ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

08 es350 and problems concern

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-07, 11:02 PM
VegasIS300
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have an '08, and I noticed a fair amount of the cold engine clatter while the engine is cold. Sounds like a diesel!
Old 12-29-07, 06:23 AM
garsarno
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

You will be told it is normal for a Lexus. Not present in ANY other vehicle I have ever owned..
Old 12-29-07, 08:46 AM
MD350
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by VegasIS300
I have an '08, and I noticed a fair amount of the cold engine clatter while the engine is cold. Sounds like a diesel!
Yep, a normal characteristic of the 3.5L. The dealer won't do anything about it. Turn up the radio.

I have always called mine an ES350 TDI. Others have called theirs an ES350D
Old 12-29-07, 11:27 AM
VegasIS300
Pole Position

Originally Posted by MD350
Yep, a normal characteristic of the 3.5L. The dealer won't do anything about it. Turn up the radio.

I have always called mine an ES350 TDI. Others have called theirs an ES350D
Haha, funny! Its good that its cold for only a short time here in Vegas!
Old 12-30-07, 12:49 PM
MD350
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by VegasIS300
Haha, funny! Its good that its cold for only a short time here in Vegas!
Yep, here in Maryland it gets as cold as 10 and as warm as 95. In the summer, no engine knock. In the winter, I hear it on every cold start.

But, yeah, some are worse than others. But, if you have driven other Toyota/Lexus products with this engine in the cold, it makes the exact same sound.

The Powertrain warranty is 6 years or 70K miles. I would dump the car by then or buy an extended warranty. This car is NOT a car to own and not have covered by a warranty. Too many issues.
Old 01-02-08, 12:31 PM
Kaius88
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by MD350
Yep, here in Maryland it gets as cold as 10 and as warm as 95. In the summer, no engine knock. In the winter, I hear it on every cold start.

But, yeah, some are worse than others. But, if you have driven other Toyota/Lexus products with this engine in the cold, it makes the exact same sound.

The Powertrain warranty is 6 years or 70K miles. I would dump the car by then or buy an extended warranty. This car is NOT a car to own and not have covered by a warranty. Too many issues.
Interestingly, I just recently noticed this cold engine noise, which sounds like "luh..luh..luh..luh". It has to be cold, and only last 5 minutes driving. I totally think it's normal because cold metal parts are not supposed to sound like warm parts. Last winter, it was not cold enough, so the car did not make that sound at all. I park the car inside my garage, which is 10 degrees warmer than outside. Maybe that's why I haven't discovered the sound until recently. It's no biggee...it's not even that loud. I hardly consider this a complainable issue.
Old 01-02-08, 10:25 PM
350Dave
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Kaius88
Interestingly, I just recently noticed this cold engine noise, which sounds like "luh..luh..luh..luh". It has to be cold, and only last 5 minutes driving. I totally think it's normal because cold metal parts are not supposed to sound like warm parts. Last winter, it was not cold enough, so the car did not make that sound at all. I park the car inside my garage, which is 10 degrees warmer than outside. Maybe that's why I haven't discovered the sound until recently. It's no biggee...it's not even that loud. I hardly consider this a complainable issue.
I agree I do not consider it a problem
Old 01-03-08, 06:35 AM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 350Dave

A Lexus newbie might not complain about it, but anyone having owned several prior would complain about it and not want to have to listen to it several times a day when cranking, then driving the car cold. For that matter anyone owning a car prior without a valve/engine issue would bring it up to service, many have only to be turned away and told it is normal.

The service manager was right when he diagnosed mine as a valve lash defect and outlined the repair process, BUT also said "you know I can sell these all day long out on the lot as is"... some people just don't care if their entry level luxury vehicle sounds like a diesel they can hear inside the cabin of the vehicle.
Old 01-03-08, 07:43 AM
MD350
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 350Dave
Not a problem, but unacceptable on a luxury car....yet alone a Lexus product.
Old 01-03-08, 02:21 PM
codex57
Rominl Stalker

If it's not a diesel, then I consider it unacceptable. And not just on a luxury car. If it's not some diesel engine, then it shouldn't sound like one. If I'm not getting any of diesel's benefits (the gas mileage), then I don't want its disadvantages.
Old 01-03-08, 02:22 PM
Kaius88
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ES350Bob
A Lexus newbie might not complain about it, but anyone having owned several prior would complain about it and not want to have to listen to it several times a day when cranking, then driving the car cold. For that matter anyone owning a car prior without a valve/engine issue would bring it up to service, many have only to be turned away and told it is normal.

