ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

What to do when Mr. Tire screws up your brake pads/rotor?

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-17, 01:41 PM
LoveMyES
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What to do when Mr. Tire screws up your brake pads/rotor?

I have a 2012 Lexus ES350 that I have treated like a baby. I have 43,000 miles on it. Seeing that my front brake pads would probably need to be replaced in about three months I decided to be proactive and take it to Mr. Tire to have them replaced. I've been going to this location for over 15 years and have generally had good service even though they are now under new management.

Instead of just replacing the brake pads, they talked me into some "package" where they ended up resurfacing my front rotors. Unnecessary I thought, but they said it would make the brake pads fit even better. About a week later I start to hear a clicking sound on my front passenger tire every time I brake. So I take it back in and they say, "Wow, something wasn't right with those new pads. They actually ground into your rotor a little bit. We resurfaced it again and put new pads on for free."

I wasn't too happy that my rotors had now been resurfaced twice. There's only so much meat on the bone before you have to get new rotors. They said they'd cut me a deal when it comes time to get new rotors in the future.

So fast-forward about two weeks and all of a sudden again I hear that same clicking noise. I even recorded the audio with my iPhone because when you drive close to a brick building the sound echoes pretty well back into the car.

I took it in and the Mr. Tire guys said they couldn't "recreate the noise" and that many cars make a little sound when you brake, especially after it rains. But it hadn't rained and this clicking happens all the time. They said they inspected it and everything looks fine, there's nothing they can do.

My question is this: are they just telling me this because they don't want to be on the hook for having to buy me new rotors? My car seems to brake pretty well, so there's no issue there. I just never had this noise before in 43,000 miles so it's annoying as hell to hear it every time I drive.

Now I don't know what to do. If I take it to the dealer of course they're going to say I need new brakes. So how do I get an honest opinion? I need to take proof to Mr. Tire so they'll fix this and I don't have to pay for it (again). Would the dealer let me go back into the bay and show me the brake pads and let me take a video of it with my phone?

Or do I need to find an honest friend who has automotive skills and have him look at it with me?

Thanks for any suggestions!
Old 06-11-17, 06:01 PM
12jimmyjam
Advanced

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

It's pretty common to have noise when switching to aftermarket brake components on these vehicles. I have no idea why though. Shouldn't affect drivability.

But I don't believe that they can't hear it. Mr. Tire sucks (at least my local one does).
Old 06-12-17, 06:01 AM
LoveMyES
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 12jimmyjam
It's pretty common to have noise when switching to aftermarket brake components on these vehicles. I have no idea why though. Shouldn't affect drivability.

But I don't believe that they can't hear it. Mr. Tire sucks (at least my local one does).
So the fact that they messed something up the first time doesn't sound weird? It's the same exact noise I was hearing before.

In the future, to avoid this noise, should I just have the dealer do my brakes? Uggghh $$$$.
Old 06-12-17, 07:33 AM
ESh
Lead Lap

Received 1,041 Likes on 774 Posts

I would buy brake components kit for the front, $17 at Orellys. I did it myself.
Old 06-13-17, 04:18 AM
tolian21
Advanced

Received 192 Likes on 134 Posts

big mistake is to use chain stores like mr tire, ntb and etc.
I never go there. Good trusted mechanic or dealer only.
Old 06-13-17, 07:47 AM
LoveMyES
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by LjeksesES
I would buy brake components kit for the front, $17 at Orellys. I did it myself.
Wow, if it's that cheap to get original parts why doesn't Mr. Tire use those? Or can I suggest it myself next time?

I just hate going to the dealer for an oil change and they charge almost $100. Same with a simple brake pad job.
Old 06-14-17, 07:24 AM
tolian21
Advanced

Received 192 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by LoveMyES
Wow, if it's that cheap to get original parts why doesn't Mr. Tire use those? Or can I suggest it myself next time?

I just hate going to the dealer for an oil change and they charge almost $100. Same with a simple brake pad job.
oem brake pads and rotors are not that cheap. You can buy them online to save money. Its around $60 for a OEM front pads. You can use aftermarket pads, but some of them are junk.