ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

2014 ES350 Total Loss... How much left..

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-19, 07:37 AM
gamma742
Intermediate

Received 60 Likes on 48 Posts

A year ago my wife had a 2010 Prius with a 97K miles on it. I wanted to trade it in on a 2013 CT200h with 30K miles asking $16,995. The Lexus was only willing to give us $4500 in trade. My wife really wanted the CT but we declined their offer and drive the Prius home. 3 months later the Prius was involved in an accident (not at fault) and we were given $10,200 for the Total Loss. While were weren't able to get the low mileage CT she fell in love with, we found a 2012 just like it with a higher mileage similarly equipped from a private seller for $12,500.

All I'm try to say is, use this as an opportunity to get into a 2016 Refreshed ES with a little extra money. That's what I would do in your situation. I love my 2013 ES300h but I would like even more to own a 2016+ if I had the opportunity. I have learned the the Insurance Company pays better than the Dealership will on trade in value.
Old 02-08-19, 02:09 AM
Poppa
Instructor

Received 166 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by Maikerusan
Yes--I am saying exactly that. Remember though I live in Canada and policies here I would assume are quite a bit different than those in USA.

I just pulled out my policy. I pay $208 on my 2015 (all figures in Canadian $) this year for what is called 5-Year Replacement Cost Advantage/ It works on a sliding scale... in Year 1 the cost is cheaper (literally peanuts) and it goes up every year you continue the coverage.---the 2nd year more, 3 year higher etc, as the gap widens between what a new car would cost and what your old one would be worth. You can cancel any year.

Here is a cut and paste from the insurance website showing what it is and what it covers. The actual company is Primmum Insurance Company which underwrites the TD Insurance Meloche Monnex home and auto insurance program for members of employer groups and other associations throughout Canada under the trade name TD Insurance Meloche Monnex. Its program is distributed by Meloche Monnex Insurance and Financial Services in Quebec and by TD Insurance Direct Agency Inc. in the rest of Canada.

A new vehicle is a big investment, so you want to be sure that you won’t lose out if you fall victim to theft or have a serious accident. With our Replacement Cost Advantage, you have that guarantee.Here’s how the coverage works.

If your car is declared a total loss within a period of up to 5 years of the time of purchase, we’ll replace it with a new one – the same model with the same options. That means there will be no depreciation of the value of your car. Please note that the original delivery date of the vehicle and the date the policy takes effect determine the expiry date of the Replacement Cost Advantage product.Who’s eligible?
  • You must have an auto insurance policy with one of our companies that offer the Replacement Cost Advantage and satisfy its conditions.
  • You must be a licensed driver of a private passenger vehicle.
  • Your car has to be declared a total loss due to an accident or because it was stolen, vandalized or involved in a weather-related incident such as hail or a severe storm.
  • You must be the original owner or lessee.
  • Your car has to be new or a demo.
  • The value of your vehicle must not exceed $65,000 in Quebec or $100,000 in the rest of Canada, including taxes and accessories.
  • You must reside in Alberta, Ontario, Quebec or an Atlantic province.
Thanks for sharing that.. I've never seen an auto policy like that where you can basically buy total replacement coverage over a 5 year time span... that's interesting to say the least. Please know I wasn't doubting your word, I was just curious as I have never seen a policy like that before..
Old 02-08-19, 02:15 AM
Poppa
Instructor

Received 166 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by Kijug
I was curious on price...so I looked up KBB. I have a 2014 ES UL with all options. To be frank, I paid $50K OTD (about 5% below MSRP+TTL if I recall). At "Very Good" condition and 68K miles, KBB says between $16K - $17K now.

I plan to keep the car for 10+ years, depends on how it holds up...but I suspect it will. Nevertheless, that's the way cars go. Drive off the lot and you're already 10% down and the clock is ticking. =)
I did the same thing with my ES.. don't recall the exact numbers but it was in the 17K to 19K range.. only I put down that mine was in excellent condition.. funny thing ( not really funny by any means ), I also ran the numbers on KBB for my 2010 Toyota 4 Runner... KBB spit back a trade in and private sale number that was better than my ES, even though my Es is 3 years newer and has 20K miles less mileage on it. Go figure.
Old 02-08-19, 04:44 AM
Maikerusan
Advanced

Received 48 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Poppa
Thanks for sharing that.. I've never seen an auto policy like that where you can basically buy total replacement coverage over a 5 year time span... that's interesting to say the least. Please know I wasn't doubting your word, I was just curious as I have never seen a policy like that before..
No problem Poppa. Maybe it's just an offering they do in Canada.

The question I have asked myself at times is whether it is worth it or not. As the car get's older, the price increases up to the 5 year level. I've never actually written a car off, but you never know.

I remember one year the additional cost on my wife's car was only $19 for the year (on a Prius V), so at that price it's a great deal. Will wait to see what they want to charge in a few months when my policy comes due again
Old 02-08-19, 08:09 AM
AlexNY
Pit Crew

Received 50 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Poppa
I did the same thing with my ES.. don't recall the exact numbers but it was in the 17K to 19K range.. only I put down that mine was in excellent condition.. funny thing ( not really funny by any means ), I also ran the numbers on KBB for my 2010 Toyota 4 Runner... KBB spit back a trade in and private sale number that was better than my ES, even though my Es is 3 years newer and has 20K miles less mileage on it. Go figure.
another funny thing:

the insurance on my 54k (msrp) mercedes was cheaper than my 43k (msrp) lexus ES. just 1 year apart, benz was 2016 and ES is 2015.

Why the hell i gotta pay $20 more monthly for my Lexus is a total mystery to me, specially on a ES. Like who the hell drives recklessly on a ES that handles like a boat?
Old 02-08-19, 09:52 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 615 Likes on 463 Posts

Originally Posted by AlexNY
another funny thing:

the insurance on my 54k (msrp) mercedes was cheaper than my 43k (msrp) lexus ES. just 1 year apart, benz was 2016 and ES is 2015.

Why the hell i gotta pay $20 more monthly for my Lexus is a total mystery to me, specially on a ES. Like who the hell drives recklessly on a ES that handles like a boat?
Maybe, because the value of the ES passes that of the Benz pretty quickly.