ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Why did you buy your ES and what else did you consider?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-16, 06:59 AM
chrisexv6
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Coming from a 2003 TL we had since new:

Test drove a TLX and had one for a weekend. Interior was way too small IMHO....its ashame they went more TSX than TL when they combined them. The first comment from our kids when they got in back "why is it so small" (we didnt skew them towards that, we never mentioned it to them)

The drivetrain was also questionable, lots of complaints about the 9 speed and I experienced a few of them: always in too high a gear, lots of lag when expecting a downshift, etc.

Also tested an MDX in case we wanted an SUV....I found that a lot better than the TLX (obviously you are paying for it). Even the exact same transmission as the TLX behaved better in the MDX.

Had the ES for a test drive at the dealer and the dealer immediately let us have one for an extended test (2 days). I loved it, wife loved it, that pretty much sealed it. The interior is dated but still nicer than the TLX interior IMHO. The interior space is HUGE compared to the TLX. The drivetrain is obviously proven.

I honestly think the RLX is a more appropriate comparison to the ES right now. And I really think Acura hosed themselves by not keeping a true mid-size luxury sedan.
Old 01-13-16, 07:09 AM
Jaggernaut
Driver School Candidate

Well, I originally wanted to get a cheaper car but after my fiance and I test drove our 2000 ES300, we fell in love. I still love my Lexus overall, though I wish I would of taken longer to look over the specs and total cost of just owning the vehicle. Granted, it's not THAT expensive to own, but In the condition that the dealer has it in and didn't at least power wash the left over oil on the engine (Replaced head gasket), kind of turned me off. Although, I am currently looking into getting an LS460L, just not sure what year.
Old 01-13-16, 07:33 PM
chromedome
Lexus Test Driver

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by chrisexv6
I honestly think the RLX is a more appropriate comparison to the ES right now. And I really think Acura hosed themselves by not keeping a true mid-size luxury sedan.
Acura hosed themselves by keeping too much Accord in their cheaper models. I loved my old TSX for its handling and VTEC scream but it was just a rebadged Euro/JDM Accord. The TL was priced very high for what was essentially an enlarged Accord.

The ES has enough custom bits and improved NVH to distance itself from the Avalon. It's also unique in being a large entry-level luxury (OK, premium) sedan that's cheaper than almost all other competitors. BMW and MB still aren't brave enough to do large FWD sedans so it's the ES alone that corners that lucrative segment, at least in the US. In Europe and China, the Audi A6 rules

Last edited by chromedome; 01-13-16 at 07:48 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 01-14-16, 05:39 AM
chrisexv6
Driver

Originally Posted by chromedome
Acura hosed themselves by keeping too much Accord in their cheaper models. I loved my old TSX for its handling and VTEC scream but it was just a rebadged Euro/JDM Accord. The TL was priced very high for what was essentially an enlarged Accord.

The ES has enough custom bits and improved NVH to distance itself from the Avalon. It's also unique in being a large entry-level luxury (OK, premium) sedan that's cheaper than almost all other competitors. BMW and MB still aren't brave enough to do large FWD sedans so it's the ES alone that corners that lucrative segment, at least in the US. In Europe and China, the Audi A6 rules
Yeah. Coming from the 03 TL, it was surprisingly hard to find ANY vehicle that had an interior that compared well to it. Even our '15 ES kind of fails.....lots of hard plastic, etc. But compared to the TLX, the ESs hard plastic felt like better quality (if that makes any sense). The GS and LS interiors were better than our 03 TL but were probably closer to it quality wise than the ES is.

The TLX interior is OK but where they chose to use plastics they just seemed inferior to the ES plastics for some reason (thinner materials? I dunno)

We also test drove the Avalon. I thought it was a bit firm on the ride (the ES is ever so slightly less firm) but it came down to spending the extra $4K to get a loaded ES vs a loaded Avalon. I felt like the ES-exclusive options (panoramic roof, etc) and the longer warranty justified the cost.
Old 01-14-16, 03:31 PM
687Jim
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Bought a 2016 ES today with Luxury package in Autumn Shimmer. Pick it up tomorrow at 3:00 PM.

It replaces a 2015 GS 350 F Sport AWD in Obsidian that I bought last August. Has 6,000 miles on it and I will turn it in tomorrow. Never warmed up to it. For me, it was a mistake to buy it. My wife hated it. We had a 2013 ES before the F Sport and missed the interior room of the ES and the quiet, soft ride. Great performance, fun to drive but other factors turned out to be more important. Expensive mistake.
Old 01-14-16, 05:13 PM
Cannoli
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 687Jim
Bought a 2016 ES today with Luxury package in Autumn Shimmer. Pick it up tomorrow at 3:00 PM.

