ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

ES350- Check VSC, Check Engine - Engine Stalled!

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-11, 08:18 PM
kalki2020
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ES350- Check VSC, Check Engine - Engine Stalled!

My 2008 ES350 with 25k miles still under original factory warranty failed with these 4 indicators on the dashboard “CHECK VSC”, check engine light, traction light and an exclamation. It is only 3 months into the ownership of this car.
Long story short..
When I started the car last week, I had these indicators show up.. I called the dealer service dept right away.. the so-called technical receptionist suggested I open and close the gas cap and drive it for couple of days and I should be fine she said. I did open & close (tightened as much as I could), drove for 5 Mins.. still the messages on the dashboard.. I called the dealer right then and took an appointment for Saturday (which was 2 days later).
The second day, it was Saturday and I was on my way to the dealership, which was 50m away, it was about 8-10 Mins in driving and the engine temperature indicator on the dashboard did not move at all!! unusual.. in the meantime engine’s sound became slightly louder and smoke started coming from the tail pipe and we smelled something burning.
I started to get into the right lane and engine then stopped, the car still had some momentum which let me move onto the shoulder.. I was on a major highway while this happened.
I then called the dealership and told the whole story, the same receptionist again suggested I call the towing and tow get it towed if didn’t start!! I called Lexus roadside and got it towed for free. And I tried starting it just to see what would happen.. and it wouldn’t start.
Now, at the dealership! I explained the whole story one more time to a technical guy, he understood everything and said it could take at least 2weeks to get this car to normal and thought it may need a new engine. It was time for the service guy to write up the case and I had to go over the whole story again with this guy.. this guy seemed smarter.. and he right away said that it was water pump issue and said that it was a known issue!! and can be fixed in 1-2 days. He then said I was not going to a loaner as my case not planned (he didn’t realize I had an appointment). After being there for couple hours.. this guy going back and forth.. thought I deserved a loner.
I called them back on Tuesday and spoke with the person handling my case.. he said they were still ordering parts and said they were going to rebuild the motor with new pistons etc.. and he said it could take longer than 2 weeks because of the parts short supply from Japan.

Now.. after the loooong story.. my questions are.. what could have happened to my car? It had only 25k miles on it.. How would the engine perform with these band-aids and how about the re-sale value of the car.. or how about the warranty! The car will be 5/50,000 in Feb 2012.

Any input or expertise on this situation would give me some peace of mind. Thanks in advance.
Old 07-23-11, 04:07 PM
racingt
Rookie

I would ask for a new motor, not a rebuild job. You're the owner, put your foot down and demand what you want.

I have 38k on my '08 ES and have not had any problems. I'll keep your issue in mind if my warning lights go crazy.

Best of luck with your case.
Old 07-25-11, 10:37 AM
kalki2020
Driver School Candidate

Thanks racingt, I just had a conversation with the service and he said I would get a new motor.
On a side note, these service guys (non-technical record keepers/liasons) are a pain in the neck to deal with.

Originally Posted by racingt
I would ask for a new motor, not a rebuild job. You're the owner, put your foot down and demand what you want.

I have 38k on my '08 ES and have not had any problems. I'll keep your issue in mind if my warning lights go crazy.

Best of luck with your case.
Old 07-27-11, 02:36 PM
lamikela1
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

You need to get a full diagnostics report (demand it) from them as what they told you does not seem to match the symptoms that you described. If the water pump went bad the the temp guage would have shown that but it would not affect the VSC and you should have seen a leak or some water vapor escaping from under the hood. This may actually be the oil line issue that the ES's are subject to.

Be sure that they do all the pending TSB's that are needed on your ES.
Old 07-27-11, 03:26 PM
Skynet27
Driver School Candidate

The VSC, Trac and master warning light (red !) comes on when there is a code for certain powertrain components. The first person should have told you to bring it right to the shop not tighten the gas cap and keep driving it. Your also entitled to a loaner car so don't let them BS you on that. The water pumps aren't really a known issue but a few have gone bad. Did you just have the oil changed or anything like that? Also they wont perform every TSIB that applys to the VIN that's only if there is an issue. They will do any recalls or SSC's though.
Old 07-28-11, 11:12 AM
kalki2020
Driver School Candidate

Yes, I did get my oil change done @ the same dealer.. not long ago on 6/4 @ 24791miles.

