ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Lackluster V6 on ES350

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-19, 11:56 AM
Epcole
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Lackluster V6 on ES350

Hi guys, newcomer here, always been a Lexus fan and finally grabbed my first last summer. So far I've been pretty happy with the car except for one thing that I keep noticing while driving.
Coming from a long line of 4 cylinders I expected my first V6 to pack some noticeable punch but so far my ES350 feels more like a boat than a car. It seems to be lacking adequate power - even when I get up to speed and try to cruise it feels like the engine is fighting the car as soon as I pull my foot back, and depending on the speed, it sometimes feels like a downshift. Sport mode gives a little boost but its nothing compared to my previous turbo-4.

I am getting the estimated 24-27 combined mpg so no complaints there, but I expected more from an engine this big. Just curious if this is a normal experience when driving this car or is something wrong with my car?
Old 02-16-19, 01:59 PM
Albo
Pole Position

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

My 2000 camry picked up faster than this. But I'm no expert. Sport mode helps for sure. But I heard the V6 is much heavier than a 4 cylinder so maybe that's why the 4s zip around quicker. But this engine definitely handles better at higher speeds than my old 4cylinder. No shaking. No sounds making me think something is straining or having trouble. The ES is supposed to be the cushiony floaty type after all. For the performance people an IS or GS would have been a better option. Also somewhat on topic, before I decided on the ES, I looked into the new 2018 camry at the time and deciding between the v4 or v6 and a lot of reviews online said the v4 was more nimble overall
Old 02-16-19, 02:57 PM
mcomer
Lead Lap

Received 844 Likes on 638 Posts

The Fuel Injection "learns" your driving habits over time. Try disconnection the 12v battery for
10 minutes and reconnecting it. You will need to re-pair phones and Nav waypoints, etc.
Now drive as you want to and see if the car responds differently than before.
OP reports the MPG is OK so I am assuming that there is nothing silly wrong here such
as a dirty air cleaner or non-synthetic oil causing the lack of punch.
Old 02-16-19, 03:46 PM
JimInTN
Pit Crew

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

How would non-synthetic oil cause a "lack of punch"?
Old 02-16-19, 06:42 PM
Epcole
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I skipped the IS because of interior room but maybe I should have checked out the GS before purchasing. I actually bought the ES after I couldn't find a Genesis G70 at the price I wanted so I didn't look at the whole Lexus lineup - only the comparable ES. I'll have to check out the GS sometime, but anyway glad to know the car is meant to feel that way. I'll try the battery thing and see if it changes anything though.

On an unrelated topic, any idea where to find specs on the rear subwoofer or how to remove it? I'd like to either change it or put an enclosed sub in.
Old 02-18-19, 06:38 AM
mcomer
Lead Lap

Received 844 Likes on 638 Posts

Synthetic oil is specified by most manufacturers because it allows both longer
change intervals and increases MPG ratings. Lots of threads on how much
"slipperier" it is than Dead Dinosaur oil but it lets the motor turn easier...more
power...more punch?
Old 02-18-19, 07:01 AM
pab12
Intermediate

Received 48 Likes on 37 Posts

>I expected my first V6 to pack some noticeable punch
I'm very surprised by that since I've always thought that the 3.5 was pretty beefy. I can generate a considerable amount of wheel spin if I go WFO from a complete stop (try it, I think you or your passenger will be surprised).
What speeds do notice a lack of response? Unfortunately, modern 6+ speed transmissions seem to want to reach the highest gear as quickly as possible leading multiple down shifts when a driver wants to pass a slower car. That delay in finding the appropriate gear can be quite noticeable.
=================================
My karma just ran over your dogma
Current Hers: '13 Lexus ES350
Current Mine: '15 Jaguar XF (its aubergine)
Old 02-18-19, 01:03 PM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,010 Likes on 691 Posts

I can't say for sure whether the OP's car is performing properly, but I've considered the 3.5 liter V6 to be one of the strong points of the Generation 6 ES. In many ways, its smooth power delivery reminds me of the small block V8 engines that were a staple of GM cars in the 1960s.

What I've thought was great about the 3.5 liter V6 is the way it is capable of delivering power over a wide rpm range. That is something that a 4 cylinder engine, regardless of how many horsepower it has or what turbo chargers or other enhancements it has just does not do.

