ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Oil Maintenance Req Light!

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-08, 02:10 PM
BillP
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

[QUOTE=Socal2;3429819]I have tried to reset the oil maintenance light by holding the odometer button down before push start the ignition button, and continue holding it for at least 5 seconds; but the light still came on in the next start. All the windows and doors were closed.

Any suggestions?[/QUOTE

Look at the directions in the owners manual again, I'm pretty sure the odometer/trip meter has to be set on trip A before you start the sequence then it should shut off the reminder.

Last edited by BillP; 04-08-08 at 02:36 PM.
Old 04-08-08, 05:04 PM
only1gaz
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

$180 for an oil change is pretty steep thats why i go to the toyota dealership to get mine n it only costs me $30.... Lexus charges like a $100 an hr labor cost n all they do is top off fluids n if u need a roation. I will be bringin it in to lexus for my 20,000 mile checkup though..... Any opinions r welcum!!!!!!1
Old 04-08-08, 05:26 PM
MD350
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, the labor rates are high because they pack in the cost of the loaner car, food in the waiting room, and all of the other "goodies" that come with a typical Lexus service department.

I, too, get my oil done at Toyota. I have not had a major service completed yet, but when it is due I would have Toyota do it as well. The 3.5L engine can be found on several Toyota V6 models.
Old 04-08-08, 05:55 PM
ESsearch
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Socal2
I have tried to reset the oil maintenance light by holding the odometer button down before push start the ignition button, and continue holding it for at least 5 seconds; but the light still came on in the next start. All the windows and doors were closed.

Any suggestions?

I had the same problem. I took it to the dealer and he said you have to do it under one of the trip odometer settings. It's been awhile but I think he said trip A. They didn't bother putting that little nugget in the owners manual.
Try it and let us know.

Pete
Old 04-08-08, 08:26 PM
mmrfr
Rookie

Default Reset Instructions

To Reset Oil Maint. Light. Follow These Steps:
1. Set Trip To A By Pusting In The Stem Under The Speedometer.
2. Cut Car Off.
3. Press In Stem And Hold As You Pust Start Buttom Twice-do Not Put Foot On Break.-watch Trip Meter Untill All Zeros Show.
4 After Seeing A Row Of 0000000, Release Stem.
5 Start Car. It Will Go Through Check And The Light Will Be Out.
I Have My Oil Changed At Sears And They Are Clueless, But They Only Charge $65 For Mobile One With Tire Rotation And For An $85 Saving I Learned To Reset It Myself.

Even With Mobile One I Wouldnt Go Over 5k Without Changing The Oil And Filter.
Old 04-08-08, 11:57 PM
unknown2
Driver

Good to know!!
Old 04-09-08, 12:57 PM
Socal2
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by mmrfr
2. Cut Car Off.
3. Press In Stem And Hold As You Pust Start Buttom Twice-do Not Put Foot On Break.-watch Trip Meter Untill All Zeros Show.
Yes, it works!!! Lexus user menu never mention the need to push start button twice without the foot on brake pedal. Thanks for help to get rid of the annoying maintenance warning light.
Old 04-11-08, 10:36 AM
mbrenne72
Driver School Candidate

Default Non-Lexus Oil Change

I've had three oil changes since I purchased a 2007 Lexus ES350. The first was "free" at the dealership at 5,000 miles. For the second at 10,000 miles, I went to my local dealer and they quoted me $175 - my jaw dropped. Unfortunately, we were there and were leaving town so I sucked it up and paid for the oil change. I was told the cost included 1) synthetic oil, 2) fluid check and cap, 3) tire rotation, 4) vaccuum, 5) car wash (although I think one of the other posts is more accurate about paying for the courtesy vehicle and the popcorn in the lobby).

For the third oil change at 15,000, I called a few places. Most charge around $65 for a synthetic oil change. Tire rotation runs from $0 (included with oil change) to $40. I went to my local 10 minute oil change and they wanted $60 + $10 for the special filter. I'm still not sure what happened but it seems they use a special filter wrench for the Lexus and theirs broke trying to remove the filter. Now I'm going back next week when they get a new tool! they were able to reset the code.

I am now questioning whether it is worth the extra $75 to just have LExus do it correctly or if I should give the local oil joint a second chance (now they know how to do it). Part of me just wants to get the wrench and do it myself!

