ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Should I repair sharp pencil dot sized winshield chip?

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-12, 09:18 AM
tolian21
Advanced

Received 163 Likes on 120 Posts
Default Should I repair sharp pencil dot sized winshield chip?

I got a tinny chip, size of a dot made by sharp pencil. Almost not noticeable, when you run your nail you can feel a small groove.
The concern about repairing it in safe-lite that they will made it more noticeable than it is.
Old 09-02-12, 11:13 AM
garsarno
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

If they fix it now, the cost is n/c. If you wait until it cracks (and with colder weather on its way), then it might fracture larger than the n/c repair and you will be out your deductible. Your between a rock and a hard place on this one.
Old 09-02-12, 12:22 PM
tolian21
Advanced

Originally Posted by garsarno
If they fix it now, the cost is n/c. If you wait until it cracks (and with colder weather on its way), then it might fracture larger than the n/c repair and you will be out your deductible. Your between a rock and a hard place on this one.
Its a tiny chip, like a ball point pen dot, its hard to find it, when they fix it, will they make it look noticable? Maybe they wont even fix it because its so tiny
Old 09-02-12, 07:18 PM
garsarno
Lexus Champion

Probably worth a stop at a Safelite type windshield repair place for an opinion.
Old 09-02-12, 07:19 PM
garsarno
Lexus Champion

And if they fix it, you will see a slight "halo" effect around where the chip used to be.
Old 09-03-12, 05:30 AM
tolian21
Advanced

Not sure if they will not be biased to recommend the repair to get paid
Old 09-03-12, 06:03 AM
garsarno
Lexus Champion

I'm sure they would be but just get their opinion. I remember, on my 2007, a small chip of small stone hit the drivers side of the windshield as a car passed, causing a "ping" noise. I saw where it hit and it looked so small that I thought nothing of it. A few days later, that little ping mark fractured with very small lines. By the time I took the windshield in for evaluation, it grew to the point of needing a very expensive windshield (for Allstate as I had a $50 deductible).
Old 09-03-12, 06:18 AM
SatComm302
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by garsarno
I agree...
Old 09-03-12, 06:26 AM
tolian21
Advanced

I'll stop by. Right now its not visible unless you look really close to see a tiny ball point dot ... I just don't want them to push for the repair that perhaps is not needed. The concern is that after the repair it might look a lot more noticeable.... they usually like to drill it and stuff. Obviously if repair is needed because windshield can crack, I want it, but I don't want them to do it for the sole purpose of making money. That is my dilemma
Old 09-03-12, 08:22 AM
garsarno
Lexus Champion

Its a tough choice. If they repair it, the halo will be noticeable for the time being, especially if it is in your direct line of sight. Had a repair years ago but the halo was just above the wiper blade stop. Saw it for a week or so and then lost interest in looking at it.
Old 09-03-12, 08:41 AM
JRey350hou
Intermediate

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

Oh My ! It just got bigger trying to decide whether to fix it.
Old 09-03-12, 02:30 PM
jacobjohn
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

honestly...just fix it. It will save you the stress from always worrying about whether it will crack more or not.
Old 09-03-12, 03:18 PM
garyw3141
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by tolian21
I got a tinny chip, size of a dot made by sharp pencil. Almost not noticeable, when you run your nail you can feel a small groove.
The concern about repairing it in safe-lite that they will made it more noticeable than it is.
Yes repair it now before it becomes a bigger problem.
Old 09-04-12, 05:40 AM
RickC5
Lead Lap

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

FWIW, out here in western Colorado, we get rock chips in the windshields constantly--that would be several major chips and a multitude of smaller ones every year. First, this is the Rocky Mountains & there's lots of rocks that get picked up by other car's tires and they smack into the windshield. Then, the highway dept uses gravel on the roads in the winter. Not as much here in GJ as in the Denver area, but there's always some. That stuff can be as bad as a sand blaster!

Anyway. I only have those fixed that have "starred" on first impact (like from a BIG rock). I simply ignore all the others and I've never had a small, un-starred chip get any worse. Eventually the windshield gets enough chips that it becomes difficult to see through at night, and then it's time to get a new one. Something the size of a pencil point I wouldn't even notice.

To each his own.....
Old 09-04-12, 07:46 AM
unklexus
Rookie

I'd also just watch carefully for any starring, I've had 'gouges and pits' in the glass that haven't ever evolved further. But the instant you see a line no matter how long(short), get it fixed. Lexii windshields are pretty solid.

Quick Reply: Should I repair sharp pencil dot sized winshield chip?