ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Speaker upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-19, 05:23 PM
camfused
Rookie

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

I think it is interesting that you guys now notice a lack of bass, by changing the dash speakers. I guess the brighter, better highs and mids is making that more apparent??? A wonder what a psychologist would say

L3XUSFAN, when I put the new 6.5" speakers in the rear doors, I noticed a little better bass. And, then when I had the new 6x9 speakers in the front doors, I noticed an additional improvement in bass. For my tastes it was starting to get boomy though. Since your car already has a subwoofer (they all do, right???), then I would not personally go the path of replacing the one in the rear deck, and I would try the doors first. Besides, I *think* I read somewhere here that changing the subwoofer in the rear deck is a sheetmetal cutting pain in the rear (but I could be mis-remembering).
The following users liked this post:
hisstojay (03-29-19)
Old 03-30-19, 01:36 PM
L3XUSFAN
Driver

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by camfused
I think it is interesting that you guys now notice a lack of bass, by changing the dash speakers. I guess the brighter, better highs and mids is making that more apparent??? A wonder what a psychologist would say

L3XUSFAN, when I put the new 6.5" speakers in the rear doors, I noticed a little better bass. And, then when I had the new 6x9 speakers in the front doors, I noticed an additional improvement in bass. For my tastes it was starting to get boomy though. Since your car already has a subwoofer (they all do, right???), then I would not personally go the path of replacing the one in the rear deck, and I would try the doors first. Besides, I *think* I read somewhere here that changing the subwoofer in the rear deck is a sheetmetal cutting pain in the rear (but I could be mis-remembering).
I went to crutchfield and ordered infinity ref-9633ix, as the adviser said it would be a good fit. It seems that is basically the same model that you returned. The item is backordered for a while so it will take some time to get here. When you mentioned it got too boomy was it too much where you could feel the bass? Since some of us are noticing less bass hopefully the new speaker will balance it out. The other option was to buy the ref-6522ex (the ones you used for the rear door) and use those instead for the front doors. For the rear door speakers, do they provide additional bass over stock? I am wondering if i am making mistake in buying the ref-9633ix instead ref-6522ex. All i need is a little more bass but nothing too crazy.
Old 03-30-19, 03:21 PM
camfused
Rookie

L3XUSFAN, I did feel and hear the bass out of those 6x9s (but then again I feel and hear the bass from the stock front doors). It is so subjective, sorry. So, I think you are just going to need to try it. The new rear door speakers did provide more bass than the stock ones. Please do report in after you do.

I do think you would be hard pressed to hear a difference between the Infinity REF-9623ix and Infinity REF-9633ix. The 9623ix are now just $61.75 on Amazon, which is probably way cheaper than Crutchfield's price on the newer ones.
Old 03-30-19, 05:48 PM
L3XUSFAN
Driver

Originally Posted by camfused
L3XUSFAN, I did feel and hear the bass out of those 6x9s (but then again I feel and hear the bass from the stock front doors). It is so subjective, sorry. So, I think you are just going to need to try it. The new rear door speakers did provide more bass than the stock ones. Please do report in after you do.

I do think you would be hard pressed to hear a difference between the Infinity REF-9623ix and Infinity REF-9633ix. The 9623ix are now just $61.75 on Amazon, which is probably way cheaper than Crutchfield's price on the newer ones.
Your right crutchfield is more and I am having second thoughts on the 6x9s. I think they might be too harsh as well. I am going to cancel the crutchfield order and get the 6.5" 2 way speakers you used for the rear doors and put them on the front doors instead. I'll leave the rear doors as is. That way the fronts will be an improvement (in sound and bass over stock) and should match the dash speakers quite well, while avoiding the harshness of the 6x9's as well. I think this is the better way to go.
Old 03-30-19, 07:51 PM
camfused
Rookie

That sounds like a good strategy! Gee, I probably should have tried that too. I have no spare money right now, so i'll live with what I have (for now).

Remember that you will need a different mount bracket for the 6.5" ones, the Metra 82-8150.
Old 04-01-19, 06:06 AM
AlexNY
Pit Crew

Received 50 Likes on 33 Posts

man, i got cold feet. i don't think i'll be doing any of the door speakers.

i know for a fact that i'd want to do an amp + sub in the trunk once i do all 4 doors, as most likely i will not be satisfied with just doing the doors. I shall stop at the 3 dash speakers, i'm happy enough now.
I hate this feeling.........a part of me wants to upgrade all 4 doors + sub + amp. But my 40 year old conscience is stopping me from doing this.
These focals are on sale........https://www.crutchfield.com/p_091ISC...165.html?avf=Y
Old 04-04-19, 05:32 PM
AlexNY
Pit Crew

forgive me Lord, for i have fallen to temptation..................
i knew i was gonna get sucked into this rabbit hole.

here goes nothing:

Old 04-04-19, 06:38 PM
camfused
Rookie

May The Force be with you!

