ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Paint Job

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-11, 07:38 PM
Humaira
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Paint Job

On the net I saw a law firm soliciting clients for a class action lawsuit against Lexus for the poor quality of the ES 350's paint job. Does anyone know anything about it? Has anyone from this forum joined the lawsuit?

08 Sapphire Black
Old 01-28-11, 04:25 AM
Jimbo68
Rookie

Ah yes, the old class action lawsuit dodge. This is where the litigants get pennies on the dollar awarded and the lawyers walk off with 30% to 50% of the award. Sounds like a hungry out of work law firm.
Old 01-28-11, 06:52 PM
Tazzman
Driver School Candidate

Would be interested to see this, To date I have not seen a Lexus bad paint job..small blem yes.., I have seen people who have gotton a bad paint job on there lexus, but not BY Lexus.
Old 01-28-11, 06:52 PM
Tazzman
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Jimbo68
Ah yes, the old class action lawsuit dodge. This is where the litigants get pennies on the dollar awarded and the lawyers walk off with 30% to 50% of the award. Sounds like a hungry out of work law firm.
Agreed...
Old 01-28-11, 08:27 PM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I doubt they will pull it off. My detailer, Swissvax, specializes in high end vehicles. They even make $4000 jars of wax custom blended for Bugatti owners. And the guy at Swissvax who works on my car says that Lexus have the best paint of any car brand they worked on.
Old 01-29-11, 07:39 AM
EJC
Instructor

Received 87 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by *Batman*
I doubt they will pull it off. My detailer, Swissvax, specializes in high end vehicles. They even make $4000 jars of wax custom blended for Bugatti owners. And the guy at Swissvax who works on my car says that Lexus have the best paint of any car brand they worked on.
I've driven Lexus since '91 - a total of 9 - and never had a paint problem with the factory paint. I always thought it was the best paint job on the market
Old 01-30-11, 06:00 AM
Macklin
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Tazzman
Would be interested to see this, To date I have not seen a Lexus bad paint job..small blem yes.., I have seen people who have gotton a bad paint job on there lexus, but not BY Lexus.
Come look at mine. The front end looks like swiss cheese. It's not the result of a bad paint job. It's the result of bad paint...soft paint actually.

And it's been complained about in this forum since near day one of the ES350!

Sign me up
Old 01-30-11, 08:11 AM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Macklin
Come look at mine. The front end looks like swiss cheese. It's not the result of a bad paint job. It's the result of bad paint...soft paint actually.

Sign me up
The softness varies depending on the color. We have a Matador Red ES350 and the paint is actually very hard wearing. We machine wash that car all the time and it still looks like new.

The Black paint and other dark colours are notorious for having a very soft clearcoat. The soft paint is one of the things that detailers like. It means the paint responds extremely well to quality polishes and waxes.

It doesn't mean the paint is bad, but it does have to be well maintained. If you have a black lexus and you use machine car washes or sloppy high volume hand washes a lot, it will look terrible.

The good news is it can easily be fixed because of how well the paint responds to polish and wax. See this.

http://www.autopia.org/forum/pro-det...xus-es350.html

http://www.autopia.org/forum/click-b...surrected.html

If you don't want this hastle, buy a different color. Or buy another car. Infiniti has a scratch proof clearcoat which uses a gel like clearcoat which automatically smooths itself out. Mercedes has a very hard clearcoat which is also supposed to be scratch proof (however because it is hard it is also more prone to chipping).
Old 02-25-11, 10:29 PM
cygator
Driver School Candidate

Default Soft paint

Originally Posted by Macklin

Sign me up
I agree. My 09 silver paint is not what I think of when I think of Lexus
Old 02-26-11, 06:13 AM
Timothyj
Pole Position

My dark blue 04 paint is bad. Front bumper and hood full of chips. Bought a bra to cover it up.
Old 02-26-11, 11:34 AM
retired
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have an 07 black es350..The paint is very soft and has many chips..The black paint from the factory is just toooooooooo soft......I recommend staying away from BLACK...I only hand wash and use a good quality wax........From this car looks great from a distance...........
Old 02-26-11, 12:11 PM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by retired
I have an 07 black es350..The paint is very soft and has many chips..The black paint from the factory is just toooooooooo soft......I recommend staying away from BLACK...I only hand wash and use a good quality wax........From this car looks great from a distance...........
Sorry but I really think you are abusing your paint. You are using unclean microfibers, or pressing to hard against the paint when you dry/polish it.

Look at my paint. Also Black Lexus Obsidian, 2008 which is about same age as yours. It looks flawless. And I do urban driving, go past a construction site every day. No chips, no scratches, just a mirror finish.

Old 02-26-11, 05:04 PM
eyezack87
Camry ConeKiller

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't tailgate or follow trucks guys. Paint is paint, it'll chip. Even metal can chip/dent at the speeds we go at
Old 02-26-11, 05:33 PM
Tazzman
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by eyezack87
Don't tailgate or follow trucks guys. Paint is paint, it'll chip. Even metal can chip/dent at the speeds we go at
Exactly!
Old 02-26-11, 06:16 PM
nevernu
Instructor

Received 112 Likes on 100 Posts

That's a sweet car

[QUOTE=*Batman*;6178931]....Look at my paint. Also Black Lexus Obsidian, 2008 which is about same age as yours. It looks flawless. ....
QUOTE]

Quick Reply: Paint Job