ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Any Techies Out There That Kow Recording Music On A DVD?

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-12, 12:44 PM
JerryKK
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any Techies Out There That Kow Recording Music On A DVD?

OK - see if you can follow this equation and tell me what I am doing wrong:

1) I have blank DVDs

2) I can take a pre-recorded DVD and it will play in the ES300h

3) I can take a blank DVD and record music from a playlist (within ITunes) and then play it back on my computer and it shows the music is there.

4) But when I take that same DVD and try to play it in the car - it says "no music found".

I think the problem lies within Itunes (but obviously not sure) - because when I put a blank DVD in the computer to burn the playlist - I get a note stating something like "you have inserted a DVD and not a CD and have chosen to record data". That's not the exact wording but that is the gist of it.

Is there any way to record music in MP3 format upon a DVD that will then play in my car?
Old 12-25-12, 01:31 PM
jollick
Racer

Received 174 Likes on 152 Posts

JerryKK, I have tried just that and found the same thing, the car will not see the mp3 files on the DVD. When a DVD is inserted, it is looking for the format that DVD movies are in. I have found one program that will convert mp3 music files into a DVD movie. The program that I have used with success is Roxio Music Lab 10 Premier.

From their website http://www.roxio.com/enu/products/re.../overview.html

Create AutoMixes - Create DVD Music discs with up to 50 hours of music on a single disc and smart navigation to make it easy to find songs and playlists.
Old 12-25-12, 01:42 PM
jetman
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Why not just put the MP3s on a thumb drive, plug it into the USB port, and play them from there? Probably a lot faster than recording a DVD and using the proper software to make it readable by the system...
Old 12-25-12, 02:16 PM
JerryKK
Driver

Originally Posted by jollick
JerryKK, I have tried just that and found the same thing, the car will not see the mp3 files on the DVD. When a DVD is inserted, it is looking for the format that DVD movies are in. I have found one program that will convert mp3 music files into a DVD movie. The program that I have used with success is Roxio Music Lab 10 Premier.
Originally Posted by jetman
Why not just put the MP3s on a thumb drive, plug it into the USB port, and play them from there? Probably a lot faster than recording a DVD and using the proper software to make it readable by the system...
Jollick - thanks for the site - I'll check it out.

Jetman - yes, that was my alternative to getting the music into the car. The problem is that I am using Itunes - and while I have burned CDs before I have never moved music onto a flash drive. Is there a quick and easy way to do that?

Thanks
Old 12-25-12, 03:13 PM
uicandrew
Pole Position

If you have a Mac, click and highlight the music you want in iTunes, then drag it onto the flash drive. However, the lexus may not be able to read music that was purchased from the iTunes music store since it is not an mp3
Old 12-25-12, 03:42 PM
JerryKK
Driver

Originally Posted by uicandrew
If you have a Mac, click and highlight the music you want in iTunes, then drag it onto the flash drive. However, the lexus may not be able to read music that was purchased from the iTunes music store since it is not an mp3
I actually have a PC - and all tunes are downloaded from my own CDs.
Old 12-25-12, 04:01 PM
ElliotB
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The player in the ES300h/ES350 is a DVD player, so I believe you can only play DVDs in it (or regular music CDs of course).

You have a couple of choices. You can invest in an inexpensive DVD recorder and record to it (I record Direct TV music channels which are commercial and announcer free onto DVDs) or get video editing software for your computer and record a DVD with your music tracks that are on your computer. Depending on the equipment you have, you can record up to 8 hours (perhaps even more) of music.

Last edited by ElliotB; 12-26-12 at 03:27 AM.
Old 12-27-12, 06:11 AM
es300h
Driver School Candidate

I suggest to use flash drive, you can buy 32GB for around 25$, 64 around $50.
Old 12-27-12, 11:34 AM
JerryKK
Driver

Originally Posted by es300h
I suggest to use flash drive, you can buy 32GB for around 25$, 64 around $50.
Do you (or anyone) know how to transfer a playlist within ITunes to a Flash Drive (or do I need to transfer each song individually)?
Old 12-27-12, 12:50 PM
lemon397
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bluetooth Audio via smart phone.
FYI, the dvd player in nav only works when car is in parking and the brake pedal is turned ON.
Old 12-27-12, 02:53 PM
jollick
Racer

Received 174 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by lemon397
Bluetooth Audio via smart phone.
FYI, the dvd player in nav only works when car is in parking and the brake pedal is turned ON.
That is true for the screen but the sound works while driving.
Old 12-28-12, 08:35 AM
es300h
Driver School Candidate

I have not tried this, however i think you should be able to use export feature of itunes. I usually copy entire directory over to usb and plugin usb drive in car.

Originally Posted by JerryKK
Do you (or anyone) know how to transfer a playlist within ITunes to a Flash Drive (or do I need to transfer each song individually)?
Old 01-22-13, 12:53 PM
Frank1934
Driver School Candidate

Default MP3's from thumb drive

I loaded all my CDs in Itunes. Converted all those MP4 files to MP3. Made folders for each album on my thumb drive and just copied the files to the appropriate folder. Keep the thumb drive plugged into my USB port - works great .