ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Car & Driver Comparo

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-10, 06:02 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts
Default Car & Driver Comparo

In new the issue of C&D they do a comparison of four (in their opinion) similar cars. Here are the final rankings:

1. Genesis 3.6 V6
2. Lexus ES350
3. Buick LaCrosse CXS
4. Ford Taurus Limited

Nothing earth shaking in the reviews, but not a bad read.
Old 05-27-10, 06:08 AM
MadMax96
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I didn't get my C&D yet, but somehow the Ford doesn't seem as it belongs. I know the new Taurus is a really nice car, but I don't consider it a luxury car.

I think the Buick was rated ahead of the Lexus in Road & Track a couple of months ago.

BUT - what I'd like to see is this: Bring back all 4 cars in 3-4 years and see which one is holding up the best. Also chart the depreciation, cost of ownership, etc..
Old 05-27-10, 06:10 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by MadMax96
I didn't get my C&D yet, but somehow the Ford doesn't seem as it belongs. I know the new Taurus is a really nice car, but I don't consider it a luxury car.

I think the Buick was rated ahead of the Lexus in Road & Track a couple of months ago.

BUT - what I'd like to see is this: Bring back all 4 cars in 3-4 years and see which one is holding up the best. Also chart the depreciation, cost of ownership, etc..
Mine came yesterday. One of the negatives mentioned about the Genesis was unknown resale value, or depreciation, something like that.
Old 05-27-10, 08:15 PM
frankbcnt
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The genesis looks nice but i wouldnt ever spend that kinda money on a hyundai. 10 yr warranty that you make 10 trips a year to the dealer for stupid little things. no way. even if it was 20k i wouldnt.

I spend 40k I better not be going to the dealer much. Thus why I chose Lexus.
Old 05-28-10, 03:39 AM
garsarno
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Just sat in a new Taurus Limited at the local dealer showroom floor. No way it should be compared to the ES350. The console seemed too high and surrounded you, making it feel too close. The Genesis is an OK car but to make it more interesting, their 375 hp V8 version would be a better choice. The Lacrosse, I considered but it looks like the ES350 with a steroid shot.
Old 05-28-10, 06:59 AM
LexFather

Good showing by the ES here....
Old 05-28-10, 07:15 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Good showing by the ES here....
Yes, overall, the write up on the ES was very favorable.
Old 05-28-10, 08:49 AM
lextooth
Driver School Candidate

Default car & driver comparo

I would llike to see a road test on the 2010 ES 350 with Michelin Primacy tires compared against the Bridgestone EL 400-2 tires. Refer to Tirerack.com owners surveys and you will see that the Bridgestone EL 400's are second from the botton and the Primacy tires are the top rated tires. I know that the Primacy tires make a huge difference in handling on my 2010 ES 350.
Old 05-28-10, 04:48 PM
EJC
Instructor

Received 87 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by frankbcnt
The genesis looks nice but i wouldnt ever spend that kinda money on a hyundai. 10 yr warranty that you make 10 trips a year to the dealer for stupid little things. no way. even if it was 20k i wouldnt.

I spend 40k I better not be going to the dealer much. Thus why I chose Lexus.
Don't know why you think Hyundai has problems.
I have 2 SantaFes, '05 and '06, both have been dependable with no problems. Certainly not 10 trips a year. Aside from normal maintenance the '05 had an engine sensor go bad which was covered by warranty.
Old 05-28-10, 07:05 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

According to CR 1st year reliability on the Genesis V6 sedan is Above Average. On the V8 it's Average.
Old 05-28-10, 07:39 PM
frankbcnt
Driver

Originally Posted by EJC
Don't know why you think Hyundai has problems.
I have 2 SantaFes, '05 and '06, both have been dependable with no problems. Certainly not 10 trips a year. Aside from normal maintenance the '05 had an engine sensor go bad which was covered by warranty.
because family members and friends have them and everytime i see the car something else is falling apart. its not just one car or model its all of them. accent, elantra, santa fe, sonata, ect...

The drivetrain seems to be ok but stupid little things like visors falling apart, the plastic behind the seat popping off and breaking and misc other platic pieces, the rubber trim on the window seals falling off, the rubber trim on the antenna falling off, the window motors going, the wheels rusting, the paint fading and drying up, ect ect. some things are like within months up to a yr or 2. by 3 yrs the cars look like any other car at 10 yrs old. Not to mention I hope you didnt plan on selling because you might as well drive it to it dies.

They are what they are a cheap car. I wouldnt complain if I bought one cause I know what it is but I wouldnt pay alot of money for it.I just cant believe they are selling for so much now. They have outpriced themselves. People bought hyundai for the price. Now they doubled their prices and left their market thinking they can sell the cars for more money like honda and toyota when there is no comparison in quality. I think they are not smart for doing this. The japanese always sold a good car even when they were "dumping" them at a low price in the 80's. People who bought them ended up knowing they ran forever and DIDNT fall apart. My mom bought her 05 elantra and was at the dealer a month later for stupid things. The only reason why we got it is because I know the motor will run forever because its a mitsubishi 2.0.

Last edited by frankbcnt; 05-28-10 at 07:46 PM.
Old 05-28-10, 07:47 PM
frankbcnt
Driver

Originally Posted by lextooth
I would llike to see a road test on the 2010 ES 350 with Michelin Primacy tires compared against the Bridgestone EL 400-2 tires. Refer to Tirerack.com owners surveys and you will see that the Bridgestone EL 400's are second from the botton and the Primacy tires are the top rated tires. I know that the Primacy tires make a huge difference in handling on my 2010 ES 350.
can u post the url? I have the bridgestone turanza 400-2 and i think they are noisey too.
Old 05-28-10, 09:03 PM
JRey350hou
Intermediate

Received 63 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by frankbcnt
can u post the url? I have the bridgestone turanza 400-2 and i think they are noisey too.
I absolutely requested the Michelins over Bridgestone when I purch mine recently and when time comes will be puttting mich primacy's on..had them on prev Lexus with great success .
Old 05-29-10, 04:40 PM
frankbcnt
Driver

Well my wife had gotten a demo car to drive with michelens on it and she couldnt wait to get her car back with the turanzas on it because they were noisy.

To me the turanzas sound a little noisy. Im thinking of changing to the turanza serenity or premicy. I think I may be able to fit these on my eclipse anyways.
Old 05-31-10, 06:42 PM
LexPaul
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I must say coming from C&D this is a surprise to see them rate the ES above the LaCrosse, (I think they rated it above the ES as was stated above a few months back) they have been in the past some of the harshest critics of anything Lexus, and this especially true of the ES. I consider them a mouthpiece for domestic auto industry. I subscribe to Automobile, but I will pick up a copy for the read. BTW, if they say the resale value of the Genesis is questionable and reliability is average, then IMO that should lower it below the Lexus. Anyway, it is good to know the ES is finally winning over some of its critics.

Quick Reply: Car & Driver Comparo