ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Lexus cheaped out on the tires

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-15, 09:06 PM
NdYAG
Advanced

Received 188 Likes on 130 Posts

It might have something to do with moving production to the US.
Old 12-29-15, 05:41 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,619 Likes on 1,883 Posts

Originally Posted by NdYAG
It might have something to do with moving production to the US.
I don't think so. Lexus has always had several OEM options, some good, most not ever since I've been a customer (since 1998)
Old 12-29-15, 08:39 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 138 Likes on 112 Posts

Most manufacturers use more than one tire supplier. It would be too risky to have only have one in the event of a strike, various production problems etc.
Old 12-29-15, 08:43 AM
TechNut
Pole Position

Received 703 Likes on 513 Posts

Originally Posted by 5thaccord
I just did. As expected, you were too busy blowing hot air and missed it.
There don't seem to be any moderators on this ES forum, so I'm just going to say what I suspect many of us are thinking. If you have a problem with a poster, can you please take it off-line and PM the individual directly.

Please keep in mind that some of us visit this site because we are interested in both facts and opinions.

Thank you.
Old 12-29-15, 10:16 AM
irishbrahm
Intermediate

Received 44 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
I have. I had them OEM on the GS. Put 38,000 miles on them and replaced them with Toyo Versado Noir. The Toyos were quieter and rode better. I also just put a set of Pirelli Cinturato P7 Plus on the LS to replace the Bridgestones and am very happy with them.

The Primacy MXM4 is not a bad fire, but for what you pay there are newer better tires out there. The Premier is one, the P7 Plus is one, the Toyo Versado Noir is another.
You were right!

So I had the MXM4s installed yesterday at Discount Tire. Today I took the car on a 150 mi. trip. Somewhat surprisingly, I only found them to be marginally better than the Turanzas at lower speeds and no better at higher speeds. So I stopped by a local Discount Tire which happened to have four Pirelli P7s in stock. After a chat with the DT guys, re-reading the comments on this board about the P7s, and looking at the Tire Rack data (which rank the P7s #1), I made the swap. And I am so happy that I did! The P7s are great!
Old 12-29-15, 10:33 AM
Freds430
Pole Position

Received 1,080 Likes on 701 Posts

Originally Posted by Ward6096
There don't seem to be any moderators on this ES forum, so I'm just going to say what I suspect many of us are thinking. If you have a problem with a poster, can you please take it off-line and PM the individual directly.

Please keep in mind that some of us visit this site because we are interested in both facts and opinions.

Thank you.
Could not agree with you more. Does this forum have moderators? If so do the moderators read the post? Do we need to have a maturity test taken before we are able to post? This is an awesome site. I have learned so many tips and tricks. Interesting to read all the different OPINIONS that we members post. A car forum and at that a Lexus forum is the last place I would expect to read snarky and immature comments. Below are three rude and immature comments from two different posters. How about a New Years resolution to all that if you don't have any thing constructive to post than do not post anything.

I am convinced that if anyone said "Merry Christmas" to you last week, you immediately told them that Easter is better - and why.

It's great that you have an opinion on literally everything, but you have a very bad habit of expressing opinions as facts and expressing opinions on stuff that you don't actually have experience with.

Old 12-29-15, 10:46 AM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,247 Likes on 875 Posts

Excellent post Freds. So many times that I have had questions answered and explained by other members and feel that this forum is a valuable source of information. Opinions are an integral part of forums and should be respected by all members. Some are good, some not so good. One can choose which has value.

Thanks...
Old 12-29-15, 10:51 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 138 Likes on 112 Posts

There is a "Report Post" function (the triangle highlighted in red with an exclamation point in the middle) which would catch the attention of the moderators if they haven't been looking in here. It might be worth a try.
Old 12-29-15, 12:10 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,155 Likes on 1,317 Posts

Originally Posted by 5thaccord
5thaccord please exit this thread

If you don't want to read another members posts (or feel you must rudely reply when they post), please use the forum's ignore feature

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/pro...?do=ignorelist
Old 12-29-15, 05:39 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,619 Likes on 1,883 Posts

Originally Posted by irishbrahm
You were right!

