ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Self Leveling HIDs

Old 01-02-13, 12:13 PM
uicandrew
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Arty101
How does the UL package with HIDs and ambient lights differ from the regular HIDs? I thought ambient lighting affected only the interior.
No difference. I was just commenting that I really like ambient lighting on dark country roads because it makes the cabin not so dark.
Old 01-02-13, 01:00 PM
amphipri0n
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Like others on this thread, looking on multiple sources of info (lexus.com / reviews / manual) I was given the impression that the HIDs in the 2013 ES350 were auto leveling. Sounds like this ISN'T the case? I've never noticed the headlamps leveling on startup, but assumed they were... maybe it's because they don't.
Old 01-02-13, 01:09 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Does anyone have the window sticker for their car handy? Maybe under Safety or Convenience items it might say if they are auto leveling or not. Just a thought.
Old 01-02-13, 01:18 PM
Dave Mac
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

Just happen to have mine right in front of me and for the ES is says "High Intensity Discharge (HID) Headlamps" and I really can't see any movement while on my son's GS is says "Be-Xenon Headlamps (HID) ... & Dynamic Auto-Leveling" and it is quite noticable when they come on with the tradition bounce. I do notice in the ES owner's manual it talks about self-leveling lights but then it also talks about and shows a full size spare which is not available in the US to my knowledge.

Dave Mac
Old 01-02-13, 01:19 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I would think with factory HIDs, there would have to be a self leveling feature.
Isn't that one reason why aftermarket HID kits are illegal?
Old 01-02-13, 01:23 PM
ElliotB
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Just checked my window sticker and there is no mention of self-leveling headlamps.
Old 01-02-13, 01:26 PM
Dave Mac
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

I thought the reason some states ban HID conversions is because the reflectors etc. are not designed for HID's and they truly do present some safety issues. All of my earliers cars with HID's had the self leveling but maybe with this model they have taken some other steps to keep them out of oncoming driver's faces. Or maybe they have a new generation self leveling.

Dave Mac
Old 01-02-13, 01:28 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave Mac
I thought the reason some states ban HID conversions is because the reflectors etc. are not designed for HID's and they truly do present some safety issues. All of my earliers cars with HID's had the self leveling but maybe with this model they have taken some other steps to keep them out of oncoming driver's faces. Or maybe they have a new generation self leveling.

Dave Mac

I did post possibly ONE of the reasons...
Old 01-02-13, 02:51 PM
Briano7
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I stopped at the high point of a speed bump and there was no adjustment that I could see.
I wonder how a heavy load in the truck would affect the level of the HID’s.
Old 01-02-13, 04:16 PM
ElliotB
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I read through the ES brochure and there is no mention of a self leveling system.

Also, there are some plastic ridges on the outside of both HID clear plastic covers which I believe spreads some of the light sideways. The headlights give quite a bit of light to either side of the vehicle.
Old 01-02-13, 07:04 PM
Arty101
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Maybe I was wrong presuming the HIDs were self leveling. I assumed they were, but as Dave Mac previously stated, my sticker also states "High Intensity Discharge (HID) Headlamps". No reference to auto leveling. Perhaps Lexus is following Acura's original non leveling HIDs for cost cutting reasons, though I wonder if that's legal.
Old 01-03-13, 07:51 AM
wasjr
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

I will ask the dealer tomorrow, but here is what the Lexus website says under ES/Features/Safety:
"These headlamps provide illumination up to three times that of conventional halogen headlamps while reducing power consumption by roughly 30 percent. They also feature auto-leveling that automatically adjusts the angle of the headlamps to help reduce glare to oncoming drivers."
Old 02-07-13, 06:53 AM
wasjr
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

Since this was brought up on another thread it reminded me that I had not updated here as well. After having the dealer research the situation I was told that the HID option did not include the auto leveling feature. I then emailed Lexus who confirmed with my VIN# that our vehicle does have the HID option but that the option does not have the auto leveling feature. When I then responded to the Lexus CSR that according to their website, the HID option does have the auto leveling feature, and pointed out that if it does not, then they should update the website, she went all CYA and responded:
"Not all options/accessories/packages are available, and some may not be available in all regions of the country. This information is indicated in the disclosure at the bottom of the website. Specifications, features, equipment, technical data, performance figures, options, and color and trim are based upon information available at time of posting, are subject to change without notice. We recommend contacting your selling Lexus dealership for your concerns with your purchase. All Lexus dealers are independently owned and operated, and since Lexus is the manufacturer and distributor, Federal Trade Laws prohibit our direct involvement in the sales process. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause you."

I will add that neither the window sticker nor spec sheets the dealer printout out for each vehicle in inventory that was close to what we wanted indicated that the vehicle had the auto leveling feature, and the dealer did not represent that the car had the feature.
Old 02-07-13, 07:47 AM
bigblack06

Received 315 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by Arty101
How does the UL package with HIDs and ambient lights differ from the regular HIDs? I thought ambient lighting affected only the interior.
I think he is talking about the light located under the wood that sends a smooth LED light into the cabin. Does look good, I was gonna ask this same question cause I haven't seen these lights move an inch. The 12 ES lights I think were the best in terms of visibility compared to 3GS.
Old 02-07-13, 10:10 AM
Arty101
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by wasjr
Since this was brought up on another thread it reminded me that I had not updated here as well. After having the dealer research the situation I was told that the HID option did not include the auto leveling feature. I then emailed Lexus who confirmed with my VIN# that our vehicle does have the HID option but that the option does not have the auto leveling feature. When I then responded to the Lexus CSR that according to their website, the HID option does have the auto leveling feature, and pointed out that if it does not, then they should update the website, she went all CYA and responded:
"Not all options/accessories/packages are available, and some may not be available in all regions of the country. This information is indicated in the disclosure at the bottom of the website. Specifications, features, equipment, technical data, performance figures, options, and color and trim are based upon information available at time of posting, are subject to change without notice. We recommend contacting your selling Lexus dealership for your concerns with your purchase. All Lexus dealers are independently owned and operated, and since Lexus is the manufacturer and distributor, Federal Trade Laws prohibit our direct involvement in the sales process. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause you."

I will add that neither the window sticker nor spec sheets the dealer printout out for each vehicle in inventory that was close to what we wanted indicated that the vehicle had the auto leveling feature, and the dealer did not represent that the car had the feature.
Thank you for that update. I guess Lexus has gone backwards with this option similar to when Acura first came out with their HID w/o auto leveling. What a shame.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Self Leveling HIDs