ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Front Wheel Well question

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-07, 07:47 AM
meadoel
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front Wheel Well question

On both front wheel wells there is a large black plastic piece that wraps around from inside the car to the "lip" of the rear side of the wheel well.

On both sides there are two holes drilled into the plastic. These holes line up with two holes in the sheet metal. However, none of those 4 holes have anything in them to attach the plastic to the sheet metal.

Can some others look at their car and let me know if you're is the same?
Old 06-09-07, 11:42 AM
dreyfus

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by meadoel
On both front wheel wells there is a large black plastic piece that wraps around from inside the car to the "lip" of the rear side of the wheel well.

On both sides there are two holes drilled into the plastic. These holes line up with two holes in the sheet metal. However, none of those 4 holes have anything in them to attach the plastic to the sheet metal.

I'm not sure which four holes you're referring to - there are a lot of attachement points with screws and plastic connectors. But to answer your question, there are no holes in my wheel well plastic liner that don't have a fastener in them.
Old 06-09-07, 12:08 PM
meadoel
Rookie

That's pretty much the answer I needed. If you look at the drivers side front tire, the area I'm asking about is to your right. It's "behind" the tire if you are driving forward.

The surface is perpendicular to the cars direction of travel and if a fastener was inserted it would point towards the rear tire.
Old 06-09-07, 05:00 PM
VroomVroom
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Any chance these are the mounting points for mud guards?
Old 06-09-07, 06:27 PM
meadoel
Rookie

that's a good question. I don't have mud guards. Dreyfus... do you?
Old 06-09-07, 11:09 PM
Henine
Driver School Candidate

Greeting:

I'm not sure whether or not you're trying to determine if there are any grommets missing, so I thought I would take a couple of snapshots. I apologize for blurry pictures. Both pictures were taken of the front passenger wheel well. The first picture is the rear portion of the wheel well. The second is the front section of the wheel well. I do not have any mud guards installed. Hope this answers any questions you may have.
Attached Thumbnails Front Wheel Well question-front_wheel_well.jpg  
Old 06-10-07, 05:02 AM
meadoel
Rookie

Bingo, thank you! On the left picture you can see those three dime size grommets. In my car they are missing on both sides of the car. There's no evidence they were ever put in.

Does anyone know what the risk is of water getting into the holes the grommets are supposed to plug?
Old 06-10-07, 05:35 AM
amf1932
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You should take a ride over to your dealer and check the other 350's that he has there. Then go to the service dept. and ask them why they're missing.
Old 06-10-07, 06:29 AM
Pheonix
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cool

werd, those are like a dollar a pack. just tell the service guy you noticed it cleaning your friends car & then cleaning your car & he'll prolly just toss you a pack.
Old 06-10-07, 06:42 AM
meadoel
Rookie

I have an appt this week for service so I'll be taking care of it this week. I have a list of problems with my car a page long and this is just the latest. What I'm wondering is if these are largely cosmetic or if there's an issue that could result because they have been missing this long.
Old 06-10-07, 06:44 AM
amf1932
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Pheonix
werd, those are like a dollar a pack. just tell the service guy you noticed it cleaning your friends car & then cleaning your car & he'll prolly just toss you a pack.
Yeah, but what are they used for???
Old 06-10-07, 07:10 AM
Henine
Driver School Candidate

Glad to help out. I'm willing to bet that these fasteners are used to fasten the protective cowling in place and keep it from rattling and vibrating while driving. There could exist the possibility that the cowling might dislodge while driving. Personally, I would definitely have them replaced. Assuming that during car production the entire body was bathe an elixir of anti-corrosion chemicals, I would guess that there should really be no harm. Of course, living in California, they don't salt the roads during the winter (they do that in during the snowy winters, don't they?), so I don't now how corrosive the salts can be to a car's body.

Sorry to hear about your page plus of issues and hope that they are resolved quickly and to your satisfaction.

Last edited by Henine; 06-10-07 at 07:24 AM.
Old 06-10-07, 09:44 AM
Pheonix
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cool

on most vehicles. all exterior plastic / rubber body panels are held on with various types of push pins & clips. just grab a hand ful & secure it back on. no big deal. 20 seconds worth of work & a dollars worth of parts.

nooo big deal
Old 06-10-07, 12:27 PM
meadoel
Rookie

Originally Posted by Pheonix
on most vehicles. all exterior plastic / rubber body panels are held on with various types of push pins & clips. just grab a hand ful & secure it back on. no big deal. 20 seconds worth of work & a dollars worth of parts.

nooo big deal
If this was the only thing wrong with my car.. you're right it's no big deal But I have a littany, including rattles, diesel sound, wind noise, trans slip, voice recognition, oil filter/change light coming on every thousand miles, etc.

Again , if it's purely cosmetic it's no bid deal and easy to fix.
Old 06-11-07, 10:32 AM
dreyfus

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

that's a good question. I don't have mud guards. Dreyfus... do you?
Nope. I've never seen mud guards for the ES350, either.

I have three 1/2" plastic fasteners running down the lower outside lip of the wheel well (right side behind the driver's wheel), spaced about 2" apart. Below them near the bottom corner is a hex-nut fastener. Directly towards the engine from there is another bolt holding the black plastic to the car. Definitely no unused holes.

Quick Reply: Front Wheel Well question