ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

ES350 Base Stereo System

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-07, 08:31 PM
coffee7
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Geez, could we get the best of both cars and put them together into one?? I'd be the first in line to buy one![/QUOTE]

My thoughts, exactly! It was excruciating making comparisons when I was comparing reviews, specs, my own test drives, etc. So far, no perfect car.
But I do love my ES. It is the Sapphire Blue/Black with tan interior. It has the famous Lexus ride, with tolerable handling levels. The acceleration is stronger than the BMW 325i I traded in and I use regular and/or mid-range gas. If the stereo were a little stronger I would be the totally happy camper.
Old 07-05-07, 08:22 PM
MWLex1
Driver School Candidate

I agree with MD350s comparison of the TL and the ES350. My perfect car for under $40,000 (with front wheel drive) would be the best of both of these cars.
Old 07-13-07, 11:17 PM
350Dave
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A little off the topic, but my '03 ES ML was nothing compared to the '07 ES ML - I was never very satisfied with my '03, but my new car has the best sound I ever heard from a factory installed system. The 5.1 ROCKS!
Old 07-13-07, 11:27 PM
amf1932
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 350Dave
A little off the topic, but my '03 ES ML was nothing compared to the '07 ES ML - I was never very satisfied with my '03, but my new car has the best sound I ever heard from a factory installed system. The 5.1 ROCKS!
My previous car was also an '03ES with ML and I agree with you 100%
Old 07-14-07, 11:51 AM
Robert_J
Lead Lap

There's a great thread on ICIX on upgrading an ML system. It's on an IS 350 but the method should be very similar. link. The link I posted is for questions and answers. The insall log link is in the first post of that thread on the 3rd line. Yes, it is a little over the top, but it is a show car.

-Robert
Old 07-24-07, 10:53 PM
350Dave
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Robert_J
There's a great thread on ICIX on upgrading an ML system. It's on an IS 350 but the method should be very similar. link. The link I posted is for questions and answers. The insall log link is in the first post of that thread on the 3rd line. Yes, it is a little over the top, but it is a show car.

-Robert
How about a working link to the article? TIA
Old 07-25-07, 10:30 AM
Robert_J
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 350Dave
How about a working link to the article? TIA
My link above to the question and answer thread works perfectly for me. Here's the link to the install log - link.

-Robert
Old 08-09-07, 11:12 AM
peter007
Driver School Candidate

Question

Originally Posted by ncblue
I’m at work, so I’ll give a brief summary of the install!
The 5x7’s were Polk db571 coaxial and the rears db 651 coaxial, on the rears I used a Toyota mounting bracket. After the door panels were remove I found that the 6.5 inch front speakers were molded into a 6x9” adapter. I then had to create an adapter out 1/4” MDF. I used the original mounting bracket as a template, I had to increase the height of the speaker by tracing the outline of the speaker and cutting a ring. This gave the speaker (bottom) the clearance needed to clear the glass . The tweeters were not difficult to install, take a small screw driver, gently lift the grills to remove. I used a 10 mf. cap to filter the highs! (The Toyota speaker harness will work on your ES).
Removing the front door panels wasn’t that difficult. You have to remove five screws! Remove the plastic cover under the (inside) door handle by prying near the front with a small flat head screw driver. Remove the window switch area by lifting from the back of the wood trim and then use a small screw driver to lift the front of the wood trimmed ( lift straight up). Remove five screws (one under door handle, one in air vent at the front of the door, one under under the felt material in door’s arm rest and one under the wood area door switch and the last near back part of the door).

There are 9 plastic expanding plugs that hold the panel to the frame. There is one at the upper back corner, another below it about level with the top of the arm rest. The next is more or less in the middle of the curve between the straight vertical portion and the bottom horizonal portion. The bottom horizonal edge has 4, more or less evenly spaced, though the 2 toward the front are closer together. The final 2 are at either end of the front straight edge below the vent. Pull outward at the bottom of the door, and once the bottom is detached lift the panel upward with the door tilted away from the door frame. The panel is difficult to reinstall so once I started the other front door I didn’t remove it completely, I only tilted it outward and used a racket to remove the speaker. Sorry that I don’t have any pictures, I was at Circuit city, and decided
Hi,
What is your opinion about just upgrade the sub (in the trunk)? How difficult to replace it? Has anyone done this?
Old 08-09-07, 11:22 AM
RXGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 210 Likes on 171 Posts

well our 2001 es's sou d system is great, just rite. andwe have a ml in r lx and thats rly good to did the sound system drop in terms of sound from the 01 to the 07?
Old 08-09-07, 10:15 PM
JPR
Driver School Candidate

