ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Paid off

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-10, 11:46 AM
safford197
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Paid off

I just paid off my 2007 ES350 today, wired the final pay off amount this morning. I'm still so pleased with the car and am excited that I'll get some use out of a car that's paid for (first time for me).

It got me to wondering how many ES350 owners out there have no car note and what's the consensus on keeping the car for years to come? I know Toyota power trains have an excellent track record but I also know the '07 model year for ES350 was problematic, i.e. transmission flair (although I didn't have any problems so far) Any thoughts?
Old 10-07-10, 01:02 PM
EJC
Instructor

Received 87 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by safford197
I just paid off my 2007 ES350 today, wired the final pay off amount this morning. I'm still so pleased with the car and am excited that I'll get some use out of a car that's paid for (first time for me).

It got me to wondering how many ES350 owners out there have no car note and what's the consensus on keeping the car for years to come? I know Toyota power trains have an excellent track record but I also know the '07 model year for ES350 was problematic, i.e. transmission flair (although I didn't have any problems so far) Any thoughts?
If it makes you feel better.

My mother is driving my wife's old '94 ES300 in Florida, she just sold her '07 Taurus and decided to keep the Lexus instead.

Last March we traded in my Wife's '02 ES300 for a '10 ES350. We'd still be in the '02 if it wasn't for a deal that was too good to pass up.

Feel better now?
You should be able to plan on 8-10 years no sweat.
Old 10-07-10, 01:23 PM
tardorange
Driver

I have a 07 as my DD and I am satisfied with the car thus far. Some quirks with the car so far, HID bulbs failing early, terrible quality interior items, and the keyless system is stupid.

It may be a Toyota drivetrain but maintenance on this car is more expensive then my BMW's. Oil changes cost me $88 and thats non-synthetic, it costs me only $110 for my BMWs which is synthetic.

The ES is the DD and grocery getter I have also given up on trying to get the paint to shine (smokey granite mica sucks!).
Old 10-07-10, 02:15 PM
jagtoes
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 52 Posts

I guess I'm surprised that people take out a loan to buy a car. I bought my 08 with cash and traded and paid cash for my 2010. I think I did take out a loan back in 1964 to buy my 63 Corvette but that was the last time.
Old 10-07-10, 02:29 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

I paid cash (less trade in) on my '07 as well as the '10. Same thing on the previous couple of cars before them.
Old 10-07-10, 02:33 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by safford197

I've paid off a few cars in my time....it's a wonderful feeling knowing its all yours. Then I do something stupid like sell or trade them in. Just stupid. I should have a stable of cars with all the ones I've paid off.
Old 10-08-10, 07:27 PM
miniz
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I pay off my cars the day I take delivery. Its called buying used and living within your means. I have never had a car payment in my life. If I can't afford to pay it off at delivery, I can't afford the car. Fairly simple.
Old 10-08-10, 07:29 PM
dreyfus

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Congratulations on owning your ride free and clear. Now is where you really save some money. The Toyota quality (flaws notwithstanding) should serve you well. I've kept all my Toyota's for over 200,000 miles and intend to do the same with this, my first Lexus.
Old 10-09-10, 02:58 AM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by miniz
I pay off my cars the day I take delivery. Its called buying used and living within your means. I have never had a car payment in my life. If I can't afford to pay it off at delivery, I can't afford the car. Fairly simple.
The way you said this sounds like rubbing it in everyone's noses....like some superiority complex.
It's great that you have done it the right way.....but you could have made your statement with some humility.
Most of us are stupid car nutz who keep buying cars even when we don't need another....without saving for it.
Old 10-09-10, 06:35 AM
jkutti2000
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tardorange
I have a 07 as my DD and I am satisfied with the car thus far. Some quirks with the car so far, HID bulbs failing early, terrible quality interior items, and the keyless system is stupid.

It may be a Toyota drivetrain but maintenance on this car is more expensive then my BMW's. Oil changes cost me $88 and thats non-synthetic, it costs me only $110 for my BMWs which is synthetic.

The ES is the DD and grocery getter I have also given up on trying to get the paint to shine (smokey granite mica sucks!).

GOOD POINTS to note.. .so far in my 1 year with my pre owned 07, I am satisfied. if i can extrapolate, I will be keeping this car for a decade.. ha ha.. i put 5K miles a year.. very less driving.

my OIL change costed me 70$ at the lexus dealership. and i assume it was SYNTHETIC.. the INVOICE say . OIL7 BULK OIL.. .. huh. is that SYNTHETIC..
how come it last for 5K miles then.. man.. they screwed me.. I should have got it done at another local dealer where I bring the oil/filter and he charges me 20 bucks, for labor
Old 10-09-10, 06:36 AM
jkutti2000
Pole Position

speaking of OIL CHANGE... do we have a choice . that we can ask for SYNTHETIC.. instead of OIL7 BULK OIL.. I was not offered any upsell at the lexus dealer
Old 10-09-10, 06:48 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by jkutti2000
speaking of OIL CHANGE... do we have a choice . that we can ask for SYNTHETIC.. instead of OIL7 BULK OIL.. I was not offered any upsell at the lexus dealer
You have a choice. You can get either dino or synthetic. Just tell 'em which you want.

Synthetic will cost more....
Old 10-09-10, 09:33 AM
Belmondo
Driver School Candidate

We had something of a windfall in '06, so we bought a 2007 ES350 and paid cash for it. We also paid off our 2004 Tundra. We've had no car payments for 4 years, and that's a good thing; our real estate hasn't turned out to be such a great investment.

The Lexus has 111K miles on it, and I'm hoping it will last another 4 years. The Tundra has around 120K, and still runs perfectly.

Toyota rules.
Old 10-09-10, 09:36 AM
Belmondo
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jkutti2000
I use Mobil 1, and have since the car was new. I buy it at Costco or wherever I can find it, and the dealer installs it for me. He's never complained nor told me I shouldn't be doing it. I can't say it makes a difference for certain, but the car runs as good as it did new. I don't know what it would be otherwise.
Old 10-10-10, 06:05 AM
Macklin
Advanced

Originally Posted by tardorange

Man, you have it rough. Even your oil changes are a rip off!

I'm sorry you think it's stupid never having to take your key out of your pocket.

So what issues are you having with your interior? I just detailed mine yesterday including a much needed conditioning of the leather. I'm very pleased with how well it's holding up after almost 4 1/2 years.

Quick Reply: Paid off