Search this Thread

Old 01-31-17, 02:41 PM
globetrot
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Keep on keepin' on...

Originally Posted by codejd
My dash is doing this;

I didn't even think about the "sticky/melting dash" issue so I went to a local automotive shop to see what they thought. The shop I went to is where my dealer sends vehicles for things like window tinting, door dings, leather tears, etc.. The guy there came out with a shop towel dipped in some type of cleaner but when he rubbed on the side of my dash you could see bits of black that came off in his towel. He immediately stopped rubbing and grabbed a guy from the shop to take a look who as soon as he got in my vehicle said he wouldn't advise cleaning any more and I should instead take it to the dealer because he had seen several hundred of Toyota's/Lexus's with a similar problem, although normally sticky & melting. I took it to my dealer who denied the notion of it being sticky/melting but it really didn't set well with me so I contacted Lexus who sent two regional representatives down yesterday to take a look. They too denied my claim saying that the damage is a result of cleaning the dash with some type of product other than water. I told them that the problem didn't exist until recently and it was only cleaned (partially) after I noticed the problem. Besides, I think it is rather odd that the dash would only exhibit the problem along the top of the glove box and over by the ignition push-button start had the entire dash been cleaned with something other than warm water? I conveyed that to the reps who said the dash might act differently in different places.

Now I don't know what to do so I thought I would see if this problem is as widespread as the sticky/melting issue.

I want to start a petition, but if I am the only one effected, what's the point.

TIA!
I hope that you do not let this go. Especially if your VIN No. matches those in the recall. Everyone is lauding Lexus for being "stand-up" on this issue, and I am glad that I got a new dash for my 2007 ES350, which has worked out great. But remember, they denied that anything was their fault for many years when this problem first arose (using the same lame line---you must have used some weird cleaner/solvent on the dash to have it break down like that), until basically shamed into it by a myriad of FTC complaints and a Miami TV station that ran an "On Your Side" story. What Lexus corporate is looking at is how much money you spend for overpriced services at their dealerships. If you do not have a good history of that, they will not go to bat for you. So for instance, as a companion to the dashboard, the buttons on one side of my steering wheel for the radio also melted. That was not part of the recall, and Lexus refused to cover it based upon my "non-spend" history at the dealership. When you buy an expensive car such as a Lexus, you should not have parts melting on you if you live in hot weather climates. They should stand by their product, rather than engender ill will by refusing to cover a $10 item such as the steering wheel button.

And by the way, nice GD Fire On The Mountain on the radio in your picture, although personally, will go with an earlier version every time...
Old 01-31-17, 02:43 PM
globetrot
Driver School Candidate

Default Keep on keepin' on

Originally Posted by globetrot
I hope that you do not let this go. Especially if your VIN No. matches those in the recall. Everyone is lauding Lexus for being "stand-up" on this issue, and I am glad that I got a new dash for my 2007 ES350, which has worked out great. But remember, they denied that anything was their fault for many years when this problem first arose (using the same lame line---you must have used some weird cleaner/solvent on the dash to have it break down like that), until basically shamed into it by a myriad of FTC complaints and a Miami TV station that ran an "On Your Side" story. What Lexus corporate is looking at is how much money you spend for overpriced services at their dealerships. If you do not have a good history of that, they will not go to bat for you. So for instance, as a companion to the dashboard, the buttons on one side of my steering wheel for the radio also melted. That was not part of the recall, and Lexus refused to cover it based upon my "non-spend" history at the dealership. When you buy an expensive car such as a Lexus, you should not have parts melting on you if you live in hot weather climates. They should stand by their product, rather than engender ill will by refusing to cover a $10 item such as the steering wheel button.

And by the way, nice GD Fire On The Mountain on the radio in your picture, although personally, will go with an earlier version every time...
Sorry, did not mean to include the whole of your post if this is what happened...
Old 02-01-17, 04:22 AM
codejd
Pit Crew

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by globetrot

The picture was taken on 12/27/16...reliving memories.