I called the service manager and asked for a diagnostic report, and he said, I would get it with the workorder when done. Since they have not started to work on it.. they can't really say what caused the issue at this time.
And to answer "lamikela1", I definitely had smoke coming out from the exhaust.. I could smell some burning smell (as if a belt got overheated and melted/burnt) and I am not 100% positive.. but there was some water vapor or some kind of fumes coming out from the hood... I was more worried about my kids (2 & 6 & wife) in the car than the car that time.. after pulling over, we tried staying away from the car for little while.. waited for it settle down.

They are replacing short block, cyclinder, pistons and crank shaft etc.. he said it really fast.. couldn't get all the pieces of the puzzle.
Old 07-28-11, 02:13 PM
lamikela1
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Ok, then it had to be overheating but I still don't understand the VSC and Trac thing. I am sure the master warning would have come on though. Based on what they will be replacing the engine was fried due to the high temperatures.
Old 08-17-11, 08:48 AM
kalki2020
Driver School Candidate

Finally.. I got my car back with a so-called new engine.. It's about a week now.. I am happy that is peforming well so far.. so no complaints.

The following is reported on my car's service history:
Replaced The Short Block ,Water Pump, Cylinder Heads.
Radiator Assembly.
Replaced The Lower Ball Joint In The Steering Shaft.

I did not get any other informative details from the service personnel.. and I am really fed-up with this dealership's service. They didn't call me for the service feedback too.. they probably know how they performed (didn't want to give out the details or whine on a public forum).

No offence.. but.. Until now, I used to believe in the myth that the best mechanic's worked at dealers service department's.
Old 08-19-11, 07:46 AM
JamesT71
Driver School Candidate

I had a very similar experience a week ago. Check my posting "Check Air Conditioner, VSC and extended warranty". Mine is a 2007 ES350 with 85k miles on it and have extended warranty. It turned out the water pump leaked and that caused the drain out of the coolant. Consequently, the car overheated but the temperature gauge was showing C. I was also getting VSC sign.

Lexus has denied my claim and I am fighting this battle with them. I have disputed their decision and waiting to hear from the Agreement Administrator.

I see you live in DE. I went to the Koons dealership in Wilmington DE. Which dealership did you go to?
Old 08-19-11, 01:20 PM
kalki2020
Driver School Candidate

I had the exact same issue.. but my car was/is still under original manufacturer's warranty.. and the service personnel had advised me to drive it.. with all the indicators on!
Yes, it was koons!

Originally Posted by JamesT71
I had a very similar experience a week ago. Check my posting "Check Air Conditioner, VSC and extended warranty". Mine is a 2007 ES350 with 85k miles on it and have extended warranty. It turned out the water pump leaked and that caused the drain out of the coolant. Consequently, the car overheated but the temperature gauge was showing C. I was also getting VSC sign.

Lexus has denied my claim and I am fighting this battle with them. I have disputed their decision and waiting to hear from the Agreement Administrator.

I see you live in DE. I went to the Koons dealership in Wilmington DE. Which dealership did you go to?
Old 11-04-12, 09:25 AM
subba817
Driver School Candidate

