ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Anybody ever replace their transmission mount?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-17, 08:51 PM
12jimmyjam
Advanced

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts
Default Anybody ever replace their transmission mount?

Hi all. I've been chasing down a troubling vibration upon acceleration that I haven't been able to nail down. Replaced both axles, spark plugs, and struts. Still it persists.

I'm hoping it's not an internal transmission issue although I have maintained it wit transmission flushes at 90k and 135k (I'm at 151k now). Being that I get what feels like a miss with the car in drive but stopped which goes away when I put it in neutral makes me think that it may be a mount.

Symptoms are a vibration when accelerating that recently feels like a back and forth wobble. It often feels as if it is right under my feet. Not a terrible vibration, but clearly noticeable. Something definitely going on there. Thanks for any help!
Old 06-30-17, 01:42 AM
chuyrobles
Instructor

Received 250 Likes on 199 Posts

That leaves LCA bushings and wheel bearings. Also a stuck caliper.
Old 06-30-17, 06:37 AM
jkayca
Advanced

Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts

Worn/damaged engine mount?
Old 06-30-17, 11:16 AM
12jimmyjam
Advanced

My MPGs have dropped a bit recently but I'm not seeing excessive brake dust or one wheel being hotter than another (I checked with a laser thermometer).

Would a bearing demonstrate any other symptoms?

And does anyone know how many mounts there are in total? And would a Haynes manual contain the repair instructions? Thanks all.
Old 07-01-17, 04:57 PM
chuyrobles
Instructor

Three mounts plus a dog bone shape strut on top, pass side. That one has rubber inserts similar to a bushing. I've replaced ours twice. The bigger rubber piece was the culprit. We never felt any vibration but it could if your is in worst shape.

Mounts are on either side and the front middle. Three bolts each accessible from the bottom in the frame, plus one large nut on top - for the sides, don't remember top bolt on the middle mount.
Old 07-01-17, 11:48 PM
12jimmyjam
Advanced

Thanks for the replies guys.
Old 07-04-17, 10:56 AM
igzy
Lead Lap

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by 12jimmyjam
Thanks for the replies guys.
I had the same problem and I just replaced the front engine mount. Is your 2007? Mine is... Symptom was vibration under acceleration... The engine mount you need to replace is the active engine mount. There was a TSB for this same condition...

Let me know if you need any help with replacing it. It took me about one hour to replace...
Old 07-04-17, 12:49 PM
12jimmyjam
Advanced

Oh good! I hope the problem is that simple. I've dumped over 3 grand into this thing over the last 6 months. Thank you.
Old 07-04-17, 07:28 PM
chuyrobles
Instructor

Keep us posted. Our ES350 has a slight wobble sensation when accelerating also, no vibration yet under the feet. Very light wobble that will likely get more pronounced. Thought it was the CV axles, but now you got me thinking motor mounts. At 200K, the car can probably use new of everything.
Old 07-04-17, 08:36 PM
12jimmyjam
Advanced

Yeah- I recently replaced both axles and didn't go oem so I was worried that those were the problem. I'll order the part soon and follow up.
Old 07-05-17, 05:07 AM
igzy
Lead Lap

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

For my '07 with 120ish K miles the shake under acceleration started during this past winter. I thought it were the winter tires/wheels balance. In the spring the vibration didn't stop with summer wheel set. It shook only during acceleration from 30mph to 60mph, usually when I try to merge a freeway from an on-ramp. I did the stall test, balanced all tires, and confirmed that during steady speeds it didn't shake. Then I came across the TSB that explains a new active mount was introduced due to engine vibrations at any RPM other than idle. I couldn't get the vibrations while parked and my first guess was also CV shafts (drive shafts). Luckily I didn't replace them or anything else...

I bought and replaced the active engine mount, and this is day 4 without vibrations It is the mount [5] in this diagram, part # 12361-31171, it is located right next to the radiator and between exhaust manifold and air intake, easily accessed from the top:
https://www.parts.com/media/images/o.../8/8921195.gif
Old 07-29-17, 10:29 AM
12jimmyjam
Advanced

So I found some cracks in the dogbone mount and replaced it. I've attached pictures here. I guess that the insulator mount is the next step. Is it an easy one to replace?
Old 07-29-17, 09:05 PM
chuyrobles
Instructor

Two weeks ago, I replaced the dog bone shape strut for the second time. The middle rubber split both times. I looked but never found the inserts; had to purchase the whole mount. I took a look at the middle motor mount - the one in front of the engine. Looks easy to replace. Doesn't look like you need to raise the engine; the mount is on a bracket that appears you can unbolt from the engine.
Old 07-30-17, 04:14 PM
12jimmyjam
Advanced

So I took a look from a distance at the lower front mount today. I noticed that the black connecting wire was broken on it right by the top connector. Not really sure how that happened.

I think that I'm going to buy the remaining 3 mounts on ebay (cheaper oem) and replace them. Does anyone have a link to a tutorial or video? I couldn't find one myself. I bought the Haynes manual but it's pretty much worthless. Thanks all.
Old 08-07-17, 01:09 PM
12jimmyjam
Advanced

So thus far I have replaced the dogbone and front engine mounts. The front one was a pita with the electrical connections. I had to remove the battery and front of the air intake to get it out once I figured out that there was no easy way to get it out.

I have the two side mounts on order now. Couple of questions if anyone can answer them:

1. Do I remove the dogbone when replacing them?
2. The driver's side mount is for the transmission. Do I only jack up the transmission when replacing this side?

I had an appointment with the local Lexus dealer but they wanted $250-$500 just to check the mounts along with the LCA bushings, ball joints, and bearings. I declined and took it to my local tire guy who did the work in under an hour. He also said that the book was telling him that it is a 10 hour job to replace the side mounts. Good guy, but I'm pretty sure that the book is wrong on that one.

I've been looking all over for a tutorial. The Haynes manual is worthless, no step by step on any forums, and YouTube doesn't have anything on our ES or Camry equivalent. Thanks for any help!

Quick Reply: Anybody ever replace their transmission mount?