ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

7.1 Gen 5 DVD disc

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-08, 11:42 AM
amf1932
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 7.1 Gen 5 DVD disc

I saw on eBay a guy selling the upgrade DVD disc for the Gen 5 Nav systems.

Are they bogus or has anybody else tried them.........they cost about ¼ the price of the DVD's that are sold by Lexus parts?
Old 01-04-08, 11:56 AM
MD350
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by amf1932

Are they bogus or has anybody else tried them.........they cost about ¼ the price of the DVD's that are sold by Lexus parts?
You know the saying, "you get what you pay for".

My service advisor told me the same thing and then pointed to a new LS.
Old 01-04-08, 12:54 PM
amf1932
Lexus Champion

That really doesn't answer my question.
Old 01-04-08, 01:13 PM
ES350ULTRA
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They look pretty real to me. The guy has sold others with positive feedback. How does the upgrade work? If the DVD does not have to stay in the car and you can install it on multiple cars then I would say buy it, install it, then resell it on ebay.

What do the new versions get you? I thought it was a free upgrade from the dealership?
Old 01-04-08, 01:33 PM
amf1932
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ES350ULTRA
They look pretty real to me. The guy has sold others with positive feedback. How does the upgrade work? If the DVD does not have to stay in the car and you can install it on multiple cars then I would say buy it, install it, then resell it on ebay.

What do the new versions get you? I thought it was a free upgrade from the dealership?
The DVD mapping software disc has to stay in the car.

They also have a firmware disc that upgrades the nav unit, but that can be removed. They upgraded my firmware free because of a TSB that was issued for the '07 ES.

Lexus did away with free upgrades many moons ago.
Old 01-04-08, 02:29 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

The DVD mapping software disc has to stay in the car.

They also have a firmware disc that upgrades the nav unit, but that can be removed. They upgraded my firmware free because of a TSB that was issued for the '07 ES.

Lexus did away with free upgrades many moons ago.
This is a little off-topic, but how do you upgrade a portable GPS, like your Garmin?
Old 01-04-08, 06:07 PM
amf1932
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by LexBob2
This is a little off-topic, but how do you upgrade a portable GPS, like your Garmin?
You go to Garmins website and find your GPS model. You than click on upgrades or downloads and take it from there. These downloads just updates the units firmware, but if you're looking for the upgraded maps software you have to purchase the discs from them.
You'll get a much better understanding by going to their website......their explanations are much more explicit.
Old 01-04-08, 10:38 PM
350Dave
Lead Lap

amf1932 what did the firmware update fix or upgrade?

I have considered burning a copy of the DVD from a loaner 2008 RX to see if it would at least get rid of my 'I agree' button. I have bit for bit burning software, may try it next time I am in a loaner, has anyone else tried?
Old 01-05-08, 06:53 AM
amf1932
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 350Dave
amf1932 what did the firmware update fix or upgrade?

I have considered burning a copy of the DVD from a loaner 2008 RX to see if it would at least get rid of my 'I agree' button. I have bit for bit burning software, may try it next time I am in a loaner, has anyone else tried?
The reason I did this upgrade was because, on occasion, the indication of my car on the nav screen was showing incorrectly, ie: off the road.
My Lexus service dept. ordered a special disc that was issued for this TSB, but it was the same mapping that I had previously. Since my car was a very early build(4/2006), it came with a version number of 05.0, and after the upgrade it went to 05.1.
That corrected my problem, but I didn't notice that it changed anything else.
I would be hesitant to try what you are contemplating for fear of really screwing up the nav system. I guess I'm chicken in this instance.
Old 01-05-08, 01:15 PM
codex57
Rominl Stalker

Couldn't the eBay guy just be selling burned or reproduced copies of the 7.1 disc? I mean, you just stick these things in a DVD burner and you've got yourself a copy. People are doing it all the time with the hybrid disks. I'm a little surprised more members aren't swapping discs to help make a 5.1/7.1 hybrid disk. Maybe some of the more technologically advanced members could make a hybrid disk and sell it for a small fee? To help out those members who aren't so good at that stuff. Or is that especially frowned upon for some reason?
Old 01-05-08, 03:54 PM
amf1932
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by codex57
Couldn't the eBay guy just be selling burned or reproduced copies of the 7.1 disc? I mean, you just stick these things in a DVD burner and you've got yourself a copy. People are doing it all the time with the hybrid disks. I'm a little surprised more members aren't swapping discs to help make a 5.1/7.1 hybrid disk. Maybe some of the more technologically advanced members could make a hybrid disk and sell it for a small fee? To help out those members who aren't so good at that stuff. Or is that especially frowned upon for some reason?
Now, what don't you understand! It's illegal!!!

Old 01-05-08, 06:05 PM
MD350
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by codex57
Well, it is illegal
Old 01-06-08, 10:59 PM
codex57
Rominl Stalker

Which laws does it violate? The typical "no copying for commercial use" thing you see at the beginning of a DVD?

I'm just asking. You don't gotta bite my head off, Alan. MD350's response was pleasant yet answered my question.

Just trying to figure out how much this site toes the line. I mean, half the tint shown on boards like this is typically illegal cuz they're too dark. No one really cares cuz everyone acknowledges you do it at your own risk. Yet, they'll still freely exchange tips on which is the best place that will do it, opinions on how it looks, etc.

Just trying to get a feel for this board. Sounds like the ES350 section is great for mechanical and dealer issues. Anything aftermarket is totally own your own at at your own risk. By the book. You can do it, but don't expect much help other than a post with some pointers. That kind of thing. Which is totally fine. Just not what I'm used to. Might just be an age thing. I understand I'm younger than the average ES350 owner by 10, 20, or 30+ years. A lot of the modding stuff can be cross referenced for help in the IS and GS sections anyways.
Old 01-07-08, 06:25 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

If you haven't already, you might try some of the Camry forums for more discussion/tips on mods. Might be more owners on them changing up their cars.
Old 01-29-08, 07:06 PM
golfer1952
Driver School Candidate

Default DVD on Ebay

Does anyone know what happen to the site on Ebay to purchase the CD overide?

Quick Reply: 7.1 Gen 5 DVD disc