ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Can someone help a girl out?

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-20, 09:20 AM
MrsWatts
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can someone help a girl out?

Hi everyone! I just aquired a 2010 ES 350 with 130,000 mi. I will be taking it to the shop tommorow for an oil change, cooling system flush . Also want to service the transmission ,the shop offers 3 levels of service and I am not sure which one to go for. I also want to arm myself with information so I won't be taken advantage of because I am a woman. The lowest cost basic service they say includes removing the transmission pan, disposing of the old fluid in pan and inspecting for containments. Replacement of transmission filter or cleaning of the screen and pan gasket or sealing material. The next step up is an exchange of virtually all the old transmission fluid including the torque converter and cooler. The last most expensive option consists of removing transmission pan, replacing the filter or cleaning the screen, replace the pan gasket or pan sealing material and a complete fluid exchange. Now I would like to go with the last option that would leave me with completely fresh fluid and new filter and pan gasket but since my fluid is 130,000 miles old I have to assume it is pretty darn dirty by now and I have heard to do a complete flush at this point can be risky and flush contaniments into the system so do you think it would be better to just replace the fluid in the pan the next 3 times I change my oil? ( every 3,000 miles) and then go for a full flush? Or should the decision be based on the condition of the fluid observed in the pan and the condition of the filter or screen? I am also confused as to why option 2 costs more than option 1 as option 1 involves removing the pan and option 2 does not. Isn't removing the pan the most labor intensive part of the job? Lastley does my car have a filter or a screen? And what type of fluid should be used? Sorry for all the questions I just don't want to go into this blind and risk getting ripped off or my car being damaged. Thank you so much!
Old 08-03-20, 09:37 AM
w84me
Intermediate

Received 83 Likes on 70 Posts

I am currently draining and refilling transmission fluid in preparation for a filter change. it only drains about 1 quart each time, so it takes a while. the most expensive part of this job should be the trans fluid and the complete flush. changing the filter is another hour of work at most. filter and gasket are relatively cheap, so make sure they are not over-charging for that part of the job. But I would do the complete fluid flush - all of it, and the filter change unless you can work a deal with the oil change to get a decent price on changing it 1 qt at a time. draining the fluid is simple. adding a fresh qt back in is a bit harder. have to remove the tire, and a panel that has 2 bolts, then the refill bolt, then add very slow. that is about 20 minutes of work with the right tools and could be done in the time it takes to drain the oil.
Old 08-03-20, 10:00 AM
MrsWatts
Driver School Candidate

Thanks now I read in my manual that toyota genuine atf fluid should only be used but i dont think they have that is there other kinds that are acceptable?
Old 08-03-20, 11:04 AM
w84me
Intermediate

Received 83 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by MrsWatts
Thanks now I read in my manual that toyota genuine atf fluid should only be used but i dont think they have that is there other kinds that are acceptable?

Valvoline Multi-Vehicle (ATF) Full Synthetic Automatic Transmission Fluid - otherwise known as MaxLife around here, I think gets used quite a bit. That is what I am flushing with right now.

Old 08-03-20, 11:43 AM
tolian21
Advanced

Received 163 Likes on 120 Posts

I would only use Toyota WS ATF. You can get it from dealer.
I hope shop working on your transmission is competent, its not a very simple procedure and they need to know nuances of how to do it right
Old 08-03-20, 12:02 PM
RI-Lex
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Have the filter change, but just drain and fill the transmission always.
Old 08-03-20, 12:09 PM
BMGS
Racer

Received 546 Likes on 337 Posts

Is it possible the prior owners have changed the fluid? Either way, if there are no issues with the transmission, I would drain the pan and replace the fluid, filter and gaskets but never flush the fluid.
Old 08-03-20, 12:58 PM
MrsWatts
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by tolian21
I hope shop working on your transmission is competent, its not a very simple procedure and they need to know nuances of how to do it right
yes Im hoping the same thing. Maybe I should go to the dealership
Old 08-03-20, 01:03 PM
MrsWatts
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by tolian21
does 2010 es 350 have a paper filter or just that metal screen thing?
Old 08-03-20, 01:10 PM
mcomer
Lead Lap

Received 844 Likes on 638 Posts

The Engine Oil and Coolant systems will drain virtually every drop out
when you pull the plug(s). The simple drain and fill (w/filter for oil) is sufficient.
The Transmission is rather different. Most of the transmission fluid is held up
inside the torque converter and inside the various passages and valves. Dropping
the pan only allows a small portion of the total fluid to be removed and replaced.
Not being a "change one sock a day" kind of guy, I would advise the flush type
maintenance for the trans. They remove the inlet and outlet trans fluid lines from
the radiator end cap and hook them to a machine that holds as much fluid as the trans.
They start the car and idle the motor. The transmissions own pump transfers the fluid
to the machine while fresh fluid returns.
Old 08-03-20, 03:00 PM
salvojimmy
Rookie

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by MrsWatts
if you go to a dealer, go to a Toyota dealer, likely much cheaper than Lexus dealer. Just my experience and it is a Camrey basically. Wife’s 2008 serviced ai Toyota dealer for years
Old 08-03-20, 09:50 PM
Wilson2000
Pole Position

Received 419 Likes on 334 Posts

Yelp reputable independent shops or ask friends for trustworthy recommendations. Forget the dealers and forget the chains--they're in business to maximize profit, not to maximize the reliablility of your vehicle.

I drain and fill my wife's 2011 ES tranny about every 30K miles. I might think about a drain, filter replacement and fill by the time we get to 120K miles. All modern Dexron type fluids are compatible with your ES, but I only use the high-end synthetics in my Toyota auto trannies. I have not bothered with the WS designation.

Sorry, but you won't often get a consensus in this, or any online forum. People's opinions are often varied on most topics.

Last edited by Wilson2000; 08-06-20 at 11:56 AM.
Old 08-04-20, 12:32 PM
tolian21
Advanced

Received 163 Likes on 120 Posts

Toyota ATF WS fluid is a conservative approach because its what manufacture recommends. others might work too, but if in doubt, always use OEM.

toyota dealer will likely just do the drain and will not replace a filter unless you insist.