ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

What is this red dot?

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-18, 09:50 AM
kvozel
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default What is this red dot?

I'm sure it is something obvious, so help me out. It moves around as the direction changes.

Old 11-14-18, 02:37 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Could it represent your car and the direction of travel? I don't have an ES, just a guess.
Old 11-14-18, 05:10 PM
kvozel
Rookie

Originally Posted by LexBob2
Could it represent your car and the direction of travel? I don't have an ES, just a guess.
I don't know. As the direction of the car changes, the location of the dot changes. If the direction of travel is at the top, I would expect the dot to be at the bottom all the time.
Old 11-14-18, 08:56 PM
st1800
Advanced

Received 92 Likes on 74 Posts

Looks like an Infiniti logo in the middle. Lol.

What year?
Old 11-15-18, 04:09 AM
kvozel
Rookie

Originally Posted by st1800
Looks like an Infiniti logo in the middle. Lol.

What year?
Model year is 2018
Old 11-15-18, 05:44 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,010 Likes on 691 Posts

I don't use that screen on the multi information display. I checked both the main manual and the navigation manual, but I didn't find any information about the red dot, but I can take a guess. I suspect that the dot is showing the relationship between your current location and the destination that you currently have set. Another possibility is that it is showing the relationship between your current location and the next turn on the route to your destination.
Old 11-15-18, 06:05 AM
kvozel
Rookie

Originally Posted by lesz
I don't use that screen on the multi information display. I checked both the main manual and the navigation manual, but I didn't find any information about the red dot, but I can take a guess. I suspect that the dot is showing the relationship between your current location and the destination that you currently have set. Another possibility is that it is showing the relationship between your current location and the next turn on the route to your destination.
Interesting thoughts, but I don't think they are accurate. I do not have any destination active. I have searched the manual and used our friend Google to no avail. It always does seem to be in the S-SW position as the direction of the car changes if that helps.
Old 11-15-18, 07:00 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by kvozel
Interesting thoughts, but I don't think they are accurate. I do not have any destination active. I have searched the manual and used our friend Google to no avail. It always does seem to be in the S-SW position as the direction of the car changes if that helps.
When I will be driving the ES later today, I plan to switch the multi information display to that screen and to see if I can get any clues as to what the dot is.

I've also noticed that, sometimes when I'm pulling the car into the garage, a parking assist screen appears on the main 8" display that says to "check surroundings", and, on that screen, a similar red dot briefly appears. I have no idea what that red dot means, either.
Old 11-15-18, 07:13 AM
Dave Mac
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

This is interesting - I had hoped to see an answer by now. I have a 2018 and previously had a 2016 and have never seen the red dot.

I will keep watching.

Dave Mac
Old 11-15-18, 07:52 AM
Fillykonk
Pit Crew

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

I believe on my 2017 the red dot pertains to the destination when the Navi is set. Not sure why it would be there otherwise. My guess would be in relation to your "home" if you have it marked? Let us know if and when you find out for sure.
Old 11-15-18, 09:19 AM
kvozel
Rookie

SOLVED!

lesz was pretty much spot on. I said I did not have an active destination, and that was true. However, I did check and the last destination I had was paused but not deleted. So the dot was indeed showing that location relative to my direction.

Last edited by kvozel; 11-15-18 at 09:42 AM.
Old 11-15-18, 10:36 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

I just got home from driving about 100 miles. During the trip, i monitored that multi information screen and made a number of observations that are, for the most part, consistent with what I speculated in my first post in this thread.

First, the red dot only appears when a destination is set.

Second, the red dot does indicate the direction of your destination relative to your current location.

Also, though, when you are driving on a road with curves, the system seems like it can get momentarily confused. When the road curves, the system seems to anticipate where your destination will be relative to your current location based on assuming that your direction of travel will continue in the direction that the curve in the road took you. When that happens, the location of the red dot can temporarily be inaccurate, and it can bounce around on the screen momentarily.

As a side note, when I was monitoring the multi information screen and the map, at one point, I wasn't paying as much attention to the road as I should have been, and I didn't notice that there were cars stopped ahead of me at a traffic light. For the first time in the almost exactly 2 years since I've had the 2017 ES, the auto braking kicked in. It may well have saved me from plowing into the car ahead of me. Long ago, I came to the conclusion that whatever cost is added to the car by equipping it with the various safety systems, that cost is well worth whatever it is if it saves you from an accident even one time. Today, I confirmed that thinking.
Old 11-15-18, 10:39 AM
kvozel
Rookie

I just got home from driving about 100 miles. During the trip, i monitored that multi information screen and made a number of observations that are, for the most part, consistent with what I speculated in my first post in this thread.

Second, the red dot does indicate the direction of your destination relative to your current location.

Also, though, when you are driving on a road with curves, the system seems like it can get momentarily confused. When the road curves, the system seems to anticipate where your destination will be relative to your current location based on assuming that your direction of travel will continue in the direction that the curve in the road took you. When that happens, the location of the red dot can temporarily be inaccurate, and it can bounce around on the screen momentarily.

As a side note, when I was monitoring the multi information screen and the map, at one point, I wasn't paying as much attention to the road as I should have been, and I didn't notice that there were cars stopped ahead of me at a traffic light. For the first time in the almost exactly 2 years since I've had the 2017 ES, the auto braking kicked in. It may well have saved me from plowing into the car ahead of me. Long ago, I came to the conclusion that whatever cost is added to the car by equipping it with the various safety systems, that cost is well worth whatever it is if it saves you from an accident even one time. Today, I confirmed that thinking.
Thanks lesz.....

As I discovered, while I didn't have an active destination, the previous one was paused, not deleted. So it still kept showing that.

On to the next mystery.
Old 11-15-18, 11:23 AM
jollick
Racer

Received 173 Likes on 151 Posts

That was great! Did it bring the car to a complete stop all on its own or just slow down and give an alert? How fast were you traveling?
Old 11-15-18, 11:50 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by jollick
That was great! Did it bring the car to a complete stop all on its own or just slow down and give an alert? How fast were you traveling?
I'm not absolutely certain as to just what the system did. I heard an audible alert and a warning appeared on the multi information screen. I know that I immediately reacted by hitting the brakes, but I'm not sure how much of the stopping of the car was the result of the safety system stopping the car or how much was the result of my hitting the brakes. The stop was, by no means, a hard "panic" stop. At a minimum, when the system gave the audible alert and the alert appeared on the multi information display, it caused me to react sooner than I might otherwise have reacted. The car was at a complete stop a good 10-15 feet behind the car in front of me. Thus, I can't say for certain what would have happened without the safety system, but I'm glad that it was there and working.

I would guess that my speed was probably in the 25-30 mph range when I and/or the car started to brake.

Quick Reply: What is this red dot?