Got a call back from Lexus yesterday who again said they were denying my claim and closing the case. After persisting for a few minutes he agreed to send it on up and told me to expect a call from a supervisor some time today.

It's interesting what you say about the "non-spend" issue though because I have NEVER spent any money at my dealership save for the time my car was in for the gas pedal recall and I was told my battery was failing. Not using my better judgement, I allowed them to replace the battery when I normally would have gone somewhere that would have been much cheaper. When I was in for my last issue with the car (replacing the seat cushions - and everything went to hell in a bucket), the service advisor made two comments; the first being that my car was so old (nearly 9 years) and what did I expect out of such an old car and he also wondered why I didn't come to the dealership for oil changes, alignments, etc.. I explained to him that I have never needed an alignment and I would never come there for an oil change when I can get one done in less than 15 minutes at virtually any independent shop. Hell, it takes them nearly an hour for a complimentary car wash!

I am very upset about this issue and find it hard to believe that with all the problems they are having with dashboards, they wouldn't acknowledge something is amiss here. If there had been no other problems with dashboards in Lexus/Toyota vehicles, I would take this issue on myself but find it oddly coincidental that my only blemish in the whole interior of a 9 year old car corresponds with a known problem throughout Toyota/Lexus vehicles.
Old 02-06-17, 01:42 PM
Stickyness
Driver School Candidate

Will advise to Stop any more cleaning. The more you clean the worst it will becomes. The plastic will drop off totally and at the end you will need to clean off the whole car's plastic. Not one dash but the whole car.
Even after a new replacement , the plastic used is the same. Few years later it will be the same.
Just treat it, for US$50 you can do the whole car yourself.
Old 02-06-17, 01:52 PM
Stickyness
Driver School Candidate

Will seriously advise all the Japanese car owners to stop cleaning the dashboard. The plastic is at a total Melting Condition now. The more you clean the worst it will becomes. Even you get a NEW replacement after a few years the problem will comes back. Plastic technology is only up this level of invention. If you clean the dash with any cleaner, the whole surface will come off. The problem doesn't stays at the dash, the whole car plastic will be the problem. So Don't Clean anymore....
You can only treat it, Just get a DIY product for $50 and you do the whole car yourself. After treatment the surface was as good as new and after treatment maintenance was easy, as you just need to clean it off with a dry cloth. Dust and Dirt free plus UV protected.
It will takes years to get the workshop to replace it, sometimes you can't even it at all. Be practical about it.
Old 02-06-17, 02:33 PM
chbow
Driver

Originally Posted by codejd
The picture was taken on 12/27/16...reliving memories.

Got a call back from Lexus yesterday who again said they were denying my claim and closing the case. After persisting for a few minutes he agreed to send it on up and told me to expect a call from a supervisor some time today.

It's interesting what you say about the "non-spend" issue though because I have NEVER spent any money at my dealership save for the time my car was in for the gas pedal recall and I was told my battery was failing. Not using my better judgement, I allowed them to replace the battery when I normally would have gone somewhere that would have been much cheaper. When I was in for my last issue with the car (replacing the seat cushions - and everything went to hell in a bucket), the service advisor made two comments; the first being that my car was so old (nearly 9 years) and what did I expect out of such an old car and he also wondered why I didn't come to the dealership for oil changes, alignments, etc.. I explained to him that I have never needed an alignment and I would never come there for an oil change when I can get one done in less than 15 minutes at virtually any independent shop. Hell, it takes them nearly an hour for a complimentary car wash!

