ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

How do i disable "toll booth ahead" warning?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-19, 08:15 PM
Khoi2610
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do i disable "toll booth ahead" warning?

Hi guys, I've been looking everywhere for an answer to this question with no success. My family owns 2 lexuses (lexi?), a 2015 es350 and a 2018 RX350. Both of them have an annoying thing that i've been trying to disable. Whenever we are on the highway, the "toll booth ahead" keeps popping up on the nav screen and it's annoying because it tends to pop up when we are exiting or entering somewhere and it wont shows us the exact route to take until we clear the toll booth. I'm hoping someone here might have a solution for that. (and no we don't want to just avoid the highway all together). Thanks
Old 01-31-19, 05:15 AM
AlexNY
Pit Crew

Received 50 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Khoi2610
Hi guys, I've been looking everywhere for an answer to this question with no success. My family owns 2 lexuses (lexi?), a 2015 es350 and a 2018 RX350. Both of them have an annoying thing that i've been trying to disable. Whenever we are on the highway, the "toll booth ahead" keeps popping up on the nav screen and it's annoying because it tends to pop up when we are exiting or entering somewhere and it wont shows us the exact route to take until we clear the toll booth. I'm hoping someone here might have a solution for that. (and no we don't want to just avoid the highway all together). Thanks
no option to disable as far as i can tell.

another anooying thing in my 2015 ES's navi:

when driving on highway, half the darn screen displays list of upcoming exits. this makes the nav screen on the left USELESS as i can't see squat.

no option to disable it.

this has got to be the absolute crappiest in car nav i've ever experienced in my life. such a waste of a 8" screen if it going to auto split into 2 (even though i have it set as SINGLE no split screen).

i understand showing me the next exit or turn when i'm actually in GUIDANCE mode.

but when i'm just cruising on the highway with no nav destination, i'd like to see the whole 8 inches of screen as a map, no splits, no other info. or at least let me CHOOSE what i want.

/rant
Old 01-31-19, 05:40 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,010 Likes on 691 Posts

Originally Posted by AlexNY
no option to disable as far as i can tell.

another anooying thing in my 2015 ES's navi:

when driving on highway, half the darn screen displays list of upcoming exits. this makes the nav screen on the left USELESS as i can't see squat.

no option to disable it.

/rant
If you click on the menu icon (3 horizontal bars) on the left side of the navigation screen, you will be given the option to have various items displayed or not displayed on the screen. One of those items is upcoming exits. Note, though, that you will only be given the option to display or hide upcoming exits when you are actually driving on a limited access road where those exits are being displayed. But, once you do disable the upcoming exits option, they will not display in the future.

Also note that this is how it works with the Generation 9 system on the 2017 and 2018 ES. Since the Generation 8 system on the 2015 and 2016 ES is very similar, I'm assuming it will work the same way on your car.
The following users liked this post:
mcomer (02-09-19)
Old 01-31-19, 06:37 AM
AlexNY
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by lesz
If you click on the menu icon (3 horizontal bars) on the left side of the navigation screen, you will be given the option to have various items displayed or not displayed on the screen. One of those items is upcoming exits. Note, though, that you will only be given the option to display or hide upcoming exits when you are actually driving on a limited access road where those exits are being displayed. But, once you do disable the upcoming exits option, they will not display in the future.

Also note that this is how it works with the Generation 9 system on the 2017 and 2018 ES. Since the Generation 8 system on the 2015 and 2016 ES is very similar, I'm assuming it will work the same way on your car.
nope, does not work for GEN 8. no option to disable, unless i'm in GUIDANCE mode.

in regular driving with no map guidance, the system automatically splits my screen to show me exits on the highway.
Old 01-31-19, 06:47 AM
Khoi2610
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

nope, does not work for GEN 8. no option to disable, unless i'm in GUIDANCE mode.

in regular driving with no map guidance, the system automatically splits my screen to show me exits on the highway.
Really? On my car it works, even when i dont have a set destination and have it as a full map it doesnt display the exits or anything. I went into the screen settings on the top right corner (i think? or top left) click on it and set the screen to a single display. For me it always defaults to the full screen map and not what you are talking about. Also it seems like theres no option for the screen to default to the home screen but straight to nav whenever I start the car, I've seen a few threats having this issues and seems like no one knows how to fix it
Old 01-31-19, 06:58 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

I'm pretty sure you are mistaken. The way that I explained is the way that it worked with my 2013 ES (Generation 7 navigation system) and the way it works with my 2017 ES (Generation 9 navigation system). I can't imagine that it would be different with the Generation 8 system. Again, the setting to disable the split screen showing exits is only available when you are actually driving on a limited access tollway/expressway. Otherwise, it is grayed out, but once you do disable it, it will remain disabled until/unless you re-enable it.