It replaces a 2015 GS 350 F Sport AWD in Obsidian that I bought last August. Has 6,000 miles on it and I will turn it in tomorrow. Never warmed up to it. For me, it was a mistake to buy it. My wife hated it. We had a 2013 ES before the F Sport and missed the interior room of the ES and the quiet, soft ride. Great performance, fun to drive but other factors turned out to be more important. Expensive mistake.
That's really interesting, What didn't you like about the GS?
Old 01-15-16, 05:21 AM
Cokey30
Driver School Candidate

wow es over f sport
Old 01-15-16, 05:59 AM
chrisexv6
Driver

Originally Posted by Cannoli
I second this question.

Was actually thinking about replacing my G37 with a GS someday. Love the performance factor of my G37 but the interior is too cramped (I get jealous when I drive the wifes ES350!)
Old 01-15-16, 06:24 AM
687Jim
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The color, black. Is a bear to keep clean. Always looks like it's dirty. Back seat cramped with lack of leg room. Harsh ride. Engine noise level due to the direct injection. Hwy fuel economy dropped from an average of 30-31 to 22 mpg. About 10% less trunk space than ES.

These are not criticisms of the car itself. I'm just saying that it just wasn't the right car for us, in retrospect.

Positives? Lots. Great fun to drive. the Sport and Sport+ modes are a blast. Example: Taking freeway 30 mph exit ramps at 60+ while the guy behind you struggles to keep up and tries to avoid sliding off onto the shoulder. The handling of the car is incredible in Sport+ mode. The interior is nicely done with lots of leather but the brushed, striated aluminum, to me, gives it a spartan appearance as compared to wood.

In an ideal world, I would keep BOTH the GS and the new ES but, alas, my wife says she will never give up her IS 250.

Pick up the new ES this afternoon at 3:00 from Wilde Lexus in Sarasota, FL and it's raining. Bummer.
Old 01-15-16, 06:39 AM
chrisexv6
Driver

Good luck with it! I wasnt a fan of the front end redesign so we decided to get a '15 ES while we could. Absolutely love the car.

And you are right....its definitely more luxury (wood, spacious, softer ride, etc) than sport (raw metals, harsh ride, etc) and there are times where thats exactly what you want. This is my wifes car and it suits her perfectly. I prefer the sporty side so its nice to have "one of each".
Old 01-15-16, 02:31 PM
Cannoli
Driver School Candidate

The color, black. Is a bear to keep clean. Always looks like it's dirty. Back seat cramped with lack of leg room. Harsh ride. Engine noise level due to the direct injection. Hwy fuel economy dropped from an average of 30-31 to 22 mpg. About 10% less trunk space than ES.

These are not criticisms of the car itself. I'm just saying that it just wasn't the right car for us, in retrospect.

Positives? Lots. Great fun to drive. the Sport and Sport+ modes are a blast. Example: Taking freeway 30 mph exit ramps at 60+ while the guy behind you struggles to keep up and tries to avoid sliding off onto the shoulder. The handling of the car is incredible in Sport+ mode. The interior is nicely done with lots of leather but the brushed, striated aluminum, to me, gives it a spartan appearance as compared to wood.

In an ideal world, I would keep BOTH the GS and the new ES but, alas, my wife says she will never give up her IS 250.

Pick up the new ES this afternoon at 3:00 from Wilde Lexus in Sarasota, FL and it's raining. Bummer.

I understand the color thing. I had a black LS 430 and it looked dirty a day after it was washed. It had this dusty look.
Old 01-16-16, 05:36 AM
TechNut
Pole Position

Received 691 Likes on 508 Posts

I understand the color thing. I had a black LS 430 and it looked dirty a day after it was washed. It had this dusty look.
Agreed. The black looks terrific when clean, but it's a full-time job to keep it clean. We have found the black interior of our ES to be a pain as well. It shows every speck of dust and every fingerprint/smudge.
Old 01-28-16, 01:23 PM
gjarboe1
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

My 92 SC300 was the best car I have ever owned, and probably every will. Never a mechanical issue in 250,000 miles. By comparison, a few Jaguars I have owned have been disappointments. My XK8, which was beautiful, had constant issues. I actually kept the SC300 until a few months before I got the ES
Old 08-29-18, 02:41 PM
ThumbsUp
Driver School Candidate

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Replaced the driver's side door lock actuator ($53 from Auto Parts Warehouse, includes a 5 year warranty). Fairly easy job; hardest parts were 1) snaking the new actuator in around the window channel, and 2) getting the exterior door pull rod into the new actuator once it was in place.
Old 08-29-18, 05:43 PM
nuraman00
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by bc6152
I looked at a turbocharged Buick Lacrosse. Looked nice but the power, even with the turbo, was lacking. Thought the Buick was not as high quality as the Lexus either. I also considered the Acura TL but couldn't get over the Batmobile look. I then contacted Costco, get the price on an ES and here I am...Yes, I'd buy another. Like the look, the prestige, the handling, and the 267 HP engine.
I had considered the TL in 2013. But:

A) They had navigation on the base model, but not the other models, at the dealer.

B) The center console was harder to use, than the ES. I prefer the ES's mouse layout and buttons.

Quick Reply: Why did you buy your ES and what else did you consider?