I do find it interesting that most shops recommend an oil change every 3,000 miles. But if you buy/lease a car where the dealer includes the change, they recommend every 5,000 to 10,000! Funny how that changes
Old 04-11-08, 10:39 AM
MD350
Lexus Test Driver

Have you checked the price at your local Toyota dealer? That is where I get mine done. With a coupon, $14 for regular bulk oil and filter.
Old 04-14-08, 07:35 AM
dreyfus

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by mbrenne72
Part of me just wants to get the wrench and do it myself!
Do it yourself. For the cost of the oil and a filter and 20 minutes of your time you can be satisfied that it's done right. You don't need a special wrench and you don't even need to raise the car. Everything's easy to get to.

Toyota/Lexus filters are the only way to go, quality-wise. I always buy mine from the local Toyota dealer. The part # is 04152-YZZA1.

Here are the complete instructions (for the Avalon but identical to our ES350).

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/att...4&d=1170275689
Old 07-29-14, 10:53 AM
TexDave
Driver School Candidate

Default Thank you, thank you!

Originally Posted by mmrfr
2. Cut Car Off.
I Have My Oil Changed At Sears And They Are Clueless, But They Only Charge $65 For Mobile One With Tire Rotation And For An $85 Saving I Learned To Reset It Myself.

Even With Mobile One I Wouldnt Go Over 5k Without Changing The Oil And Filter.
Thank you so much for providing the answer that WORKED PERFECTLY ans saved me a trip to the dealership. Well done, friend!
Old 07-29-14, 10:54 AM
TexDave
Driver School Candidate

Thank you so much for providing the answer that WORKED PERFECTLY ans saved me a trip to the dealership. Well done, friend!
TexDave is online now Report Post Edit/Delete Message
Old 09-17-14, 02:08 PM
traveler8
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the info it will save me a 50 mile trip to the dealer for something so simple.
Old 05-19-15, 04:38 PM
Canesguy
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I successfully re-set, and turned off my maintenance reminder on my 2014 ES. While the car was running, I pressed the odometer button to display Trip A, then kept holding it, turned off the car, then pressed start twice without pressing the brake, which just put it in accessory mode. As I kept holding it, I saw 4 dashes (----) go down to none, then a series of zeros display till once again Trip A mileage showed. It was successfully re-set and the maintenance reminder was gone.
Old 04-12-18, 04:31 AM
KeithRN
Driver School Candidate

Default Oil change. And oil maintenance required message

This message can up a month after the first year service it's a real pain but your dealer will reset it for you free of charge,
the Lexus dealer said it's a totally unnecessary indicator and they wish Lexus would remove or deactivate it as oil service is only required every 12 thousand miles or 12 months. The modern fully synthetic oils or long life oils do not require 5k oil change this only apply to very old vehicle using old types of mineral oils which break down easily.
This problem is more prounced in the USA where many dealerships and independent garage are still working on oil change information from the 1930 as the consumer laws are so poor in the USA they get away with this false advertising.
most modern vehicle now come with oil monitoring systems that monitor the oil via various sensors and use a algorithm developed with certain oil other systems like that on the Lexus is a basic general algorithm which is out dated and unnecessary providing you check your oil level every two week and top up using the correct oil. Lexus service plan is standard 12k or 12 months or variable if you opted for the long life oil and filters.
there is no need to change oil and filter every 5k or less this us a waste of oil a waste of natural resources, and extremely bad for the environment.
so the advice is if the light comes on must before 12 k get an oil change at any other time check your oil level if the is a little use then top back to full if the dip is on minimum and you only do 5k get the car into the dealer as it's using to much oil there should be little to no oil useage on modern Japanese or European vehicle. American car using older engines will find some oil usage but cars based on Europe/ Asian model with modern european/ asian engines will not require top up unless there is a problems.
always remember to use manufactures recommended grade of oil or a better one. Remember changing oil without changing filter is wasting money and oil.
oil should be removed via the drain plug and not a vacuum down the dip stick.
5k oil changes belong in the past follow the handbook service plan the manufacture has spent lots of time and money developing the maintenance of your engine. Synthetic oil are the best.

Quick Reply: Oil Maintenance Req Light!