ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Considering high mileage 07.....

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-17, 07:33 PM
Jbthompson
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Considering high mileage 07.....

hi everyone. I am a long time Lexus owner, having owned several LS430s and 400s over the years. I decided last year I wanted a truck but have missed the Lexus ride and drive every day. I’m considering an 07 ES350, no NAV with 160k miles. I can get it for round 5k. The price is right but the mileage makes me a bit nervous. I am trying to reduce my monthly expenses and drive a car that gets better gas mileage than my truck and something I can pay off quickly. Maintenance records are iffy this point but I am trying to track some down. Thoughts on an ES with this kind of mileage?
Old 11-19-17, 08:18 PM
ThumperPup
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 60 Posts

[QUOTE=Jbthompson;10035680]hi everyone. I am a long time Lexus owner, having owned several LS430s and 400s over the years. I decided last year I wanted a truck but have missed the Lexus ride and drive every day. I’m considering an 07 ES350, no NAV with 160k miles. I can get it for round 5k. The price is right but the mileage makes me a bit nervous. I am trying to reduce my monthly expenses and drive a car that gets better gas mileage than my truck and something I can pay off quickly. Maintenance records are iffy this point but I am trying to track some down. Thoughts on an ES with this kind of mileage?[/QUOTE )

My 07 has 189k on it i havn't had any majur repairs that have been needed over the past 80,000 miles i think that last big thing was the Alternator i think that was about 80k ago oh and the shocks and struts i did at 120k
if the maintenance logs can be provided and you see its got a good history on time oil changes and regular service items have not been neglected i would go for it for 5k i think that's a good price.

I just had some credit cards i wanted to pay off so i went to my credit union to borrow some money they suggested since i own my car out right that i take a auto loan out on my vehicle i asked them how are you going to give me an auto loan on a car with 189k on it they said no problem with that.
They checked it over and said since they value my car at 8,300 that to loan me the 2500 i wanted would not be a problem since i have not had an auto loan before this is going to help my credit also for when i want to buy my next car in 2 years.

the main thing is maintance and making sure its good i am looking forward to getting another 100k on my car over the next 2 to 3 years without any issues.
Old 11-19-17, 09:33 PM
12jimmyjam
Advanced

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

Overall less reliable than the older LS and ES models but still a good powertrain-probably why it’s still being used. Some common issues are axles, window problems. Some transmission flair, oil lines, and oil leak issues on the 07s. Seems like a pretty good deal though.
Old 11-20-17, 06:28 AM
tolian21
Advanced

Received 163 Likes on 120 Posts

It always funny to me when people are buying 10yr+ cars with high milage and demanding to see maintance history. Take it to a mechanic or dealer for pre-sale check. If it checks out ok and you like the price yoy buy it, if not, you move on.
obviously oil was changed regularly if the car has 190k miles and engine runs fine.

Last edited by tolian21; 11-20-17 at 06:33 AM.
Old 11-20-17, 07:45 AM
Jbthompson
Intermediate

Originally Posted by tolian21
It always funny to me when people are buying 10yr+ cars with high milage and demanding to see maintance history. Take it to a mechanic or dealer for pre-sale check. If it checks out ok and you like the price yoy buy it, if not, you move on.
obviously oil was changed regularly if the car has 190k miles and engine runs fine.
I totally agree. More of a piece of mind thing. I've had LSs with pages of records and three weeks later a radiator blows up. Stuff happens with age no doubt.
Old 11-20-17, 04:33 PM
ThumperPup
Racer

Received 66 Likes on 60 Posts

I will always ask for maintance records for the amount of time that person owned that car

i want to know if the battery has ever been replaced has the shocks or struts ever been replace
doe sthat car have orignal axles with 180k on it.
when was the last time any fluids such as PS Brake Transmision fluid where changed how often was the oil changed

these all will factor into the desision to buy a car

so those above who say they find it funny when someone asks for service records well i find you funny when you dont
The following users liked this post:
hisstojay (11-20-17)
Old 11-20-17, 05:00 PM
tolian21
Advanced

Received 163 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by ThumperPup
so those above who say they find it funny when someone asks for service records well i find you funny when you dont
You can ask, but does not mean people keep that stuff around, especially when car value is only few grand. Supply is limited, and if u want something specific it can be impossible to find.
Old 11-20-17, 05:49 PM
Jbthompson
Intermediate

Looks like the rear axle was replaced. Pretty regular oil changes. The previous owner drove the car for 85k miles in total.
Old 11-21-17, 06:47 PM
Jbthompson
Intermediate

Drive it today. Drive really nice and overall good shape. The dashboard has a crack which is a bummer. I am guessing we’ve missed the chance to get the dashboard replaced?
Old 11-22-17, 07:49 AM
ESh
Lead Lap

Received 855 Likes on 650 Posts

Originally Posted by Jbthompson
Drive it today. Drive really nice and overall good shape. The dashboard has a crack which is a bummer. I am guessing we’ve missed the chance to get the dashboard replaced?

I’m afraid so. I spoke with Lexus and they told me if the car is more than 10 years old the it does not qualify for the replacement policy.
Old 11-22-17, 11:14 PM
chuyrobles
Instructor

Received 217 Likes on 176 Posts

I say skip on the ES350 and get a same year Camry I4. The ES350 is essentially a re-badged Camry. The ride is smooth (similar suspension to the ES350); gets better gas mileage; has decent power, and more importantly, is easier to work on.
Old 11-23-17, 08:07 AM
jkayca
Intermediate

Received 45 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by chuyrobles
I say skip on the ES350 and get a same year Camry I4. The ES350 is essentially a re-badged Camry. The ride is smooth (similar suspension to the ES350); gets better gas mileage; has decent power, and more importantly, is easier to work on.
The I4 is seriously under powered. I test drove one and the V6 version when shopping for my ES. There's no comparison between the two.
Old 11-23-17, 08:31 AM
ESh
Lead Lap

Received 855 Likes on 650 Posts

Originally Posted by chuyrobles

You just can’t compatr the ES with the Camry.
Old 11-24-17, 03:10 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

I’m not above a Camry, but the lack of power, poor interior quality, and small touches such as the one touch windows alll around or heated coooled seats, things missing on even a fully loaded one, would drive me nuts. That being said, if you don’t care about those types of things go for it, although I can’t say the Camry would be my first choice.
Old 11-24-17, 06:23 PM
Jbthompson
Intermediate

Ended up buying it and really pleased. Couldn’t buy a junky accord for much less money!

Quick Reply: Considering high mileage 07.....