ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Speaker upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-19, 02:02 AM
hisstojay
Pole Position

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by AlexNY
i think the hardest part is putting the door together. I fear it might never have the fit and finish of factory.

and also, the door speakers really not that bad for a stock speaker. The dash ones are the ones that were really bad.

Good luck and keep us posted!
I also have this fear feeling too...
Old 03-25-19, 04:11 AM
camfused
Rookie

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Congrats AlexNY! Does this resolve your original complaint about the voices in the AM HD radio?
Old 03-25-19, 04:40 AM
AlexNY
Pit Crew

Received 50 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by camfused
Congrats AlexNY! Does this resolve your original complaint about the voices in the AM HD radio?
YES!

i can now hear AM radio clearly. And vocals in songs sound so much better.

Now, i need to add some bass..........and maybe swap out the door speakers as well. i'm thinking to do maybe a single 10 or 12" sub, i want to enhance the bass over stock, but don't want to be rattling the whole neighborhood.
The difference in clarity overall coming out of the dash speakers is unreal vs stock. For those of you who have removed the stock speakers, you know what i mean. The stock dash speakers are tiny, i think the tweeter is like a 2", and it's a paper cone.

I could honestly just stop here as i achieved what i was seeking. But but but............now i want to improve the door speakers. If the dash speakers made this much of a difference.......imagine what the doors would do.................
Must stop.............wallet not happy

Last edited by AlexNY; 03-25-19 at 05:51 AM.
Old 03-26-19, 04:21 AM
camfused
Rookie

Well, I am about to put the stock speakers back in the front doors. I just cannot figure out any settings where the overall sound is as good as it was when the 2 stock speakers where in there, at least for my tastes.

After changing the 3 dash speakers (and the rear doors probably helped), it sounded nearly ideal. So, this morning, I will put the 2 stock front door speakers back in. I am getting pretty good at this
Old 03-26-19, 04:42 AM
AlexNY
Pit Crew

Well, I am about to put the stock speakers back in the front doors. I just cannot figure out any settings where the overall sound is as good as it was when the 2 stock speakers where in there, at least for my tastes.

After changing the 3 dash speakers (and the rear doors probably helped), it sounded nearly ideal. So, this morning, I will put the 2 stock front door speakers back in. I am getting pretty good at this
I'm surprised that you did not hear any improvements over stock. I mean just doing a physical comparison there's significant size differences so i thought aftermarket speakers would move a lot more air than stock.
Maybe the stock amp is not powerful enough for the infinity speakers you installed. I noticed on my dash speakers that they can be pushed much higher than the stock amp can.
Or maybe you are starting to hit diminishing returns after hearing the dash + rear doors.
I'm thinking of doing different brand speakers for the doors, something more bass oriented as currently bass is non-existent in my car. I'm still doing research to see what is the best bang for the buck,
Do you feel any better bass coming from the front speakers you installed?
Old 03-26-19, 04:42 AM
hisstojay
Pole Position

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

...... I am getting pretty good at this
What a task!!! For sure you must be getting pretty good at this For me I do get cold feet dismantling door panels
Old 03-26-19, 05:26 AM
camfused
Rookie

I'm surprised that you did not hear any improvements over stock. I mean just doing a physical comparison there's significant size differences so i thought aftermarket speakers would move a lot more air than stock.
Maybe the stock amp is not powerful enough for the infinity speakers you installed. I noticed on my dash speakers that they can be pushed much higher than the stock amp can.
Or maybe you are starting to hit diminishing returns after hearing the dash + rear doors.
I'm thinking of doing different brand speakers for the doors, something more bass oriented as currently bass is non-existent in my car. I'm still doing research to see what is the best bang for the buck,
Do you feel any better bass coming from the front speakers you installed?
The 3-way 6x9 front door Infinitys definitely add more bass. I think they are just too much speaker for the set up. Perhaps another pair of the ones that I put in the rear door would be ok, since they were 6.5" and 2-way? At this point, I am not going to dump any more money in it.

On one of the reference songs that I was using to test the set up with, each time I made a change, I now hear almost a reverberation on a particular note. It is rather noticeable and harsh to listen to. I don't know what I am talking about, but I am guessing that this might be at the crossover frequency on the 3-ways, and there is some sort of harmonic flipflop going on between the speakers (either within the 3-way or with the dash speakers). It is hard to describe but annoying to listen to. Before I changed the front door speakers, this was not present.

The lesson here, at least for me, is: once you change out the 3 dash speakers, STOP. Play a bunch of different types of reference music. If it sounds really good to you (and I was very pleased with it before doing the front doors), then you are done. If you want a little more bass, then tackle the rear door speakers, and possibly the front door speakers.

So, for sale: 1 set of Infinity 3-way 6x9 speakers, barely used, pre-mounted for a Lexus ES (Toyota Camry).

Last edited by camfused; 03-26-19 at 01:53 PM.
The following users liked this post:
RedRover (03-29-19)
Old 03-26-19, 05:27 AM
camfused
Rookie

Originally Posted by hisstojay
What a task!!! For sure you must be getting pretty good at this For me I do get cold feet dismantling door panels
Your foot temperature is correct for the rear doors. The front doors are really not bad at all.
The following users liked this post:
hisstojay (03-26-19)
Old 03-26-19, 05:43 AM
AlexNY
Pit Crew

The 3-way 6x9 front door Infinitys definitely add more bass. I think they are just too much speaker for the set up. Perhaps another pair of the ones that I put in the rear door would be ok, since they were 6.5" and 2-way? At this point, I am not going to dump any more money in it.

