ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Recommend the es or not?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-07, 08:05 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts
Thumbs down Recommend the es or not?

well, after 7 years with the es, my dad wants a new car. im trying to get him to get the new es but after wat he saw on the es 350 forums, hes not rly sure. are the problems ppl facing here rly that bad and if they are, does everyone have them? cause it seems every other forum on the es 350 is complaining about the transmission, or the rattles, or a diesel sounding start in the cold. so im just curiuos, would u recomend the es, or do u think it will just make us rethink buying another lexus
Old 07-28-07, 08:21 PM
mmrfr
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Run Dont Walk Away

If you love your dad talk him into another direction. This ES350 is the most disapointing new car purchase I have ever made!!!!At the 40k range you have much better choices that will provide less frustrations.
Old 07-28-07, 08:44 PM
BadViper22
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by mmrfr
If you love your dad talk him into another direction. This ES350 is the most disapointing new car purchase I have ever made!!!!At the 40k range you have much better choices that will provide less frustrations.
Sounds kinda harsh, Ive never driven a 350, but after 15 years, my es is still kickin. Could the value of ES's really just drop like that?
Old 07-28-07, 09:11 PM
Rollin'ES3
Lexus Test Driver

Well I understand why your dad is strongly urging a change in vehicles. After seeing the problems with the current ES350, such as the trans flare, and the dieseling sound. (I don't know if any other problems consist). Also a lot of the current ES350 owners giving us their honest feedback which tells us that this isn't one of the better products from Lexus. I personally love the look of the ES350, the power, interior and all. But hearing these stories and problems would even push me away from purchasing the ES350. I would strongly suggest your dad does not leave the Lexus family just because of the ES350's feedback, as Lexus has a lot of other vehicles. I would recommend the possibility of purchasing maybe a gs430, or perhaps a certified pre-owned LS430 at around the same price or slightly higher. Just an idea.
Old 07-28-07, 09:22 PM
PsychDoc
Lead Lap

If value for the dollar is your most important criteria, the ES is the way to go. You will not find anything that gives you the luxury, the interior room, trunk size, xenon headlights, touch screen nav system and superb mpg (for a 3600 lb. car with 272 hp) for anything approaching $42k. The equivalent audi (A6) or BMW (535i) will cost you at least $12k more similarly equipped.

If driving dynamics are important to you and you dad, STAY AWAY!!! The car has pretty decent straight ahead power but it handles quite poorly and has a tremendous amout of body lean in turns. On the plus side, it's suspension over road irregularities is superb. It absorbs pretty much anything a road can throw at it without "floating" over bumps like a Lincoln or Buick (I was going to say Cadillac but they have come a long way over the past 7-10 years).

Sure, the car has some annoying characteristics (seat heating controls that are placed so a gymnast would have trouble getting to them), but for bang for the buck it's a great buy.

And if you're buying and not leasing it's an even better buy as Lexus' hold their value very, very well on the resale market
Old 07-28-07, 10:09 PM
VroomVroom
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Recommend that your Dad drive everything out there to see what he likes. If he happens to narrow it down to the ES then, yes, I would recommend it with absolutely zero hesitation.

I see the problems as being few, particularly given the number of vehicles on the road. And, if the forums are a true measure, the problems seem to have been addressed at the manufacturing/assembly level. Bottom line - there is a risk of mechanical failure with any new vehicle, regardless of brand.

The other thing worth mentioning - hence the recommendation to look at everything out there - is that it's horribly unfair to compare apples to oranges. People looking for a more sporty sedan that handles well wouldn't be considering an ES anyway. There are two other Lexus sedans that fit the bill quite nicely, and handling characteristics are something you examine during the test drive. The ES is for the buyer who wants comfort, room, value, and great fuel economy at a very attractive price.
Old 07-28-07, 11:11 PM
350Dave
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like my '07 ES, it is my 3rd one. It has zero problems now at the 2000 mile mark!
Old 07-29-07, 07:39 AM
NGG
Pole Position

Originally Posted by mmrfr
Well said...My experience was exactly the same...huge disappointment/frustrating experience. Dealer exchanged my ES for an IS350. What a difference. It is as should be. Good luck.
Old 07-29-07, 08:48 AM
garsarno
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Look at the Volvo S80 AWD too.
Old 07-29-07, 09:30 AM
Dave Mac
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

I would recommend the ES350 to anyone in spite of the problems some folks are experiencing. My favorite car in the world is the LS (which is having it's own share of first year problems) but after owning one I just have a hard time justifying the price premium and have now had 3 ES's - none of which have had any problems. I would probably recommend waiting for the 2008 model at this point just in case they do remedy what I consider some of the trim problems - better floor mats etc. and in the event that the 2007 models do get a bad rep further down the road for the transmission problems.

I don't know who your local dealer is but most Lexus dealers service departments are really excellent which is one reason I keep coming back to Lexus.

Dave Mac
Old 07-29-07, 09:42 AM
twister
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think you answered your own question, every forum on ES350 complaining about problems. Honestly, any forum on any car will have a lot of complaints. It was mentioned plenty before, people don't join forums to praise their cars. They join forums to complain about problems, to find if anybody else experiencing the same, or to find solutions to problems. So, its up to you if you can live with these problems and accept a good chance that you might end up with one.

As far as recommending ES from my personal experience with this car, I would say no. Thank God for buybacks
Old 07-29-07, 09:43 AM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

well to me, it seems that the opinoins r split. my dad isnt a very sporty driver he just likes accelerating fast from a stop, so the es is fine. we also looked at some of the used ls's and gs's and he said he didnt like rear wheel drive, we looked at the volvo, my dad said he didnt like it . finding him a car is rly rly hard. and r lexus dealership here is wonderful, if we the the es, it will be our 4 lexus and since almost all the people who work there r his patients, we get good deals. so all im really saying is, he lvoes everything about the car, hes just not sure about the problems. we are also looking at the 528, the e350,the rx 350, and cayenne(v6, we cant afford the s or turbo lol). we have already test driven all these cars and to tell u the truth, im rly pushing for the cayenne, maybe cause its a porsche but anyways thanks for the input everyone, if anyof u have drivien the cars listed, could u just tell me ur impressions of them thanks
Old 07-29-07, 12:15 PM
garsarno
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Today, there are four Lexus ES350 for sale on www.ebaymotors.com, all are buybacks due to transmission replacements. Research and see if they are any other 2007 cars for sale due to manufacturers buybacks.
Old 07-29-07, 12:24 PM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

we r looking at the 08's ,do u think the problems will be addressed or slightly taken care of with the 08's
Old 07-29-07, 01:18 PM
terrypm
Driver School Candidate

The 2008's have to be better than 2007's. One more year to learn and correct problems.

Quick Reply: Recommend the es or not?