ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Different max load on same tires?

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-24, 11:48 AM
Aryay
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Different max load on same tires?

I'm looking at my tires they were purchased used but 4 of the same ones "MICHELIN PRIMACY MXV4 M/S 215/55 R17 93V". However, i see the max load for 3 of them is listed as 44PSI and the 4th tire says 51PSI. I was wondering If this can be an issue or what the difference is?
the DOT on one is B33F 03XX and other is B33F 0B8X. I'm not sure what they mean.
thanks

Old 04-28-24, 08:13 PM
Tootsall
Instructor

Received 195 Likes on 165 Posts

Michelin sells two different “versions” of the MXV4 with different load ratings and weight bearing. Why? I suspect one is more intended for SUV use and the other for sedans. (Or they come out of factories in different countries). The shop gave you a mix. Why? They probably wanted to get rid of an “orphan” or they ran out of the lower rated (and less expensive) one. I’d be going back and getting them to make it right.
Old 05-01-24, 07:32 AM
Aryay
Driver

Originally Posted by Tootsall
Michelin sells two different “versions” of the MXV4 with different load ratings and weight bearing. Why? I suspect one is more intended for SUV use and the other for sedans. (Or they come out of factories in different countries). The shop gave you a mix. Why? They probably wanted to get rid of an “orphan” or they ran out of the lower rated (and less expensive) one. I’d be going back and getting them to make it right.
Thanks.

I reached out to them. They are saying that- the weight rating is the "93" - if they are all the same the air pressure does not matter because you are not supposed to run them at that PSI anyway.

but would need to ship it back- restocking fee etc it seems.

If keeping the 4th tire that has a higher load rating, should this be an issue long term or better not to?
Old 05-01-24, 09:54 AM
st1800
Advanced

Received 96 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by Aryay
Thanks.

I reached out to them. They are saying that- the weight rating is the "93" - if they are all the same the air pressure does not matter because you are not supposed to run them at that PSI anyway.

but would need to ship it back- restocking fee etc it seems.

If keeping the 4th tire that has a higher load rating, should this be an issue long term or better not to?
I would suspect the 2 different ratings possibly have a difference in construction . I experience a firmer ride with higher load rating tires. See if you can determine the specific differences, number of ply’s etc. Check with Michelin directly.
Old Yesterday, 06:27 AM
Aryay
Driver

I was looking at my original oem tires (below) that came with my vehicle and it seems they all have a max pressure of 51 PSI. It seems possibly the newer Michelin 93v tires are now 44 PSI max. I'm wondering if there can be any issue mixing an older one with new ones?

Old Yesterday, 08:53 AM
Tootsall
Instructor

Just go with the pressure (cold) that is on the plate on the driver door jamb. Max pressure is for extreme loads or conditions which an ES was never intended for.

To learn about DOT codes,
https://www.tires-easy.com/blog/dot-number-on-tires/

Last edited by Tootsall; Yesterday at 09:29 AM.
Old Yesterday, 10:09 AM
lexo98
Racer

Received 266 Likes on 228 Posts

Are you sure the 93v is the same on all 4 tires?
Old Yesterday, 11:42 AM
Aryay
Driver

Originally Posted by Tootsall
Just go with the pressure (cold) that is on the plate on the driver door jamb. Max pressure is for extreme loads or conditions which an ES was never intended for.

To learn about DOT codes,
https://www.tires-easy.com/blog/dot-number-on-tires/
I get this- my pressure is usually around 33 PSI (manufacturer recommended pressure). However I just wanted to be sure it's ok to mix these 2 tires as they have a different max pressure and what's the reason for the differences in max pressure if anyone knows?

Originally Posted by lexo98
Are you sure the 93v is the same on all 4 tires?
Yep, I have been checking this. The reason I'm thinking is possibly they reduced the max pressure on the newer tires? I have reached out to Michelin several times and wasn't able to get an answer as they said they see on their end the pressure should be the same and they're not sure of the discrepancy.
Old Yesterday, 01:41 PM
Tootsall
Instructor

Michelin’s tires (and I’d guess all of the other main players), are made in different factories around the world. In many cases a particular model of tire may be produced in only one factory and it is also possible that one model may be made in different factories depending on the size. I think Michelin would make the “what/where” decision based on both local marketplace wants and distribution costs. Some models may have different specs from different factories ( ie: the same model may be built for sedans or with different specs/ratings for SUVs). To be sure it can be very confusing to the consumer. I see one tire made specifically for EVs (and sold at a ludicrously higher price point). I mean, traction is traction and rolling resistance is rolling resistance and why it should be different for an EV vs an IC only the marketing department knows. That’s why I posted the link to the DOT code breakdown…perhaps someone there can (or will) tell you what/why. At this point I would suggest to stop worrying about it and just drive them and, if it is still a bug, try the DOT people for an answer because it is unlikely that anyone at Michelin will say. If you ever attempt to dive into the DOT codes for automotive window glass from different manufacturers you will run into the same industrial “omerta”.