In other similar threads, people with Generation 6 ES vehicles with Generation 7, Generation 8, and Generation 9 navigation systems have all reported that it works the way that I described.
Old 01-31-19, 08:59 AM
AlexNY
Pit Crew

I'm pretty sure you are mistaken. The way that I explained is the way that it worked with my 2013 ES (Generation 7 navigation system) and the way it works with my 2017 ES (Generation 9 navigation system). I can't imagine that it would be different with the Generation 8 system. Again, the setting to disable the split screen showing exits is only available when you are actually driving on a limited access tollway/expressway. Otherwise, it is grayed out, but once you do disable it, it will remain disabled until/unless you re-enable it.

In other similar threads, people with Generation 6 ES vehicles with Generation 7, Generation 8, and Generation 9 navigation systems have all reported that it works the way that I described.
i am not driving in any "limited access tollway/expressway".

i'm talking about highways with no tolls, just regular highway.

the screen splits automatically and on the right side i get 3 upcoming EXITS. the only arrow available is to scroll up to see more exists after the 3rd.

i have yet to through a tollbooth with my car.

EDIT: i should have clarified that my issue is not on tollbooths popups, but rather in normal highway driving.
Old 01-31-19, 09:14 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

i am not driving in any "limited access tollway/expressway".

i'm talking about highways with no tolls, just regular highway.

the screen splits automatically and on the right side i get 3 upcoming EXITS. the only arrow available is to scroll up to see more exists after the 3rd.
Those are the same kinds of roads that I'm referring to. The split screen with exits will only happen if it is enabled in the screen menu.
Old 01-31-19, 09:43 AM
AlexNY
Pit Crew

Those are the same kinds of roads that I'm referring to. The split screen with exits will only happen if it is enabled in the screen menu.
i'll give it a try tonight after work.

i guess i'll have to do this while driving and while the screen splits while on a highway.

so access options under navi screen and see if there's option to disable exits.

i'll update once i try
Old 01-31-19, 02:39 PM
nuraman00
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Yes, I had the same issue in 2018, with the list of highways.

@lesz explained then too that in order to disable it, I had to be on a highway. Then I could get to the map display options, and de-select the split screen for the list of highways.

I am not sure if there's a way to disable the tool booth ahead warning.
Old 01-31-19, 03:09 PM
AlexNY
Pit Crew

ok, i just tried it while driving.

no go on my 2015 ES with GEN 8 navi.

these are the options i get while driving on a highway:

1) map mode (full screen, split, split 3 way, etc). i have it as SINGLE FULL SCREEN. no split no 3 way, none of that crap. SINGLE MAP ONLY, NO SPLITS.

2) map info, in here i can choose what is displayed on navi screen:
a) route trace (records my route)
b) traffic (traffic info)
c) POI, choose which POI are displayed

3) this is where it shows me map version and upgrade options

and that's it, everything else is greyed out.

again, these are the options displayed while driving in the highway and while the screen is in auto split with exit info.

what am i missing?
Old 01-31-19, 03:36 PM
nuraman00
Instructor

ok, i just tried it while driving.

no go on my 2015 ES with GEN 8 navi.

these are the options i get while driving on a highway:

1) map mode (full screen, split, split 3 way, etc). i have it as SINGLE FULL SCREEN. no split no 3 way, none of that crap. SINGLE MAP ONLY, NO SPLITS.

2) map info, in here i can choose what is displayed on navi screen:
a) route trace (records my route)
b) traffic (traffic info)
c) POI, choose which POI are displayed

3) this is where it shows me map version and upgrade options

and that's it, everything else is greyed out.

again, these are the options displayed while driving in the highway and while the screen is in auto split with exit info.

what am i missing?
When you are on the freeway, and it does display the freeway turn list, then can you go to Map Info? At that point, you should see the freeway turn list selected.

Only then, can you unselect it.

If you go to map mode and you're not on the freeway at the moment, then it will appear grayed out (but the feature will still be active, until you un-select it at least once, like I described it above).

I tried to search for screen shots, but I can't find the exact one. I tried looking around page 130:

https://drivers.lexus.com/t3Portal/d...f/OM33B75U.pdf

I had this very same issue, and I had to do these steps to solve it.

Let me see if I can find the old post:

Look between posts 19 - 21 here (or read the whole thread):

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/es-...in-half-2.html
Old 01-31-19, 09:17 PM
nuraman00
Instructor

Just to add on, when I was in the car in the evening today, I went through the settings so I could remember what I had done, to turn it off.

I had to be on the freeway, and have that freeway turn list show up. Once the turn list showed up, only then could I go to Map Mode and actually disable the setting for freeway turn list. Disabling it would then preserve the setting.

If I wasn't on the freeway, then I couldn't disable it, because it was grayed out.

I hope this helps, @AlexNY .
Old 02-08-19, 02:27 PM
nuraman00
Instructor

@AlexNY , were you ever able to try disabling the feature again?
Old 02-08-19, 02:52 PM
AlexNY
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by nuraman00
@AlexNY , were you ever able to try disabling the feature again?
no, i was not able to do it on my 2015 ES.

but i was able to disable it on the 2019 rx350 loaner i got while servicing my ES. i believe the 2019 RX has the gen 9 navi unit.

Quick Reply: How do i disable "toll booth ahead" warning?