Lexus specs have said that 0-60 times for the engine are around 7 seconds, but independent testers have reported 0-60 times at around 6 seconds. That doesn't make it a Porsche 911 or a Corvette, but for a relatively large sedan, I think it does a great job of providing smooth and confident power.
The following users liked this post:
hisstojay (02-19-19)
Old 02-18-19, 03:58 PM
cephas
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

From a standing start I would generally agree with the OP, but I think they do it on purpose because it's front wheel drive. The nature of the platform can't handle a ton of power without wheel spin and torque steer. When I first got the car I thought I would be able to punch it, but the wheels don't hook up well and torque steer occurs pretty badly. I blame the weight of the car and front wheel drive more than the engine, which is one of the best naturally aspirated V6s around. There is a reason why cars with a ton of power are rear wheel drive - that configuration can put the power down properly.

For me, this engine shines the most when you're on the move and need passing power on the highway. A downshift into S mode and there is good power at the ready to make a pass. Otherwise, if I need to jut out of traffic, I have learned to start moderately so the wheels hook up and then apply the power so it translates on the road.
The following 2 users liked this post by cephas:
Cantinflas (02-21-19), hisstojay (02-19-19)
Old 02-19-19, 07:53 AM
Littleguy
Intermediate

Received 44 Likes on 32 Posts

I doubt a GS would feel more punchy. You are getting the same engine, just adding a driveshaft in the way.
Old 02-19-19, 08:14 AM
st1800
Advanced

Received 92 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by Littleguy
I doubt a GS would feel more punchy. You are getting the same engine, just adding a driveshaft in the way.
The ES is rated at 268 HP and the GS is rated at 306 HP.
Old 02-19-19, 08:29 AM
AlexNY
Pit Crew

Received 50 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Littleguy
actually there's a significant difference.

GS being rear wheel drive, engine tuned to 306 hp and a more aggresive transmission.

the gs feels closer to a sports sedan.

The ES is basically for old people i guess, i'd have never ever considered one 10 years ago. or even 5 years ago.

Now that i'm driving one every day, i can say i was right. the thing handles like a boat, steering is lazy as heck, acceleration is laughably bad, body roll is laughably bad, turning radius also bad, sports mode does absolutely jack squat.

But i don't care, i'm done with speeding tickets. i just want to get from home to work and back to home comfortably. There's no denying the ES is a comfortable ride.
The following 4 users liked this post by AlexNY:
Cantinflas (02-21-19), RedRover (03-04-19), signdetres (02-19-19), zes (05-11-19)
Old 02-19-19, 08:32 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

I had that 3.5 V6 in my RX350 and never found it wanting for power, and that was in an AWD vehicle that weighed more, so I am surprised to hear the OP state that it feels light on power.
Old 02-19-19, 08:58 AM
Littleguy
Intermediate

Received 44 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by AlexNY
actually there's a significant difference.

GS being rear wheel drive, engine tuned to 306 hp and a more aggresive transmission.

the gs feels closer to a sports sedan.

The ES is basically for old people i guess, i'd have never ever considered one 10 years ago. or even 5 years ago.

Now that i'm driving one every day, i can say i was right. the thing handles like a boat, steering is lazy as heck, acceleration is laughably bad, body roll is laughably bad, turning radius also bad, sports mode does absolutely jack squat.

But i don't care, i'm done with speeding tickets. i just want to get from home to work and back to home comfortably. There's no denying the ES is a comfortable ride.
Hmm, I didn't realize there was a power difference. In that case, you're right.

I will say, at 39 years old, I am thankful to get back into my ES after I drive my RX-7 around for a day, hahaha.
Old 02-19-19, 09:07 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

The GS and ES didn't get the same V6 until model year 2019 (2GR-FKS).

The 6th gen ES had the 2GR-FE (268hp), an engine I have loved very much! The current gen GS used the 2GR-FSE (306hp) from model years 2013-3015 and switched to the 2GR-FKS (311hp) from 2016-2019.
The following users liked this post:
signdetres (02-19-19)

Quick Reply: Lackluster V6 on ES350