The service manager was right when he diagnosed mine as a valve lash defect and outlined the repair process, BUT also said "you know I can sell these all day long out on the lot as is"... some people just don't care if their entry level luxury vehicle sounds like a diesel they can hear inside the cabin of the vehicle.
I guess I am a Lexus newbie. I cant complain about it if it doesn't bother me. It's not loud, and it doesn't affect performance or safety. I mean, this is a new and improved engine. It's a trade off.....You get more power and fuel efficiency in exchange for a little noise. Sounds fair. I'm not trying to excuse Lexus for lack of customer service, but this is really not a big deal. In comparison, other luxury brands have worse problem than this.
Old 01-03-08, 05:16 PM
MD350
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Kaius88
I guess I am a Lexus newbie. I cant complain about it if it doesn't bother me. It's not loud, and it doesn't affect performance or safety. I mean, this is a new and improved engine. It's a trade off.....You get more power and fuel efficiency in exchange for a little noise. Sounds fair. I'm not trying to excuse Lexus for lack of customer service, but this is really not a big deal. In comparison, other luxury brands have worse problem than this.
I think some cars are worse than others when it comes to the noise. As I have said in other posts, mine is so bad, my wife comments on it and she knows nothing about cars. She asks me time and time again, "what is wrong with your car?".
Old 01-03-08, 10:25 PM
NGG
Pole Position

Default ES350 Lemon

Had my IS 350 in for service today. Guess what my loaner was? The same ES 350 I traded back to the dealer because of all the "lemon" problems. What a POS!It rattled worse than when I had it. Wind noise atrocious. Vibrating steering wheel. The whole car felt loose and inferior. Has not aged well. Glad it was not mine any longer. Really feel for those who still have to put up with this less than stellar Lexus example. Still amazes me that Lexus has not owned up to this failure. Sad. Sad!
Old 01-03-08, 11:14 PM
amf1932
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by NGG
Had my IS 350 in for service today. Guess what my loaner was? The same ES 350 I traded back to the dealer because of all the "lemon" problems. What a POS!It rattled worse than when I had it. Wind noise atrocious. Vibrating steering wheel. The whole car felt loose and inferior. Has not aged well. Glad it was not mine any longer. Really feel for those who still have to put up with this less than stellar Lexus example. Still amazes me that Lexus has not owned up to this failure. Sad. Sad!
It totally amazes me that "some" members have all these problems......even in the '08 ES350's. I guess I should feel very lucky since I was one of the first owners of the '07 ES......build date of 4/2006, that only had 1 very slight wind noise that I corrected myself, by moving the rubber insulation slightly.
As far as the other problems: transmission flare...non existent, noisy engine...NEVER!.......whether the outside temperature is zero, or 100 degrees Fahrenheit......always quiet as a mouse. No vibrating steering wheel or rattles at any speed......up to about 110 mph......the fastest I have ever driven this car.
Ohh...I almost forgot....my NAV position was slightly off, but was corrected by a tire calibration.
What I'm trying to get at is, I'm sure that the majority of owners are just As pleased as me with the performance and quality that was built into this vehicle. I've owned a '91, '94, '03 previously and this car is by far the best!
I love it. If any of you guys don't believe me, you're welcome to come over to my house and drive this car and you'll see what I mean.
Old 01-03-08, 11:25 PM
350Dave
Lead Lap

No 'newbie' here, this is my 3rd ES and I bought each one brand new, and enjoyed each one more than the last, including my current one. So there!

Quick Reply: 08 es350 and problems concern