When I ordered my ES350 I listened to one with the ML system and compared it to the base one. When the volumes of both were turned high, both clipped (sign waves shift to square waves--very distorted and uncomfortable to listen too). I thought the ML had highs too crisp and distorted and bass too boomy and distorted. I didn't think the cost of the ML was justified based on its performance which was disapointing. It was only just marginally better than the base unit on CD's and about the same on FM radio. For most folks in normal driving the base unit is probably fine okay. But if one likes very exact, deeper powered audio with very low distortion and no clipping, then one would have to have a custom system installed with a separate sub-woofer in the trunk, additional booster amps, multiple crossover switches, etc. and plan on spending at least $2,000. I think the ML system is only mid fi and certainly not high fi. Anyhow, that's my view.
Old 08-10-07, 12:28 PM
amf1932
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JPR
When I ordered my ES350 I listened to one with the ML system and compared it to the base one. When the volumes of both were turned high, both clipped (sign waves shift to square waves--very distorted and uncomfortable to listen too). I thought the ML had highs too crisp and distorted and bass too boomy and distorted. I didn't think the cost of the ML was justified based on its performance which was disapointing. It was only just marginally better than the base unit on CD's and about the same on FM radio. For most folks in normal driving the base unit is probably fine okay. But if one likes very exact, deeper powered audio with very low distortion and no clipping, then one would have to have a custom system installed with a separate sub-woofer in the trunk, additional booster amps, multiple crossover switches, etc. and plan on spending at least $2,000. I think the ML system is only mid fi and certainly not high fi. Anyhow, that's my view.
You made these inaccurate statements since you DON'T have the ML system in your own car...right?
I have the ML system in my last 2 ES's and I find the sound to be outstanding. No clipping and extremely low distortion even at high volumes.
Since I'm a professional audio technician, and have at my disposal the use of "Audio Precision Analyzers", we tested the ML system in my ES350 for frequency response, IM distortion, and all the other parameters used for testing either a home or mobile sound system, and found that this ML system had one of the lowest forms of distortion of any of these systems!
What bothers me the most, is that people like yourself loves to knock the ML system with these ridiculous rationalizations after having purchasing an ES with only the base system! I'm sure you'd be singing a different tune if your car was equipped with the ML system.
Old 08-11-07, 07:20 PM
larrynimmo
Driver School Candidate

alan,

you take challenges very hard...ml is quality...we all need to evaluate value
Old 08-16-07, 12:28 PM
jjrom
Driver School Candidate

Default base audio

Respectfully speaking, viewpoints are subjective as are my following observations:
I test drove vehicles with both sound systems, and could have spent the extra 2k or so on the ML, but could not justify the money (the Bose system in my MDX was standard equipment). After tweaking all sound settings, I have found a range that I believe to be fairly good (to my taste and ear).
Old 01-01-08, 03:39 PM
CRB
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by JPR
You aren't alone in criticism in the ML execution in the ES350. I've read several reviews that compare it unfavorably with the ISX50 ML upgrade (which is a standalone at ~$800), let alone the larger and pricier Lexi ML upgrades. Moreover, packaging it with the NAV in the first place is patently ridiculous. Music lovers don't necessary need help reading a map.

Having heard both systems I disagree about it not being a substantial upgrade over the base system. I think it is a substantial upgrade, but the fact you have to swallow a $4250 lump to get any sort of upgrade at all over a marginal base audio, that to my ears sounds like is designed to please the Toyota corporate bean counters rather than a luxury car customer, is a bit of a slap in the face to the latter. I'm sure that more than one brand-loyal Lexus customer has been miffed by this situation. A standalone ML, without DVD capability, option appears to be doable and yet it still hasn't been offered.

Last edited by CRB; 01-01-08 at 03:54 PM.
Old 01-02-08, 10:28 AM
ncblue
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

[QUOTE=coffee7;2736987]Thanks so much for this info, ncblue. I am the original poster of this thread and this is what I've been wanting to find out. I now want to find out how to distinguish a "high-end" shop from a "boom and sizzle" shop (I'm assuming that's a derogatory term for a "low-end" shop).

Ncblue, when you have the time, we'd like to hear more of how much better the speakers sound. Maybe it would help to mention specific music you like and how the new set-up enhances that music. Anyhow, thanks for sharing - you're the first one who's actually done something about it![/QUOT

Sorry, I haven't been on the board for some time! To answer your question about the sound; The vocals , tribre, entire mid range is more detailed. The bass sounds deeper with more punch. I used a couple of Cd 's to compare the system before and after the speaker install. Eric Clapton's live CD was one of the Cd 's I selected. Before the install his voice seemed distance, but after the install it had a better present ( natural and upfront). Overall it sounds 100% better!

Quick Reply: ES350 Base Stereo System