ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

NAV- Unable to browse Phone contacts while driving

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-11, 08:11 AM
kvsub
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NAV- Unable to browse Phone contacts while driving

I know there are couple of separate threads related to How to break NAV so that most of the features can be utilized like music folders/phone book contacts/typing new directions in NAV etc.

This is way i see this limitation. I am trying to understand what is the thinking behind this from Lexus point of view?

Music folders - Cannot be scrolled up/down in NAV. I can use the "track" switch (hard button below NAV) to scroll one page at a time. So i can live with this.

Phone book contacts - This is where i have a big problem. While i am driving, say i need to call someone by selecting a name in phone book from NAV. The menu is greyed out. It is more dangerous now since i have to play with my phone now.. What is Lexus thinking here?

In short how everyone has fixed this issue? Going to out of market guy and change the setting (cable connection etc) inside NAV electronics. If i do that, am i risking myself with Lexus warranty terms etc with dealers?
Old 04-06-11, 04:05 PM
alexulan
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

In short yes this would void the warranty on the nav unit
Old 04-07-11, 09:57 AM
dreyfus

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm not so certain it would void the warranty on the nav unit.

If you have a loose connection in the wiring harness leading to the nav unit will that void the warranty on the nav unit? No. Will it damage the nav unit in any way? Not according to the logic behind interrupting the signal. This has been borne out by hundreds of thousands of worry-free miles with those who've used the physical change. Now if you purposely interrupt the signal, does that make a difference?

So far as I know, Lexus would have to show the failure of the nav unit was related to the change you made (which is outside the nav unit) to deny a warranty fix. So something like the screen going out, which has no relation to the speed signal, should still be covered.

It's like modifying the suspension and claiming that's the reason your A/C went out. The mod has to contribute to the failure, and I don't see any means by which preventing the speed signal from reaching the nav unit would damage it.

However, it definitely is a gray area when compared to just leaving your system as is. If the dealer wanted to play hard ball you could end up with a fight on your hands.

If you aren't comfortable with the change, just leave it and you'll feel better.

As for me, I can't live with the stupid lockouts and have enjoyed this car so much more over the last 4 3/4 years without them.
Old 04-08-11, 04:45 PM
jerfitz
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

kvsub,

To fix your Music Folders and Phone Book contacts you probably have to do this fix. This is probably the most complete and best detailed description of a modification ever posted on the Lexus ES 350 forum.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/2557349-post1.html

JerFitz

Last edited by jerfitz; 04-08-11 at 04:51 PM.