ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Why did you buy your ES and what else did you consider?

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-18, 05:50 PM
nuraman00
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by irishbrahm
I chose the '16 ES UL for its comfort, refinement, reputation, reliability, and cheap maintenance costs.

I also briefly considered:

GS 350 - Considerably more expensive; rougher/firmer ride; direct injection engine is relatively noisy; a bit too sporty; requires premium fuel

Acura TLX - Less refined; quasi-luxurious; noisier and busier ride; fewer bells and whistles even on the top-of-the-line trim level; more maintenance required
Can you expand on each of these, compared to the ES?
Old 08-29-18, 05:57 PM
nuraman00
Instructor

Originally Posted by Ken7
The only car I considered beyond the ES was the Q50. The problem there was that to get the safety equipment I wanted, you had to go with the Infiniti 'Direct Adaptive Steering'.

We test drove both and I didn't like the Infinite steering which felt dead, especially on center. The ES had a much better feel to me.

With that said, I really liked the look of the Q50 both inside & out.
I compared those same cars too, in 2018. To me, also, one issue was that I had to get a lot of packages, to get the same safety features that were standard on the ES.

Infiniti might do a better job on a few of those safety features (I like their around view top level view when backing up, for example), but I was put off at having to buy so many packages.
Old 08-29-18, 05:58 PM
nuraman00
Instructor

Originally Posted by Cannoli
Thanks, interesting responses so far. Irish and Tom like you I looked at the GS350. I bought the ES and I really like driving it. I was driving an LS430 so this was quite a change. I strongly considered getting a Honda Accord EX-L, but just couldn't pull the trigger.

I still wonder if I should have bought the GS but it doesn't really matter. Like I said I like driving the ES more than I thought I would. I usually buy recent model used cars and the delta between an ES and a GS isn't huge, maybe $5-6k. Resale on GSes must not be very good.

Tom and BC I'm with you on happy wife - happy life. My wife is only happy with a Porsche 911 Cabriolet. She had had 3 of them. Her current is a silver one.
How do you compare driving the LS to the ES?
Old 08-29-18, 05:59 PM
nuraman00
Instructor

Originally Posted by irishbrahm
I too was driving a LS430 until recently. And like you, I bought the ES and love driving it (even more so now with the Pirelli tires).

Another reason why I didn't go with the GS is because there is a LOT of discontent on the GS forum.

I think the Q50 is a nice-looking car but the reviews aren't that good. I think that Infiniti, like Acura, has lost its way.

Finally, I'll admit that the new C-Class is a beautiful car. But I more or less swore off Mercedes after my brief ownership of a S550. Around here it takes about a month to schedule service at the Merc dealership because the service dept. is always inundated.
What discontent is there toward the GS, that the ES doesn't face?
Old 08-29-18, 06:02 PM
nuraman00
Instructor

Originally Posted by Jiawa
Looked at TLX with three dealers in two month period. Almost bought one (had it for one night). Bought an ES350 instead on the second day after test driving one.
How do you compare the way the two drove?
Old 08-29-18, 06:09 PM
nuraman00
Instructor

Originally Posted by CanyonCarv
We've had a IS350 for several years. Quality, reliability, and service were impeccable. It never skipped a beat. We also bought a Hyundai Sonata thinking it was good value for everyday use, and it disappointed us. Recently we just traded it in and got a the current ES and couldn't be happier.
How do you compare the drive of the IS vs the ES?
Old 08-29-18, 06:13 PM
nuraman00
Instructor

Originally Posted by chromedome
Acura hosed themselves by keeping too much Accord in their cheaper models. I loved my old TSX for its handling and VTEC scream but it was just a rebadged Euro/JDM Accord. The TL was priced very high for what was essentially an enlarged Accord.

The ES has enough custom bits and improved NVH to distance itself from the Avalon. It's also unique in being a large entry-level luxury (OK, premium) sedan that's cheaper than almost all other competitors. BMW and MB still aren't brave enough to do large FWD sedans so it's the ES alone that corners that lucrative segment, at least in the US. In Europe and China, the Audi A6 rules
What does NVH stand for?

