ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

2007 Lexus ES350 Transmission Oil Change DIY (with pics)...

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-16, 04:32 AM
ESh
Lead Lap

Received 1,049 Likes on 779 Posts

Don't worry, your english is OK.

AFAIK, there's now way to do the tranny update if you are out of US. I am out of US too and the dealer in here can't get those cuw files.

Did you try to reset the tranny (disconecting the battery) and then driving it hard for 10-15 minutes?
Old 02-04-16, 08:28 AM
JeremyYoo
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LjeksesES
Don't worry, your english is OK.

AFAIK, there's now way to do the tranny update if you are out of US. I am out of US too and the dealer in here can't get those cuw files.

Did you try to reset the tranny (disconecting the battery) and then driving it hard for 10-15 minutes?
Hi
I have just done tranny reset and run hard for about 15mins on a hard accelaration flare is not happening but on a mild or mid accelaration it still flares

Is there any report that lack of tranny oil might possoblu be one of reason for 3-4 flare?
Old 02-04-16, 02:25 PM
12jimmyjam
Advanced

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

Can I tell you how much I miss the good old days when you could just unscrew a bolt, drain some fluid, and then refill through the dipstick tube? Easier than changing oil.
Old 02-04-16, 04:00 PM
ESh
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by JeremyYoo
Hi
I have just done tranny reset and run hard for about 15mins on a hard accelaration flare is not happening but on a mild or mid accelaration it still flares

Is there any report that lack of tranny oil might possoblu be one of reason for 3-4 flare?

OK, try one more thing, turn on the engine, shift the lever from P>R>N>D>S4>1>2>3>4>5>6>D or R and drive it normaly. It should not flare.

I think the oil level is not important for the flare.

How many km you have?
Old 02-05-16, 06:10 PM
chuyrobles
Instructor

Received 250 Likes on 199 Posts

It's been almost a year since I replaced the ATF filter and I don't remember removing so many bolts to get to that hard to reach pan bolt. I removed a nut from the top of the driver side motor mount; and three nuts (or bolts) from the bottom of the front engine mount. On one of the nuts/bolts, I removed a plastic cover from the frame in order to access it. You only need to lift about an inch or so - definitely not more than the threads on the driver side motor mount or you may have a hard time re-aligning the mount.

As for using Techstream to monitor the right ATF temp at which to check the fluid level, there are at least two links I can dig out that effectively proved, to me at least, that Techstream is no more accurate than using an IR gun to check the ATF temperature.
Old 08-29-16, 04:32 PM
RookieLEX
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

LjeksesES

Do you still have the pictures for steps section on page 1? Since they no longer available.

Old 08-30-16, 12:37 AM
ESh
Lead Lap

I can see them. Try to turn off the antivirus.
Old 08-31-16, 02:32 PM
RookieLEX
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yup that did the trick. thanks!
Old 11-05-16, 05:48 AM
eroncone
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Plug bolt torque specs on the 2GR-FE

FYI

(a) Install the overflow plug with a new gasket.
Torque: 40 Nm (408 kgf-cm, 30 ft-lbf)

(b) Install the refill plug with a new gasket.
Torque: 49 Nm (500 kgf-cm, 36 ft-lbf)

Source:
workshop-manuals.com

Last edited by eroncone; 11-05-16 at 06:06 AM. Reason: added source information
The following users liked this post:
Blwnhemi (03-11-23)
Old 11-05-16, 06:00 AM
eroncone
Driver School Candidate

Default Engine Mount Bolt Sizes

FYI

On my 2007 2GR-FE ES350 at 117k miles.

Driver side and Passenger side Engine Mount Bolt Sizes: 17mm deepwell
Torque (at removal): 2x Through-frame nuts 70NM, 1x Bracket nut 80NM

Front Engine Mount Bolt Sizes: 14mm
Torque (at removal): 1x Through-frame nuts 50NM, 2x Bracket nut 50NM
Old 11-06-16, 03:11 AM
copa1987
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Found alternate ways to remove the last PIA tranny pan bolt

Aloha guys!
I was following this post for a while. Planning to do mine during the Thanksgiving weekend.
I did some research on how to remove the last tranny pan bolt without lifting up the entire transmission.

