ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Buy Back offered

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-08, 04:55 PM
sfuad
Pit Crew

Received 39 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Buy Back offered

My one year old ES is now going back as buy back because of transmission issue. I am in market for new car again. Has transmission issue on new ES resolved or not? I like this vehicle other than transmission flare. What really bothered me that every time it flare, it reduces the life of transmission. Don't want to buy again if this is not fixed.

Any input from members with recently purchased / built date vehicles would be appreciated.
Old 04-18-08, 05:01 PM
codex57
Rominl Stalker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They appear to be less common, altho they're still around. I haven't seen mine flair yet (altho it has the cold engine noise in really cold weather). I test drove another 08 a few weeks before I bought mine that had BAD flair problems.
Old 04-19-08, 07:49 AM
NJPaul
Driver School Candidate

I bought my '08 ES350 in November and have not had any problems with it. I love it. I have had a lot of cars in my lifetime but this Lexus is by far the best car that I have ever owned. I think that they have worked out many of the issues that they had with the '07 model.
You may hear some complaints on this board but I think that many of the people who are not having problems don't always answer posts.
Old 04-19-08, 08:42 AM
Rickanns
Driver School Candidate

We also got our 350 last November and have not had any of the dreaded flare problems. Like some, we do have a little valve clatter on cold start ups, but other than that, it has been great. We really do like the car a lot.

Rick
Old 04-19-08, 02:51 PM
twister
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by NJPaul
You may hear some complaints on this board but I think that many of the people who are not having problems don't always answer posts.
Complains are common to '07 models. Some of us were the first to bite the bullet and ended up paying a price for it Although there are some '08 complains, its by FAR less than with '07 models.

As someone who already experienced one of the first '07 ES350 buybacks, I would recommend staying with Lexus family. If you really enjoy your ES350, get '08 and demand a free upgrade to 100k powertrain warranty. Otherwise, GS350 is a great step up
Old 04-19-08, 05:04 PM
mmrfr
Rookie

Default My suggestion

In my opinion you are one lucky guy. I would love to get out of my Es. My suggestion is ti test drive the Lincoln MKZ, I bought my wife one for Christmas, she won't drive it if it isn't American made, and I really have been very pleased. Not a single problem and while I would never tell her, I enjoy driving her car more than mine and I'm in hers at 12k less than mine and hers
has basically the same stuff-nav. heated-cooled seats-top in sound etc. I dont like the sirus but other than that I would pull rank and switch with her.
I never even thought MkZ when I bought but you can bet your booty I will next time. Its not quite as quick but almost and it does handle much better. It tracks much better than the Es and its quieter. No the materials are not as nice but it doesn't rattle and the tranny is much smoother and quicker and even though its black the paint does't chip like my ES. She has 10k on hers and I have 20k on mine but my guess a year from now I will feel the same.Its simply a much better $ for $ value. Surprised at what 31k bought disappointed at what 43k bought-Thats my bottom line.
Old 04-19-08, 05:16 PM
RXSF
Forum Moderator

Received 74 Likes on 45 Posts

there isnt another car in the ES's class. you get 270 horses in a huge 5 seater sedan for 33K base. the only cars that come close is the C300 (weaker and smaller), Acura TL (old and less powerful), 3 series (weaker and smaller), and M35 (more expensive)
Old 04-19-08, 08:12 PM
2007es350
Lead Lap

My 07 es350 was bought back by Lexus. At the time, I was disappointed that the ES was still having transmission problems. My local dealer knew I was interested in a quiet 4 door car and stepped up and offered me an LS460 at a subsidized price that I couldn't refuse. Since moving to the LS, I have no regrets!

You can always ask your dealer to help you out on a GS or LS.
However if you like the ride and roominess of the ES, then the GS is probably not the right car. The only Lexus that is comparable to the target audience of the ES is the LS.
Old 04-20-08, 07:51 AM
MD350
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sfuad
My one year old ES is now going back as buy back because of transmission issue. I am in market for new car again. Has transmission issue on new ES resolved or not? I like this vehicle other than transmission flare. What really bothered me that every time it flare, it reduces the life of transmission. Don't want to buy again if this is not fixed.

Any input from members with recently purchased / built date vehicles would be appreciated.
May I ask how you proceeded in your buyback? Is there a time/mile restriction?
Old 04-22-08, 06:27 PM
G-Lexus
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by RXSF
there isnt another car in the ES's class. you get 270 horses in a huge 5 seater sedan for 33K base. the only cars that come close is the C300 (weaker and smaller), Acura TL (old and less powerful), 3 series (weaker and smaller), and M35 (more expensive)
I was a early 2007 ES350 owner who had to deal with the transmission issue. After going to the re-purchase process I too was in the market for a new car. I waited and test drove the 2008 ES350 which still has the transmission issue. I am now looking at the new 2009 Nissan Maxima which may compare to the ES350:

http://www.nissanusa.com/09maxima/in...mepage.Home.P1

All responds and opinions are welcomed
Old 04-22-08, 11:07 PM
codex57
Rominl Stalker

How much does prestige and the longer warranty matter to you? In spending over $30,000, that stuff matters to me. It's why I'd never be in the market for a VW Phaeton. I'm not spending that much to get the same service and warranty as a VW Rabbit.
Old 04-23-08, 08:41 AM
G-Lexus
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by codex57
How much does prestige and the longer warranty matter to you? In spending over $30,000, that stuff matters to me. It's why I'd never be in the market for a VW Phaeton. I'm not spending that much to get the same service and warranty as a VW Rabbit.
Yes its nice to feel the prestige riding in car with the "Lexus" logo....but some ES350 owners were not feeling the prestige when they were driving their ES and expriencing transmission flares, wind noise and loud engine starts. I for one was feeling "ripped off". The new designed 2009 Nissan Maxima will be at least $8000 - $10,000 cheaper than my prestige ES350.
Old 04-23-08, 10:03 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by G-Lexus
Yes its nice to feel the prestige riding in car with the "Lexus" logo....but some ES350 owners were not feeling the prestige when they were driving their ES and expriencing transmission flares, wind noise and loud engine starts. I for one was feeling "ripped off". The new designed 2009 Nissan Maxima will be at least $8000 - $10,000 cheaper than my prestige ES350.
Keep in mind that the '09 Maxima will be a brand new model, just like the '07 ES350 was...
Old 04-23-08, 04:48 PM
MD350
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

And watch that CVT tranny on the Maxima. I heard some "not so good" things about it.

I think I will get a manual on my next car. Will avoid all tranny shift issues.
Old 04-24-08, 05:43 PM
jgtile
Driver

sfuad, I bought my 08 ES UL in Dec 07. I have had some minor issues with the tranny but nothing major. Wind noise is not an issue but I have had some creaking inside when the weather is cold. Before I bought the ES, I looked at the Cadillac CTS and STS, BMW 5 Series, MB C class, Toyota Avalon, Infiniti M, and Acura TL and RL. Seems like Toyota/Lexus' growth has caused them slips in quality...but not sure you should give up yet. However, if I have major problems as I drive this car (only have 4000 miles), I don't think I would buy a Lexus again either. The key about the ES was the quiet and comfort at a price that was less than all of the other cars I mentioned except the Avalon and TL. I guess I didn't want spend more on an Acura RL than what I could get a Lexus for (I am a first time Lexus owner). Anyway, good luck with your choice.

Quick Reply: Buy Back offered