ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Does your ES have a lot of steering wheel vibration at idle?

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-17, 02:46 PM
lesz
Lead Lap

Received 1,010 Likes on 691 Posts

Originally Posted by BradTank

I don't think it's just a few people making a big stink. I just assumed they were this way and wanted other owners to chime in to see. Most probably haven't said anything because they feel its supposed to be this way (which it probably is).
We could keep going back and forth, but there is little point. It appears that, when you say that you wanted "other owners to chime in", what you really wanted was for other owners who agree with your perception to chime in and that you are locked into the belief that others who are telling you that their cars don't have vibration at idle must be mistaken because "you know" that all Generation 6 ES must have this problem.

I've said that I'm not about to question whether your car has an issue. It would be nice if you could extend the same courtesy to those who are saying that our cars don't have vibration at idle, but you seem to have decided that we are just incapable of recognizing an issue that "you know" must be present in all of our cars.
Old 09-22-17, 05:48 PM
BradTank
Racer

Received 170 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by lesz
We could keep going back and forth, but there is little point. It appears that, when you say that you wanted "other owners to chime in", what you really wanted was for other owners who agree with your perception to chime in and that you are locked into the belief that others who are telling you that their cars don't have vibration at idle must be mistaken because "you know" that all Generation 6 ES must have this problem.

I've said that I'm not about to question whether your car has an issue. It would be nice if you could extend the same courtesy to those who are saying that our cars don't have vibration at idle, but you seem to have decided that we are just incapable of recognizing an issue that "you know" must be present in all of our cars.

No idea what you're talking about. Please show me an example of this where I am dismissing people that say they aren't having any issues.

If anything, I would say you are the one that seems to be combative about whether some people are experiencing this.

I am arguing with you though on the idea that just a small handful are having this issue and that it's just a few disgruntled people making a lot of noise about it. Especially since I found it on other ones I test drove. Either I'm just incredibly unlucky or its something that's widespread.

Regardless, a debate is not a bad thing on a car forum. I'm in the camp that thinks this is just sort of inherent with the ES. You think they are all perfect and any felt vibration at idle means something is wrong and it's only a small amount of people making a big fuss. I don't see what the big deal is to have a different take on this. The only reason I even brought this up was to see if it's something my dealer should address before the warranty expires.
Old 09-22-17, 05:58 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 449 Likes on 294 Posts

Originally Posted by BradTank
No idea what you're talking about. Please show me an example of this where I am dismissing people that say they aren't having any issues.

If anything, I would say you are the one that seems to be combative about whether some people are experiencing this.

I am arguing with you though on the idea that just a small handful are having this issue and that it's just a few disgruntled people making a lot of noise about it. Especially since I found it on other ones I test drove. Either I'm just incredibly unlucky or its something that's widespread.

Regardless, a debate is not a bad thing on a car forum. I'm in the camp that thinks this is just sort of inherent with the ES. You think they are all perfect and any felt vibration at idle means something is wrong and it's only a small amount of people making a big fuss. I don't see what the big deal is to have a different take on this. The only reason I even brought this up was to see if it's something my dealer should address before the warranty expires.
I wouldn't be surprized if a small number of owners have excessive vibrations through their steering wheel, as is the case with my 4GS rough idle that is actually not present in other 4GS's that I have tested.
Worse, Lexus is not able to fix my rough idle either, though I'm not exactly sure why.
I guess Lexus quality control has slipped a little, and it's not just Akio giving his cars more feel and vibrations...
Old 09-22-17, 06:18 PM
Coulter
Intermediate

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Here's a few seconds of video where I put a cup of water on the steering wheel to show the "buzz". Might help, might not for people wondering.

https://streamable.com/3onx6

This is actually after it has been driven a bit, it's worse when you first start out on a cold car. Mine has around 45k miles on it, otherwise drives perfect.

I don't think mine is defective, it's just the car is adapting the Toyota platform to Lexus and the compromises that are made at a certain price point. I'm sure the Lexus CT has this type of stuff also as a result of it being built on the cheaper Toyota Prius.

But I do find it weird when someone says "I have absolutely no vibrations at idle through the steering wheel!". Even on the new flagship cars I can feel it a bit, it's just a matter of degrees.

