ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

13 ES Totaled... new car options?

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-18, 02:59 PM
amphiprion
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 13 ES Totaled... new car options?

I've been a happy member of Club Lexus since '06 (originally as amphipri0n) and saw pictures come and go of fellow members with their various Lexii wrecked. Never thought I'd join that club until recently.

Well, my 2013 UL ES was put out of commission last month, T-boned by a driver in his early 20s (100% their fault). I'm now waiting on the offer from their insurance...

Interesting timing that the new ES is coming out next month. I've really enjoyed the comfort, styling and trouble free miles of the ES, so I may pick up another. Anyone else looking within the same size/form as the ES? What have you come up with as options? 5 series was just redone last year, new A6 coming, etc. Not interested in anything much longer or larger and in the barge category, such as the LS.
Old 08-13-18, 03:07 PM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,242 Likes on 872 Posts

Originally Posted by amphiprion
I've been a happy member of Club Lexus since '06 (originally as amphipri0n) and saw pictures come and go of fellow members with their various Lexii wrecked. Never thought I'd join that club until recently.

Well, my 2013 UL ES was put out of commission last month, T-boned by a driver in his early 20s (100% their fault). I'm now waiting on the offer from their insurance...

Interesting timing that the new ES is coming out next month. I've really enjoyed the comfort, styling and trouble free miles of the ES, so I may pick up another. Anyone else looking within the same size/form as the ES? What have you come up with as options? 5 series was just redone last year, new A6 coming, etc. Not interested in anything much longer or larger and in the barge category, such as the LS.
I'd be interested to know what they offer you on the '13 as I have one too and am planning to get a 2019 ES 350...
Old 08-13-18, 06:15 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Sorry to hear about your accident. It sounds like you are OK though, which is good news. I just started getting the itch for a new car and the new A6, 5 Series and new ES350 are all of interest. I currently have a 2016 A6 (my 2nd Audi) which we really like so will give the new one a close look. I've become partial to BMW's too. Our other car is our 2nd BMW and we've been very happy with both so I'll be looking at a 2018 5 Series too. Finally, I'm really interested in the new ES350 and like what I've seen and read so far so that is on my radar too. Three really good choices and one of these days my search will begin. Good luck with your insurance settlement and keep us posted on your search for a replacement..
Old 08-14-18, 07:10 AM
Fillykonk
Pit Crew

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Depending on the size of and timing of your settlement check AND your satisfaction with the ES as a whole, I would look into either a leftover 18 ES or the 2019. You may also be able to get a good deal on a low-mileage CPO coming off lease. Of course beyond the ES there are multitudes of possibilities. Please keep us updated on your future search!
Old 08-14-18, 07:25 AM
Dave Mac
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

You are more fortunate than I was. I always had my leases timed to expire during the December sales event and them custom ordered a new Lexus in September, but totaled my 2016 in March. I couldn't think of any scenario that would allow me to wait until December or even September so I purchased a 2018 ES a few days later. The deals were good right then too - March Madness or something. I like the 2018 and am always a little slow to really accept a new model so I am satisfied - at least I keep telling myself that as I see the pictures and reviews of the 2019 model. I would not expect much of a deal on a 2019 for several months.

Good luck with your insurance settlement and your new purchase.

Dave Mac
Old 08-14-18, 07:46 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,011 Likes on 691 Posts

Originally Posted by Fillykonk
Depending on the size of and timing of your settlement check AND your satisfaction with the ES as a whole, I would look into either a leftover 18 ES or the 2019. !
Originally Posted by Dave Mac
You are more fortunate than I was. I always had my leases timed to expire during the December sales event and them custom ordered a new Lexus in September, but totaled my 2016 in March. I couldn't think of any scenario that would allow me to wait until December or even September so I purchased a 2018 ES a few days later. The deals were good right then too - March Madness or something. I like the 2018 and am always a little slow to really accept a new model so I am satisfied - at least I keep telling myself that as I see the pictures and reviews of the 2019 model. I would not expect much of a deal on a 2019 for several months.

Dave Mac
I agree with the two posts quoted above, and I would not dismiss the possibility of considering a 2018 ES.

As someone who also had a 2013 ES and who now has a 2017 ES, I would say that the upgrades made to the Generation 6 ES with the 2016 mid-cycle refresh, especially those made to the interior, are significant, and they give the interior a much more upscale feel when compared to the interior of the 2013-2015 ES.

