ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

XM radio problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-07, 05:37 PM
Rudybobbo
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default XM radio problem

I just would like to know if anyone else with XM radio in their ES 350 has had this happen to them.When I started the car in the morning,I then turned on the XM radio.The audio coming from the xm was intermitant and garbled.This went on for 10 seconds and then nothing , no audio.The read out for the artist and song were there, but no audio.The am and fm worked fine. But no xm.But when I stopped the car and turned it off. I then turned the car back on.I then turned the xm back on and it worked fine.I contacted the Lexus service department.I explained the problem to the service manager.He told me this will happen to xm sometimes.He told me that when you turn the car off this will reset the xm part of the radio.Now this problem with no audio on the xm radio has happened to me twice.I have had to car since july 19th. Has anyone else had this happened to them.
Old 01-11-07, 08:20 PM
MD350
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Rudybobbo
I just would like to know if anyone else with XM radio in their ES 350 has had this happen to them.When I started the car in the morning,I then turned on the XM radio.The audio coming from the xm was intermitant and garbled.This went on for 10 seconds and then nothing , no audio.The read out for the artist and song were there, but no audio.The am and fm worked fine. But no xm.But when I stopped the car and turned it off. I then turned the car back on.I then turned the xm back on and it worked fine.I contacted the Lexus service department.I explained the problem to the service manager.He told me this will happen to xm sometimes.He told me that when you turn the car off this will reset the xm part of the radio.Now this problem with no audio on the xm radio has happened to me twice.I have had to car since july 19th. Has anyone else had this happened to them.
I have had my car since August and this has never happened to me.
Old 01-12-07, 06:33 AM
onsknht
Pole Position

I'll suspect your radio works the same as the JBL system, someone can confirm what I think it might be.

I had on occasion listened to my ipod and then listened to CD or the radio before going back to the ipod... When I would change the mode sometimes, I would get no sound, the disc played the radio station tuned in but nothing! And the ipod was just cranking less than a minute ago!

Turns out, the radio recalls set volume levels for various functions... I never hooked the XM up to my JBL system, but the radio and CD worked off the same volume control and the Aux (or ipod) had it's own volume control, I bet the XM tuner had it's own volume as well. So what happened was this...

1. I turned down the radio to 0 when I parked the car...

2. I went to work all day

3. I got in the car and switched to Aux right away and jammed out

4. 2-3 days later I decided I wanted to listen to the radio

5. I was like WTF is wrong with my radio?

Check it out... My new car also recalls volume levels among "modes."
Old 01-12-07, 02:26 PM
currie0522
Driver School Candidate

My XM Roady in another car requires a power cycle at times to recover the audio. Display is ok at this time, and I suspect that the processor in it gets confused and requires a reboot to recover. I haven't noticed a similar problem with our XM radio in the Lexus yet, but I wouldn't be surprised that the same thing can happen.
Old 01-12-07, 06:58 PM
PsychDoc
Lead Lap

Default The Only Problem With XM Is....

....no Howard Stern!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-13-07, 02:35 PM
BobsGX
Racer

Originally Posted by PsychDoc
....no Howard Stern!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
That's fine by me. Even when I had Sirius in my 06 GX, I never listened to the guy.
Old 01-13-07, 09:35 PM
Evitzee
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

This seems to be a relatively common problem with XM. It's only happened to me once. Other's on the IS forum have had more occurences of this issue. Haven't heard of any permanent 'fix' other than the 'power off/reboot' one.
Old 01-14-07, 06:33 AM
twister
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BobsGX
That's fine by me. Even when I had Sirius in my 06 GX, I never listened to the guy.
Funny, I'm the opposite. Sirius has TONS of channels, and I only listen to Howard 100 Catch part of the show in the morning on the way to work, and the rest on the way back (before I get to daycare to pickup my daughter ) when they repeat it at night. That Raw Comedy channel is great too!!!
Old 01-14-07, 09:05 AM
tnfan
Rookie

I have noticed this problem also. Doesn't happen often but is a PITA to have to stop the car and restart.