ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Cams in my car

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-16, 05:24 PM
Blueshark
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Cams in my car

A lexus member asked me to show my inside cameras setup, so instead of responding to one person, i will be glad to post a general ideas of my cameras inside my present car.

The story began when i saw a volvo with side cameras, i had the idea to incorporate more view angles in my car, having already the backup camera, i wanted to add side view and a front view, mainly my own security and to prevent scratching the front of my car.

Material used:

1. two smalls 2.3 inch screens with cameras = side view
2. one 4.3 inch screen with camera = front view

Installation:

Very easy. Being creative, i wanted to make it the most discret possible. I don't want to cluster the front dash, so i've used the sunglass overhead and the center armrest console.

For the sunglass overhead, i've removed the pocket and make a aluminium plate and audio fabric to silicone the two small screens to it. Velcro does not work due to the weight of the screens and the vibration of the car. Use hot glue or silicone, caution with hotglue for summer.

All the wires are feed from the roof, very easy, simply snakes the wire, minimal removal.

The cameras are install from each side of the B pillar, no wire seen. I've constructed a cheap way to fix the cameras, very stable.

For the front camera, i've used the oem small plate in the front bumper, drilled a hole to fix the camera.The placement has to be low enough to see any obstacles to prevent to scratch the bumper.

All my cameras are hooked to a switches box to activate as needed, i find it useful because i don't use theses cameras often.

PICTURES:

The car is very dirty from my return trip from work, I will clean up the car and repost new pictures if any interest.

Last edited by Blueshark; 01-15-16 at 05:40 PM.
Old 01-24-16, 09:44 AM
CQRT
Driver

What was your reasoning for using all those cameras?
Old 01-25-16, 08:21 PM
Blueshark
Lead Lap

Mainly for security. I use side mirrors for blind spot, but find it easier using camera, less need to turn my head. Many cars now have side view camera. The way is it positionned, it is like viewing from the back seats, very helpful.

For the front, it is to prevent scratching my front bumper. I do have parking sensors, but find it limited when the obstables are low. I almost scratch my front bumper once on a ciment block in the parking because it is too low, that were the idea come from.

I don't want to have screens everywhere, so it is hidden most of the time. The miniatures screens are fixed in a incline position, hard to see from cars behind.

I would hope that these small improvements are cost effective to prevent any costly events.
Old 01-26-16, 05:46 AM
GCL
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Do you have a better picture of what you can see from the front camera?

Would you actually be able to see the curb / parking barrier (about 6" high) as you approach?
Old 01-26-16, 06:21 AM
Blueshark
Lead Lap

I have to wash my car before taking some cleaner pictures.

Yes, the front bumper camera has a wide view angle to see even on the road level, that is the point. I did not want to drill on any permanent areas, so the hook cover plate is the prefered area, i can either leave it there or remplace the plate in the future. I've tried some sonar sensors for the same use, but it keeps beeping for anything.

Unfortunately, i bought camera that has guidance lines on it because i can't find with no guidance line.

Last edited by Blueshark; 01-26-16 at 06:25 AM.
Old 01-27-16, 12:58 PM
Lexus081
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

wow buddy this is pretty cool. you even have cameras on the sides of the car. this most have cost you like $1k-2k ???

i may get the front and rear camera
Old 01-27-16, 02:23 PM
Blueshark
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Lexus081
wow buddy this is pretty cool. you even have cameras on the sides of the car. this most have cost you like $1k-2k ???

i may get the front and rear camera
This thread was made upon your request glad you like it.