Those interior changes include replacing the piano black on the center console with wood trim (for the Luxury and Ultra Luxury packages), adding soft padding to the perimeter of the center console, adding nicer switch plates surrounding the window and lock switches, and using upgraded LED overhead and map reading lights. Also, the multi-information display in the main instrument cluster includes more useful information, and, for the 2017 and 2018 ES, the Generation 9 navigation system is much improved, especially with its ability to use voice commands, compared to the Generation 7 system used in the 2013 and 2014 ES. Overall, the changes in my 2017 ES made me feel like I had a much nicer vehicle than my 2013.

Further, not only are there currently great deals available on the 2018 ES, but, when the 2019s start arriving at dealerships, discounting from MSRP on those 2019s is likely to be minimal until well into the 2019 calendar year. So, there will be a significant difference in price between a 2018 ES and a similarly-equipped 2019 ES.

If you do consider buying a 2018 ES, however, I would suggest not waiting too long because inventories of the 2018s are likely to dwindle quickly, and choices of colors, options, packages, etc. will be reduced significantly as we move into the fall.

Good luck with your decision making.

Last edited by lesz; 08-14-18 at 08:02 AM.
Old 08-14-18, 09:20 AM
reposado2
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

It depends on how much you drive and how long you plan on keeping the car. If you dont drive much(or is leasing the car) then BMW/Audi/MB/Lexus are all great choices. I personally love the styling of the new MB E coupe. However I drive almost 20k a year and am planning to keep the car for at least 6+ years... with those numbers there is no way I am going European since from my experience all hell breaks loose after 80k miles with expensive repairs. Lexus is a no brainer for me.
Old 08-14-18, 09:28 AM
oldcajun
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

Take a look at the Genesis G80. About the same size as the ES, but a major step up in driving dynamics, ride, and noise.
Old 08-14-18, 09:56 AM
amphiprion
Rookie

Originally Posted by lesz
I agree with the two posts quoted above, and I would not dismiss the possibility of considering a 2018 ES.
As someone who also had a 2013 ES and who now has a 2017 ES, I would say that the upgrades made to the Generation 6 ES with the 2016 mid-cycle refresh, especially those made to the interior, are significant, and they give the interior a much more upscale feel when compared to the interior of the 2013-2015 ES.
Good luck with your decision making.
Thanks for sharing your thoughts on your 6.5 ES, especially coming from a 2013. Very insightful and I'm not putting the '18 out of the running, but I've had the 6ES since it debuted in 2012 and so a more significant change maybe in store.

I understand there probably won't be any stellar deals on the 2019, but historically that hasn't stopped me before!
I originally was put off by the 3/4 rear angle of the '19, until I saw a picture of one without the extended spoiler. Looks much better without, in my humble opinion.

Old 08-14-18, 10:28 AM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,011 Likes on 691 Posts

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on your 6.5 ES, especially coming from a 2013. Very insightful and I'm not putting the '18 out of the running, but I've had the 6ES since it debuted in 2012 and so a more significant change maybe in store.

I understand there probably won't be any stellar deals on the 2019, but historically that hasn't stopped me before!
I originally was put off by the 3/4 rear angle of the '19, until I saw a picture of one without the extended spoiler. Looks much better without, in my humble opinion.

For me the mid-cycle improvements/upgrades included in my 2017 ES made me feel like I was driving a new and much improved car compared to my 2013 ES. At the same time, with major controls in the same locations on both cars, when I first drove the 2017 I immediately felt like I was right at home and had no need to "learn about" and become comfortable with a different car.

That said, the 2019 ES looks like it should be a very nice vehicle, and I am likely eventually to be the owner of one. But I probably won't buy one until the Generation 7 gets its mid cycle refresh, likely with the 2022 model year. Just like with the Generation 6 ES, I'm sure that Lexus will be holding back some nice upgrades with the Generation 7 ES until its mid cycle refresh, and, by that time, deep discounting not available on the 2019s should be available again.
Old 08-14-18, 10:41 AM
amphiprion
Rookie

Originally Posted by reposado2
I personally love the styling of the new MB E coupe. However I drive almost 20k a year and am planning to keep the car for at least 6+ years... with those numbers there is no way I am going European since from my experience all hell breaks loose after 80k miles with expensive repairs. Lexus is a no brainer for me.
I agree the current E class is attractive inside and out, and it would be on my list, but I don't relate to MB as a brand.