If the Crutchfield instructions offer up any hints on how to put the door panels back on for the rear doors, please let us know.

Last edited by camfused; 04-05-19 at 06:02 AM.
AlexNY (04-05-19)
Old 04-05-19, 06:59 PM
L3XUSFAN
Driver

Did the front doors and the sound is better. The oem speakers feel cheap and weigh nothing, Lexus did a poor job with this system. Overall I'm happy with the changes i made. the dash speakers are a must. The front door speakers will add a little more bass and support the dash speakers. It takes 3 minutes to remove the front door panel, its that easy. It takes 20 minutes to put the stupid thing back on. You have to get the door panel hooked on the metal frame. Everything was plug and play and all the parts were free through crutchfield with my speaker purchase.

I do want to say that when you start upgrading speakers you get the urge to upgrade everything. After this I want to add a sub, rear speakers, and an amp. It can quickly get expensive. For now I think im done with the speaker upgrades, I'm happy as it is. Total cost for the dash and front door speakers is $173 (includes hardware). The cost is cheap enough that everyone should consider this.
camfused (04-06-19)
Old 04-07-19, 01:38 PM
AlexNY
Pit Crew

Oh boy

white flag, i give up

both front doors done in 35 minutes

1 rear door removal and speaker swap done in 15 minutes

and then....... currently 4 hours and 40 minutes trying to install rear door panel
the window channel just does not align. I cannot for the life of me get the clips on the weatherstrip to go inside the window channel

Last edited by AlexNY; 04-07-19 at 04:06 PM.
Old 04-07-19, 01:59 PM
camfused
Rookie

Dude! Ok, after you have had a breather, 1) make sure the window is rolled down, 2) (assuming you are doing the left door) use your left hand fingers to pry the top lip out a bit, while pushing the top "shelf" down with your right palm, rolling from front to rear. I hope that makes sense. It ain't easy, at all. I hate the rear doors!

If that does not work, around me, there are small shops that specialize in Toyota/Lexus service. Probably around you too. Maybe you could give one 20 bucks to show you how to do it. It would take one of them just a few minutes.

Last edited by camfused; 04-07-19 at 02:03 PM.
Old 04-07-19, 04:18 PM
AlexNY
Pit Crew

i figured it out.

There is a VERY EASY method of installing the rear door panel back into the door.
You have to first remove the weatherstrip from the door panel and install that first into the window channel. This is MUCH easier than putting the door panel in 1 piece.
I finished the second rear door in literally 15 minutes. So easy once you figure it out.

Here are pics:

closeup of metal clamp that needs to be hooked onto the window channel

metal clamp installed into window channel.

window channel where the metal clamps need to go

closeup of metal clamp that needs to be hooked onto the window channel

this is how they are hooked into the door panel. you have to squeze and apply some force to get them out

this is the weatherstrip with metal clamps, you have to remove this from the door panel and install into the window channel FIRST

this is the weatherstrip with metal clamps, you have to remove this from the door panel and install into the window channel FIRST

weatherstrip and all metal clamps installed into the window channel
The following 2 users liked this post by AlexNY:
camfused (04-07-19), TotalOCD (08-03-23)
Old 04-07-19, 04:41 PM
camfused
Rookie

Outstanding job! I may just have to try that on one of the rear doors. I suspect it would make the front doors easier too.

How about sounding in (pun intended) on how it sounds now?
Old 04-07-19, 05:13 PM
AlexNY
Pit Crew

The focals sound awesome, much fuller sound stage than before.

my main goal was to get better bass, so i opted for 2 way coaxial for front door instead of 3 way or the like.
i have to burn them in, so i won't be pushing them much until a week or so.
But so far, the bass is much more substantial than before. Obviously, this pales in comparison to even the cheapest amp + sub in box combo, but it's enough to satisfy my needs.
Old 04-08-19, 04:01 AM
AlexNY
Pit Crew

just a pic to compare the stock speaker to the focal speaker:

Just look at the magnet size difference!
looking at the stock speaker, i'm amazed at the fact they produce actual sound.

Quick Reply: Speaker upgrades