What are the differences, to you, between the Avalon and ES?
Old 12-15-18, 07:12 AM
Eolafan
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I looked at cars from BMW, Infiniti, Genesis and Audi before settling on Lexus (we purchased a 2015 ES350). My reasons were the consistently #1 qualify ratings for Lexus (with the ES350 being the most trouble free of all the Lexus models), the close proximity of our dealer, the free car wash program (I am **** about a clean car), a $2K credit for financing the car through Toyota credit (I made two payments and then paid the car off so I netted something slightly less than $2K after a very small amount of interest but ended up on the plus side big time), also the comfort and long list of features, (must admit) a bit due to the snob appeal, and finally the fact that I have a buddy who is a service advisor at my Lexus dealer (like chicken soup, it could never hurt).
Old 12-15-18, 07:57 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 679 Likes on 505 Posts

Originally Posted by Eolafan
...My reasons were the consistently #1 qualify ratings for Lexus (with the ES350 being the most trouble free of all the Lexus models), the close proximity of our dealer, the free car wash program (I am **** about a clean car), ...
I have a feeling we use the same dealer in Naperville. The first time they washed my car, after an oil change, they left a big scratch in the clear-coat on my hood. I now insist they never wash my car when it's in for service. I could not imagine just stopping by for a free wash, especially if you're **** about your cars's appearance.
Old 12-15-18, 12:59 PM
slackhouse
6th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I looked at BMWs, Mercedes Benz, Audi, Infiniti, and Lexus cars to replace a 14 year old Toyota Corolla. I ended up with the Lexus ES 350 because of: 1. Reliability. I don't want to have issues that are common with German made cars. 2. How I want to drive. I drive the ES 350 in a much more relaxed manner than any other car I've ever driven. Every other car (including the GS350 and IS Lexus models) I drive way more aggressively. I don't need that risk in my life.

Ultimately, I fell in love with the car's ability to relax me. No other car had that affect on me.
The following users liked this post:
nuraman00 (12-15-18)
Old 12-16-18, 12:53 AM
hisstojay
Pole Position

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I considered the Lexus ES for the proven trend of high reliability, comfort and most importantly quietness of the engine.
Old 12-16-18, 01:48 AM
OBLexus
Driver

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Here’s another relaxed driver... love the ES 350 (2018) for its quietness and ability to get me from a) to b) in a very relaxed manner.
This is after owning an Audi A4, A6, Mercedes ML320, ML500.
Old 12-16-18, 05:01 AM
Freds430
Pole Position

Received 1,158 Likes on 748 Posts

Bought our ES second one because like the looks inside and out. A reasonable price. I am 6:4 and someone by height can sit behind me. Mostly though Lexus is the third least expensive car to maintain behind it's cousins Toyota and Scion and #1 in dependability for seven years in a row by J D Power. Hilarious to me when someone buys a Mercedes, BMW or Land Rover and than gets taken on maintenance items and dependability. When you are paying more for a car IMO it should be more dependable not less.
Old 12-16-18, 10:11 PM
yoitskenn
Lead Lap

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

I sold my 2011 Prius 2 weeks ago. Had my mind set on a 2013+ Avalon hybrid. Was searching day and night for the Avalon and stumbled upon the Es300h. I went to a local dealership and drove both the 2013 and 2016. They drove the same but I liked the 16 front end more, but they came with a higher price tag. Found a private seller and bought his 2013 Es300h and I’m loving it. Averaging 35-36mpg vs the Prius 44mph. But I guess the luxury comes with sacrifice
Old 12-17-18, 05:40 AM
jollick
Racer

Received 181 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by yoitskenn
I sold my 2011 Prius 2 weeks ago. Had my mind set on a 2013+ Avalon hybrid. Was searching day and night for the Avalon and stumbled upon the Es300h. I went to a local dealership and drove both the 2013 and 2016. They drove the same but I liked the 16 front end more, but they came with a higher price tag. Found a private seller and bought his 2013 Es300h and I’m loving it. Averaging 35-36mpg vs the Prius 44mph. But I guess the luxury comes with sacrifice
Congratulations, great car!

Quick Reply: Why did you buy your ES and what else did you consider?