So I had the MXM4s installed yesterday at Discount Tire. Today I took the car on a 150 mi. trip. Somewhat surprisingly, I only found them to be marginally better than the Turanzas at lower speeds and no better at higher speeds. So I stopped by a local Discount Tire which happened to have four Pirelli P7s in stock. After a chat with the DT guys, re-reading the comments on this board about the P7s, and looking at the Tire Rack data (which rank the P7s #1), I made the swap. And I am so happy that I did! The P7s are great!
Yeah the MXM4 is okay, but not great.

I'm really liking my P7s, hopefully you continue to like them too!
Old 12-29-15, 09:33 PM
gemigniani
Intermediate

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Don't laugh, but Korean tires are worthy of consideration too. I've been finding some Hankook brand tires like the Kinergy GT deliver a smooth, absorbent, quiet ride: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....del=Kinergy+GT
Old 12-30-15, 07:27 AM
bc6152
Lead Lap

Received 1,247 Likes on 875 Posts

Originally Posted by gemigniani
Don't laugh, but Korean tires are worthy of consideration too. I've been finding some Hankook brand tires like the Kinergy GT deliver a smooth, absorbent, quiet ride: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....del=Kinergy+GT
Do you have these on your Lexus?
Old 12-30-15, 01:03 PM
TomMartin
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just got Bridgestone's traded out for Michelin Premier on '16 ESh...Took delivery and forgot to check the tires. Traded for $100 tire change fee...I was fine with that. Surprised they had 4 Premier's in stock. Have the Michelin Premier on the '08 Accord that my daughter is getting and it seems like a good tire.

First 300 miles 36.5 according to the do...heavily loaded with files. etc. @00 of 300 freeway at 72 mph cruise.

I really like the car. Will need a second "training" session to learn everything. Wife will especially need some training.

Boy, does my 2--4 Land Cruiser seem OLD after driving a new car

TomMartin
Old 12-30-15, 03:57 PM
kellens
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by TomMartin
Just got Bridgestone's traded out for Michelin Premier on '16 ESh...Took delivery and forgot to check the tires. Traded for $100 tire change fee...I was fine with that. Surprised they had 4 Premier's in stock. Have the Michelin Premier on the '08 Accord that my daughter is getting and it seems like a good tire.

First 300 miles 36.5 according to the do...heavily loaded with files. etc. @00 of 300 freeway at 72 mph cruise.

I really like the car. Will need a second "training" session to learn everything. Wife will especially need some training.

Boy, does my 2--4 Land Cruiser seem OLD after driving a new car

TomMartin
That's a decent deal for the swap. Just curious if you know if they had the MXV Primacy in stock, and how you like Premiere vs them.

The 2016 ES they took some liberties to smooth out the suspension and added some noise deadening that to me was noticeable. ALSO noticeable, is how different the ES is on 18" Bridgestone vs 17" Primacy. The Primacy on 18" was silky smooth...but have to ask them to change out the 18" wheels that come on UL versions. Good dealers won't lose the deal over a tire swap, though might not get the $800 back for going from 198 to 17. Is worth it though if a comfort cruiser is your goal.

Last edited by kellens; 01-01-16 at 09:18 AM.
Old 12-30-15, 04:36 PM
chrisexv6
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Went thru a similar issue on our '15. It had the 18" wheels on it but came with the Bridgestone tires. I didnt write it in the contract to refuse the car if it did, and I didnt want to send it back once I realized it had them (we had it shipped in from another dealer so Id stand to lose any shipping cost incurred)

After 40 miles on the Bridgestones I knew I at least wanted to try the Michelins. Oddly enough my dealer had a car with the 18" wheels and Michelin tires come in the day before I asked nicely. They swapped them with no cost or issue (we actually just swapped the complete wheel/tire set)

The Michelins ride a lot nicer....I havent driven a '16 with 19's yet (18" wheels are too big if you ask me, 19 is just worse!) but it seems to be a standard thing: the Michelins will always ride nicer. Probably wont last as long as the Bridgestones, but Id rather have a nicer ride than longer lasting tires.

Quick Reply: Lexus cheaped out on the tires