? I'm looking to do the upgrade pretty soon and I really don't want to have an extra one lying around haha.
I have an extra new Sound Ordnance 4" 4-ohm speaker leftover from when I did the dash speakers in my car. Also, if you buy the Red Wolf adapters off Amazon, they are plug and play to the factory dash connectors (just have to reverse the polarity of the leads). I only used the SO speaker for the center channel because it was 4-ohm. Everything else in the car I replaced with JBL.

Quick Reply: Speaker upgrades