ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Strange Noise When Opening Door

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-11, 03:02 PM
bhaubold
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Strange Noise When Opening Door

Our 09 ES 350 has developed an odd habit. After shutting the engine off, when the drivers door is opened, I hear a noise that sounds as if it's coming from the steering wheel or front of the door. It almost sounds like an electric motor running for maybe half a second. I've noticed this before but lately it seems to be getting louder. It's not the steering wheel tilt system as this happens only after you shut the engine off and open the drivers door.

Any comments?
Old 11-29-11, 06:45 PM
MadMax96
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bhaubold
Our 09 ES 350 has developed an odd habit. After shutting the engine off, when the drivers door is opened, I hear a noise that sounds as if it's coming from the steering wheel or front of the door. It almost sounds like an electric motor running for maybe half a second. I've noticed this before but lately it seems to be getting louder. It's not the steering wheel tilt system as this happens only after you shut the engine off and open the drivers door.

Any comments?
My 2007 did this every time - the 2008 does it too, but it's quieter. Both of my ES350s were purchased used so I have no idea if it was ever quiet.

I have had 2011 loaners before and they made the noise, but it was definitely quieter - it was noticable only because I was expecting to hear something since I was used to it. I'm guessing it's normal... but if you're still under warranty it couldn't hurt to see if anything can be done.

The only problem I have now is that my steering wheel makes a noticably loud groan when telescoping in or out. The dealer tried lubricating it but it only slightly helped for about a day. To me it isn't worth a special trip so I'm going to have them check it out again at my next oil change.
Old 11-30-11, 07:47 AM
MDames2
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bhaubold

Any comments?
If it's the same noise I hear every time I shut off the engine and open the door, then it's the noise of the mechanism that locks your steering wheel. This is normal. If you shut off the engine and don't open the door, it won't happen, and the steering wheel won't lock in place. As soon as you open the door, the noise occurs and the wheel locks. If this is what you're referring to, it's supposed to work that way. Nothing is wrong.
Old 11-30-11, 09:47 AM
bhaubold
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, you're right about the steering wheel lock. We determined that this morning. The function is normal but the sound is much louder than it used to be. Wondering if it needs to be lubed or maybe its' starting to go bad? Guess I'll check with the dealer. I'm sure they will say it's normal.

Thanks for your replys,