Tonight, I jack up the car and tried. I found 2 solution
1. Use a 10mm offset box endwrench (I got mine from Oreilly in Honolulu, it is a bleeder wrench costs only $6)
2. Use a 10mm 1/4 drive socket, with a universal joint and extension (must be 1/4 drive socket and it just barely fits)

I just don't want to mess with the transmission mount and lifting it up. Hope this help

By the way, do we need to replace the plastic overflow tube? can it be reused?
I checked with the toyota and lexus dealer on island and none of them have it in stock.
The sale person said it may not be a common item, also no one has requested for this part....WTH.... I was shocked!
Attached Thumbnails 2007 Lexus ES350 Transmission Oil Change DIY (with pics)...-2016-11-05-4766.jpg   2007 Lexus ES350 Transmission Oil Change DIY (with pics)...-2016-11-05-4768.jpg   2007 Lexus ES350 Transmission Oil Change DIY (with pics)...-2016-11-05-4769.jpg  
The following 2 users liked this post by copa1987:
99RX300PDX (07-28-21), crldz (06-30-20)
Old 11-06-16, 05:33 AM
eroncone
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by copa1987
Aloha guys!
I was following this post for a while. Planning to do mine during the Thanksgiving weekend.
I did some research on how to remove the last tranny pan bolt without lifting up the entire transmission.

Tonight, I jack up the car and tried. I found 2 solution
1. Use a 10mm offset box endwrench (I got mine from Oreilly in Honolulu, it is a bleeder wrench costs only $6)
2. Use a 10mm 1/4 drive socket, with a universal joint and extension (must be 1/4 drive socket and it just barely fits)

I just don't want to mess with the transmission mount and lifting it up. Hope this help

By the way, do we need to replace the plastic overflow tube? can it be reused?
I checked with the toyota and lexus dealer on island and none of them have it in stock.
The sale person said it may not be a common item, also no one has requested for this part....WTH.... I was shocked!

Nice tips Copa.

Tube does not need to be replaced if it is not broken. It serves as ATF-WS level adjustment. At 40-45°C, vehicle level, and overflow plug (drain plug) off:
  • fill until the some fluid comes out
  • put overflow plug back in
  • add additional 200ml
  • put filler plug back in
Old 11-06-16, 12:43 PM
copa1987
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by eroncone
Nice tips Copa.

Tube does not need to be replaced if it is not broken. It serves as ATF-WS level adjustment. At 40-45°C, vehicle level, and overflow plug (drain plug) off:
  • fill until the some fluid comes out
  • put overflow plug back in
  • add additional 200ml
  • put filler plug back in
Thanks eroncone
I have heard from other forum that this plastic tube is extremely fragile, keep a spare in case it breaks.
I have ordered one from Lexus just in case if I break it.
Old 11-06-16, 05:22 PM
eroncone
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by copa1987
Thanks eroncone
I have heard from other forum that this plastic tube is extremely fragile, keep a spare in case it breaks.
I have ordered one from Lexus just in case if I break it.
I used a foaming degreaser to clean the pan and magnets. I did not notice it as being fragile, but I was careful in not rough-housing during the cleaning process.

Having a spare is not a bad option as it is not expensive and could keep the car off the rack overnight while riding a bicycle to the Lexus/Toyota dealer in the event that it is broken.
Old 12-08-16, 10:04 PM
Shubber67
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi;
First I would like to thank you for this great job and all what you did for us

Since I have the same problem with my 07 ES350, I've visited the dealer explaining what is happening with my ES350. The answer was, we have to check the transmission and see and there is no new software for this car.

I went the day after to a local transmission shop and they drove the car, plugged their computer, and the guy told that everything seem to be OK and nothing wrong with the transmission or the body valve. And there advice was just unhooked the battery for an hour or so so the computer reset itself. Also, he mentioned the fluid change after I showed him what you did.

I want to ask you, in your opinion what should I do first, the software update, pulling IGN 30A fuse, or the fluid change (how many quarters i need, 12?

Also, this software update should be done by Lexus dealer only? the dealer told me that there is no update just they flash the computer and see

Thanks

Last edited by Shubber67; 12-08-16 at 10:09 PM.

Quick Reply: 2007 Lexus ES350 Transmission Oil Change DIY (with pics)...