On one of the reference songs that I was using to test the set up with, each time I made a change, I now hear almost a reverberation on a particular note. It is rather noticeable and harsh to listen to. I don't know what I am talking about, but I am guessing that this might be at the crossover frequency on the 3-ways, and there is some sort of harmonic flipflop going on between the speakers (either within the 3-way or with the dash speakers). It is hard to describe but annoying to listen to. Before I changed the front door speakers, this was not present.

The lesson here, at least for me, is: once you change out the 3 dash speakers, STOP. Play a bunch of different types of reference music. If it sounds really good to you (and I was very pleased with it before doing the front doors), then you are done. If you want a little more bass, then tackle the rear door speakers, and possibly the front door speakers.

So, for sale: 1 set of Infinity 3-way 6x9 speakers, barely used, pre-mounted for a Lexus ES (Toyota Camry).
oh man, i'm starting to get cold feet myself.......
And you hit it right on the spot, i am quite pleased with the 3 dash speakers. And remember, i installed 3.5" in the corners. I'm going to be swapping them to 4" either today or tomorrow.
But since you mention they do provide more bass, i think i'm going to swap out the front and rear door speakers anyways.
By the way, where did you purchase the speakers? if you bought from amazon, you can return them and get a full refund. It's the beauty of amazon. As long as you didn't modify anything physically to the speakers that is.
I'm returning my 3.5" once i install the 4". i'm making sure they are as spotless as they were when i first opened them.

Any tips for removing and re-attaching the door panels? would love some wise tips before i can set aside my fears of not returning the door panels to factory fit and finish.
Either way, props for taking on this project. i honestly had lots of fun swapping out the dash speakers. It was much easier done than said (does this make any sense?)
Old 03-26-19, 07:16 AM
camfused
Rookie

Ok, I got them changed back to stock, and I have the sound I like back. About 10 minutes per front door.

When I did my rear doors, I noticed a white plastic fastener on the garage floor that had popped out, after I was all done of course. So just now, being a glutton for punishment, I decided to take that rear door panel off and put the fastener back on. Oye, I hate the rear doors! It was just as hard this time to get the panel back on. You have been warned! Again, front doors are not too bad.

A non-speaker relate topic: We had a real down pour last night while I was out shopping. When I had the front doors apart just now, I noticed a few drops inside. I guess this is normal?

As for returning to Amazon, where I bought all this stuff, I packaged it back up and it was clean enough to return, so I did. Just had to pay return shipping.

Too bad you guys don't live near me, or I would help you with your door installs.

Last edited by camfused; 03-26-19 at 07:50 AM.
Old 03-26-19, 08:16 AM
camfused
Rookie

Any tips for removing and re-attaching the door panels? would love some wise tips before i can set aside my fears of not returning the door panels to factory fit and finish...
Do the front doors first, if you are going to do them! Hold the panel as vertical as you can, and rock in the top from the front to the back of the car, while pushing straight down. You are getting the panel to go straight down so that the metal door seam is going into a grove in the panel.

The stupid door light at the bottom has a way too short wire, and the assembly and/or bulb holder will probably detach itself from the door (instead of the connector). If so, then I recommend using the pry tool to popup the lens and everything from the door. This way, you just need to poke the wire through the hole when you reassemble the panel, then you can plug the wire into the assembly and it then just pops back on the door. I hope I explained that one ok.
Old 03-26-19, 08:30 AM
AlexNY
Pit Crew

Do the front doors first, if you are going to do them! Hold the panel as vertical as you can, and rock in the top from the front to the back of the car, while pushing straight down. You are getting the panel to go straight down so that the metal door seam is going into a grove in the panel.

The stupid door light at the bottom has a way too short wire, and the assembly and/or bulb holder will probably detach itself from the door (instead of the connector). If so, then I recommend using the pry tool to popup the lens and everything from the door. This way, you just need to poke the wire through the hole when you reassemble the panel, then you can plug the wire into the assembly and it then just pops back on the door. I hope I explained that one ok.
Thanks for the tips! i'll keep those in mind.
i'm very familiar with the door courtessy lights, as i swapped all 4 to LEDs. And yes i too noticed an extremely short wire for these lights.
Man, this is going to be a fun weekend for me.
Old 03-26-19, 11:21 PM
NachoNYC
Driver

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Great thread and job on the installation!
The dash upgrade is too affordable to pass up. Ordered a pair on Amazon. Please inbox me if you have a leftover, single Infinity REF-4022cfx for sale.

Last edited by NachoNYC; 03-27-19 at 06:41 AM.
Old 03-27-19, 08:38 AM
AlexNY
Pit Crew

Camfused, which brackets did you use for the front speakers? or did they bolt without any speaker brackets?

i'm still debating this, most likely will make a decision today as i have to order from amazon today to guarantee a delivery before the weekend.

Man, i never thought that the most exciting thing to do on a weekend is working on my car LOL
Old 03-27-19, 09:02 AM
camfused
Rookie

Camfused, which brackets did you use for the front speakers? or did they bolt without any speaker brackets?

i'm still debating this, most likely will make a decision today as i have to order from amazon today to guarantee a delivery before the weekend.

Man, i never thought that the most exciting thing to do on a weekend is working on my car LOL
You mean the front door speakers, right? I used the
Metra 82-8149 Metra 82-8149
. Worked perfectly, at least with the 6x9 Infinitys.

And, you need to have these adapters (or something similar).

Quick Reply: Speaker upgrades