I am very upset about this issue and find it hard to believe that with all the problems they are having with dashboards, they wouldn't acknowledge something is amiss here. If there had been no other problems with dashboards in Lexus/Toyota vehicles, I would take this issue on myself but find it oddly coincidental that my only blemish in the whole interior of a 9 year old car corresponds with a known problem throughout Toyota/Lexus vehicles.
My dash seems to have the same issue, however between my experience asking about my roof falling apart and hearing other people's experience dealing with falling windows, slipping transmissions, leaking timing cover (mine leaking again after having been repaired by Lexus under warranty) as well as this being a relatively minor issue, I'm not expecting anything. I love my car but I think globetrot is dead on about Lexus' willingness to do the "right thing".
Old 02-06-17, 04:38 PM
bharless
Driver School Candidate

Smile

[QUOTE=bharless;9723506]I called my dealer about 6 months ago and they said they would call when I could get it replaced. I had pretty much given up on it and was going to call and ask what was going on. They called me friday and said my dash parts were here when could I bring it in. I scheduled it monday today and it's in the shop now. I have a newer loaner. It should be done tomorrow. Hope everything works when I get it back.. I think Lexus is really standing tall on free replacement for this[

I did have an issue after it was returned. The navigator was showing that I was about 20 miles from my real location. I took it back they had it for several hours. Found that the antenna for NAV wasn't clipped together fully. They fixed it, and now everything is back to normal.
Old 05-08-17, 10:54 AM
Socal2
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Replacing both dashboard and airbag at the same time

Thanks to this forum, I was made aware that there is a warranty extension until May 2017 for replacing the sticky dashboard, which I didn't pay much attention before. After waiting for a few months, the dealer finally called and I brought my 2007 in for the replacement last Thursday.

It was supposed to be a half day job, but turns out the dashboard was glued to instrument panel because it became so STICKY underneath, in the process they actually broke a small plastic panel that needs to be replaced later on. Meanwhile another customer didn't show up for airbag replacement and they installed it on mine, so it took a day and a half for completing both jobs.

The new dashboard material is different and I don't think it will get sticky again.....hopefully. Getting a brand new dashboard after 10+ years and finally replacing passenger airbag, that made me feel good being a Lexus customer again.
Old 05-09-17, 08:00 AM
Blueshark
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I clean with aero 303 for the longest time on my dash, it is ok ? No damages are done yet on my car, it s 2008, but i notice it is brittle on same areas.
Old 05-09-17, 10:32 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,522 Likes on 1,820 Posts

303 won't hurt anything. Excellent product.
Old 05-11-17, 06:15 AM
cm18cam
Driver School Candidate

Just got my dash replaced on my 2008. It looks nice, but the only difference between the old one and this one is that the vents

, and switches etc. are not the same color black as the dashboard like they were before. Is this something anyone else has noticed with their new dashes>
Old 05-11-17, 09:31 AM
Socal2
Driver School Candidate

There are supposed to be different colors (don't know how many) of dashboard depending on exterior color. Mine is dark gray on Moon Shell Mica. Are you sure the original dashboard is true black? If so the dealer may have put on the wrong color dashboard in your car.
Old 05-11-17, 09:46 AM
cm18cam
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Socal2
There are supposed to be different colors (don't know how many) of dashboard depending on exterior color. Mine is dark gray on Moon Shell Mica. Are you sure the original dashboard is true black? If so the dealer may have put on the wrong color dashboard in your car.
that was my initial reaction as well so I called my dealer who insured me that the color was correct but never the less is a different shade of black. My dealer stated that the replacements are only being made in one color, which I thought was weird. They said the black may vary alittle in shades based on when it was made. Not sure if this sounds right or not but the whole thing kinda bothers me since this is a new dashboard and it took 6 months to get it made
Old 05-11-17, 09:54 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,522 Likes on 1,820 Posts

Being made in one color? Not likely. What about people who have the parchment interior, are they going to accept a black dash? No.
Old 05-11-17, 10:29 AM
Socal2
Driver School Candidate

When I first requested dashboard replacement, the dealer told me that my color only had 9 people on waiting list, while the other list (which I assume is black) is much longer. You may want to try another dealer and ask how many colors of dashboard do they have for replacement.

Quick Reply: sticky melting dash