ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Best synthetic oil for es350

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-19, 03:07 PM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 678 Likes on 505 Posts

Originally Posted by nuraman00
Is there anything that comes in a larger size, since the ES takes 6.4 quarts? Are there any large 7 quart jugs?
Yep

https://petroleumservicecompany.com/...4aAo4EEALw_wcB
Old 01-29-19, 03:59 PM
Aryay
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Where do you guys buy the oil filter?
Old 01-29-19, 05:15 PM
Freds430
Pole Position

Received 1,158 Likes on 748 Posts

use CL5 for a 10% discount.
Old 01-29-19, 06:30 PM
Aryay
Driver

Originally Posted by Freds430

use CL5 for a 10% discount.
says 450h assuming same for es350
update: it is
Old 01-29-19, 06:40 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Received 1,414 Likes on 1,115 Posts

Every time someone ask this on the Bob's the Oil Guy oil forum about what oil? The answer is whatever is the best deal for a name brand full synthetic oil on sale at Wal-Mart.

I use Pennzoil. I like what I see in post all over the internet about how it cleans. I've seen many pro and cons about Mobile 1. It was my go to oil years ago when it was about the only game in town in the way of synthetic oil and I had mostly turbo cars. .
Old 01-29-19, 06:53 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

Any synthetic in the correct weight is good synthetic. Dexos are specs from GM that the oil meets. Mobil PP, QS are good brands. heck if you want you probably could get away with supertech synthetic (walmart brand) bottled by cittgo.
The following users liked this post:
oreguyd (04-09-21)
Old 01-29-19, 07:11 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Received 1,414 Likes on 1,115 Posts

If I recall correctly Dexos was made for GDI motors due to detonation issues with them.
Old 01-29-19, 07:25 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,753 Likes on 1,968 Posts

I do find it funny that Bob is the Oil Guy is a whole forum dedicated to oil, yet they all say "buy whatever is on sale" well...whats the point of the damn website then? LOL.

Any of these oils are good. Mobil 1 is a great oil, Pennzoil Platinum is a great oil. Personally, I have decided to run Toyota Genuine Motor Oil (TGMO) 0W20 which is manufactured by Mobil for Toyota using a proprietary composition dictated to Mobil by Toyota. I buy it from a local Toyota dealer in 6 quart cases for about $45 (My LS460 takes 9.5 quarts of oil).

Lexus dealers MAY use TGMO, but not all do unless you ask. If you ask they should use it and not charge you more. Idemitsu makes a similar oil that my independent mechanic uses.

Oil filters, I run Amsoil Ea Filters. Toyota also sells this same filter under their TRD Pro line. They're expensive, but IMHO the filter makes a bigger difference than the oil. The OEM Toyota filter is a crappy paper filter that isn't very efficient.

Oil (this is a good deal for it):

Amazon Amazon

Filters:

https://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-produ...a-oil-filters/
The following users liked this post:
Paul3637 (02-06-19)
Old 01-30-19, 01:39 AM
Poppa
Instructor

Received 167 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by Aryay
Is pennzoil below as good as mobile 1 as I believe it's on sale

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Pennzoil-...5-qt/123640799

also -which mobil 1 oil do you buy? If you have a link or name would appreciate it!
I can't say if Pennzoil is 'as good" as Mobil 1, but I feel sure you would be absolutely fine using it. Just make sure you're using a full synthetic. I've just used Mobil 1 for soooo long, I'm confident in using it... I think I've posted this before but I'll post this again just to put it out there. A service writer at the Lexus Dealership I use told me once that the oil they use is made by Mobil 1. Well I'm skeptical by nature so I actually called Mobil 1 and asked them if they made oil specifically for Lexus / Toyota. He did acknowledge they did make oil for them, but when I questioned him on the quality of that oil he said " the mobil 1 oil you can buy at wal mart or in auto parts stores is the best oil they make. So while he didn't say the oil they make for lexus / toyota was of less quality, he did say you could get mobil 1's best oil at places like wal mart. Perhaps he was trying to tell me something without actually having to say it. Good enough for me...
Old 01-30-19, 03:35 AM
Aryay
Driver

Originally Posted by Poppa
I can't say if Pennzoil is 'as good" as Mobil 1, but I feel sure you would be absolutely fine using it. Just make sure you're using a full synthetic. I've just used Mobil 1 for soooo long, I'm confident in using it... I think I've posted this before but I'll post this again just to put it out there. A service writer at the Lexus Dealership I use told me once that the oil they use is made by Mobil 1. Well I'm skeptical by nature so I actually called Mobil 1 and asked them if they made oil specifically for Lexus / Toyota. He did acknowledge they did make oil for them, but when I questioned him on the quality of that oil he said " the mobil 1 oil you can buy at wal mart or in auto parts stores is the best oil they make. So while he didn't say the oil they make for lexus / toyota was of less quality, he did say you could get mobil 1's best oil at places like wal mart. Perhaps he was trying to tell me something without actually having to say it. Good enough for me...
thanks ended up buying mobil 1 advanced fuel economy (green one above) is that just as good?
Old 01-30-19, 03:38 AM
Freds430
Pole Position

Received 1,158 Likes on 748 Posts

A service writer at the Lexus Dealership I use told me once that the oil they use is made by Mobil 1. Well I'm skeptical by nature so I actually called Mobil 1 and asked them if they made oil specifically for Lexus / Toyota. He did acknowledge they did make oil for them
Piggy backing on your comment my local Lexus Service manager told me if you come in and buy synthetic oil from us it is Toyota made by Mobil. He also stated in oil changes they use drums and that oil is a synthetic and mentioned the brand which I can not remember. Had heard of it but was not a major player like Pennzoil, Mobil, Castrol, Valvoline etc. This is why I always bring my Mobil 1 with me for the oil change besides saving me $$$$.
Old 01-30-19, 04:12 AM
hisstojay
Pole Position

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Aryay
thanks ended up buying mobil 1 advanced fuel economy (green one above) is that just as good?
I think that would suffice; it is fully synthetic and same recommended grade
Old 01-30-19, 06:45 AM
Fillykonk
Pit Crew

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by jgscott
Every time someone ask this on the Bob's the Oil Guy oil forum about what oil? The answer is whatever is the best deal for a name brand full synthetic oil on sale at Wal-Mart.

I use Pennzoil. I like what I see in post all over the internet about how it cleans. I've seen many pro and cons about Mobile 1. It was my go to oil years ago when it was about the only game in town in the way of synthetic oil and I had mostly turbo cars. .
Agreed. I think as long as you use a name-brand full synthetic and change it regularly ;your engine should last a long time. I usually end up with Mobil 1 as it seems to be on sale at the local Walmart more frequently than the others butr I have also used Pennzoil, Castrol and Valvoline at times. I will sometimes get the 6-qt case of Mobil 1 at Sam's Club when they have it on sale for $27 plus rebate. All of my cars (2017 ES, 2009 Honda Odyssey, 2007 Roush Stage 3 Mustang) follow this purchase principle with the only exception being the 2013 Harley Road King in which I use Amsoil 20/50.
Old 01-30-19, 11:05 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,753 Likes on 1,968 Posts

At the end of the day if you look at oil analyses and such the oils are very similar, TGMO has a more robust additive package though and the initial viscosity is a little thinner. IMHO, Toyota had Mobil make changes to their additive package for a reason...which is why I like to use the TGMO.
Old 01-30-19, 01:27 PM
autotech13
Advanced

Received 208 Likes on 157 Posts

I've been using Amsoil and Amsoil Oil filters for over 25 years in everything that has an engine. Best stuff I've ever used.

Quick Reply: Best synthetic oil for es350