I also think though it's very likely as was alluded to from an earlier post that Lexus WANTS people to feel the engine as the ES was always getting knocked for being too much of an isolation chamber. Many younger buyers want the "German" connection to the machine. Some companies even pipe in the engine noise to the inside of the car.
The following 3 users liked this post by Coulter:
GS250 (11-02-17), jollick (09-23-17), zes (06-18-19)
Old 09-22-17, 07:44 PM
zes
Advanced

Received 85 Likes on 70 Posts

I have felt the slight vibration in all of the ES loaner cars I have driven when my ESh is serviced.
Old 09-23-17, 05:22 PM
UKEE
Driver

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

My 2016 ES 350 has developed a vibration that is not only shaking the wheel but letting off a resonating engine minor roar. It aggravates me when stopped even with music as I can hear the constant resonating sound over the music most of the time. It seems to occur the most at 750 RPM. Holding the brake and giving more gas to go to higher RPM's make it worse. This occurs the worst when the AC is on and the car is in gear.

When not in gear or the AC is off, the vibration and sound drop considerably. When both AC off and out of gear, it's almost gone. The RPM drops to to 650-700 when that occurs (no vibration).

I had a package of flowers in the car today and could see the plastic wrap vibrating pretty hard with the AC on and in gear (I made sure there was no air blowing on the plastic wrap). I turned off AC and put in neutral and the plastic top of the wrapping almost stopped vibrating (and noise went away).

I'm going to take a shot with the dealer but am afraid I'll get the dreaded 'it's within operating specs' reply.

Oh, and car has 5,700 miles on it. Not sure when it started as wife put 3,000+ miles on road trips this summer and I don't recall it doing this before she went.

And as for the argument that this is a lower end Lexus, etc. I have a 15 year old Dodge Intrepid that runs baby smooth (2.7L V6). The previous Intrepid (1996 model) that I had before that was so smooth that I could not tell a difference between in and out of gear. The ES350, from what I can tell, has always been touted as a smooth, supremely quiet car and when I bought it, that was the case. The vibration and sound have now turned that opinion, at least until it's corrected (if possible).

Last edited by UKEE; 09-23-17 at 07:20 PM.
Old 09-23-17, 06:19 PM
GES
Pole Position

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Geez, you guys make me feel I made the right decision by buying the hybrid and not the regular ES. The engine in the hybrid shut down completely, as if the ignition is off. So there is almost no chance of any vibration. even the AC is electric and doesn't need the engine. Who needs more power if the car shakes at idle ......Sorry to interrupt the discussion, carry on.
The following users liked this post:
zes (06-18-19)
Old 09-23-17, 07:01 PM
jonmanch
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I am on my second ES300h and have not experienced steering wheel vibration at idle with either car.

Last edited by jonmanch; 09-23-17 at 07:16 PM.
Old 09-23-17, 07:07 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 449 Likes on 294 Posts

Sounds like TMC quality control is slipping a little.
Old 09-23-17, 10:23 PM
355F1
Racer

Received 596 Likes on 382 Posts

Just picked up my first ES, and brand new 2017.

i did not notice any vibrations at all. Car is dead quiet.

I came from an IS 250 AWD.
Old 10-24-17, 06:43 PM
rriccardi
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Now you have me worried. Maybe I should try the water in a cup trick.
My 17 ES with the V6 runs smoother than butter. I hear the engine run, but no vibrations. I only have 600 miles on the clock though.
Old 10-24-17, 11:00 PM
355F1
Racer

Received 596 Likes on 382 Posts

I've put 2500 miles on my new ES in the last 4 weeks.

I do not sense any abnormal vibrations--actually this thing is effing QUIET! I don't sense ANY vibrations!
Old 10-25-17, 01:37 AM
Poppa
Instructor

Received 166 Likes on 119 Posts

well honestly can't say I've noticed any type of steering wheel vibration to speak of...
Old 10-25-17, 09:25 AM
BradTank
Racer

Received 170 Likes on 116 Posts

So just to tie things up, I took my ES that was still under warranty to the dealership and let them take a look. I figured if something was wrong, I should have it fixed now as the warranty was almost over.

The service advisor who I've used for a number of years told me that's sort of "par for the course" on the ES, but brought out a seasoned technician to take a look with me. The technician went through some steps to see how much motor movement was occuring and said everything was in spec and that's just the normal way they idle.

I then asked could I take a look at a new one and fire it up and see. They had a 2017 loaner with like 5,000 miles and it exhibited the same exact idle characteristics I was concerned about.

The service advisor said the problem was I came from a Lexus LS that basically has no vibration that transmits through.

So to sum it up, I guess some people just view a "rough idle" differently, but there was nothing "wrong" with the car that needed repair.
Old 10-25-17, 12:38 PM
Ratchey
Intermediate

Received 94 Likes on 76 Posts

My steering wheel has no visible vibration and doesn't move at all, but I can feel a slight vibration when I hold it that is transmitted through the whole column.

Quick Reply: Does your ES have a lot of steering wheel vibration at idle?