Default ES 350 , 2007 Engine toasted suddenly without any warning

Originally Posted by kalki2020
My 2008 ES350 with 25k miles still under original factory warranty failed with these 4 indicators on the dashboard “CHECK VSC”, check engine light, traction light and an exclamation. It is only 3 months into the ownership of this car.
Long story short..
When I started the car last week, I had these indicators show up.. I called the dealer service dept right away.. the so-called technical receptionist suggested I open and close the gas cap and drive it for couple of days and I should be fine she said. I did open & close (tightened as much as I could), drove for 5 Mins.. still the messages on the dashboard.. I called the dealer right then and took an appointment for Saturday (which was 2 days later).
The second day, it was Saturday and I was on my way to the dealership, which was 50m away, it was about 8-10 Mins in driving and the engine temperature indicator on the dashboard did not move at all!! unusual.. in the meantime engine’s sound became slightly louder and smoke started coming from the tail pipe and we smelled something burning.
I started to get into the right lane and engine then stopped, the car still had some momentum which let me move onto the shoulder.. I was on a major highway while this happened.
I then called the dealership and told the whole story, the same receptionist again suggested I call the towing and tow get it towed if didn’t start!! I called Lexus roadside and got it towed for free. And I tried starting it just to see what would happen.. and it wouldn’t start.
Now, at the dealership! I explained the whole story one more time to a technical guy, he understood everything and said it could take at least 2weeks to get this car to normal and thought it may need a new engine. It was time for the service guy to write up the case and I had to go over the whole story again with this guy.. this guy seemed smarter.. and he right away said that it was water pump issue and said that it was a known issue!! and can be fixed in 1-2 days. He then said I was not going to a loaner as my case not planned (he didn’t realize I had an appointment). After being there for couple hours.. this guy going back and forth.. thought I deserved a loner.
I called them back on Tuesday and spoke with the person handling my case.. he said they were still ordering parts and said they were going to rebuild the motor with new pistons etc.. and he said it could take longer than 2 weeks because of the parts short supply from Japan.

Now.. after the loooong story.. my questions are.. what could have happened to my car? It had only 25k miles on it.. How would the engine perform with these band-aids and how about the re-sale value of the car.. or how about the warranty! The car will be 5/50,000 in Feb 2012.

Any input or expertise on this situation would give me some peace of mind. Thanks in advance.
Engine Stalled on Highway while driving without any warnig indicators, Now the dealer says engine tasted, need to rebuild the engine. Costs arm and leg to fix, not known exact cost. Mileage is 87k. On the same day mornig had state inspection Passed and 23 point check passed. What are my options to pursue this situation ? Thanks
Old 11-04-12, 12:58 PM
oldgrump
Pole Position

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

What did the dealer tell you was the root cause if the "toasted engine"? No lights or messages at all?
Old 11-07-12, 07:11 PM
subba817
Driver School Candidate

Water-pump leaking for some time, as per OBD diagnostics results Engine heads are warped due to overheat, no compression . Engine stopped suddenly on Hwy in a construction zone while driving, brakes were not working, came to stop on it's own, last few seconds was in terrific situation.
Old 11-07-12, 07:56 PM
oldgrump
Pole Position

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Yikes.......this is about the third or fourth coolant pump seal leak that has resulted in a fried engine, just on this forum alone. I'm repeating myself but I urge everyone to periodically check the coolant level on their car, particularly if they even get a small whiff of the smell of coolant at any time. "Periodic" checking of the fluids is also the responsibility of the owner (as far as Lexus is concerned, and it's stated in your Owner's Manual). Unlike most cars the ES 350 has no low coolant level sensor and no warning light or specific warning message for low coolant level. A major bonehead move by Toyota/Lexus, in my opinion. Even my '05 Ford Focus has a low coolant level warning sensor in the coolant tank and an associated light and if the engine actually starts to overheat (if you ignore the temp gauge in the red) the PCM will put the engine into "air cooled' mode, and if you still carry on driving (with next to nothing power) then the PCM will shortly after that, shutdown the engine.
Old 11-09-12, 01:56 PM
jbalian
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I own an ES350 2007 and after reading this post, I checked my coolant and it was empty! not empty as in low but as in it was so empty that it was dried out! I filled it up yesterday night and went to the dealer this morning, they couldn't find anything :S My cars warranty expires on the 20th of this month, what should I do?

My engine didn't overheat and I didn't notice anything wrong with the car, no engine light or anything, I simply checked after reading this thread!

Quick Reply: ES350- Check VSC, Check Engine - Engine Stalled!