Are We Tired Of Tires?

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-06, 06:48 AM
PsychDoc
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Are We Tired Of Tires?

I sure hope not.

First off, let's just agree that "all season" tires are, at best, a compromise of just about everything dynamic in a car. Let's then add to the mix that the tires supplied with the majority of new ES' are far from the best of this already motley crew. The Michelin MXV's are terribly ordinary tires and they really don't do anything particularly well, except perhaps, lighten your wallet if you have to replace one.

So I think we can take it as a given that you'd be insane not to run "summer tires" if you live in any area that does not get a significant amount of snow.

If (as I do) you live in an area that does get snow, unless you want to switch out your tires every winter with "snow tires" (a huge pain in the a** that few of us want to be bothered with) we are stuck with the far more mediocre A/S'. When I owned my 2000 ES 300 I eventually replaced the OEM Michelin MXV's with Michelin Pilot Exalto A/S at a much cheaper price. What a difference! The car handled much more sharply, turn in was quicker and there was decidedly less body lean. Here's a Tire Rack survey of high performance A/S' if you want more information.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/survey....jsp?type=HPAS

Anyone else have any experience with other high performance A/S' ?
Old 09-20-06, 07:58 AM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The ones on our Camry XLE were Michelin Energy MXV4 Plus. They're relatively low rolling resistance, fairly quiet, smooth riding and quite good grip in dry and wet conditions. I feel that they're so-so in the snow. I couldn't find any place near my area that sold the TripleTreds so we were sorta forced to replace the OEM tyres with another set of MXV4 Plus when they wore out.
Old 09-20-06, 08:26 AM
twister
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hmm, Exalto A/S does have a high rating and customer satisfaction. Too bad they only go as high as 17". I'm seriously considering in a spring/summer time to go with 18" (225/45-18) and A/S high performance tires. It makes no sense to do it now cause of our East Coast winters and all the afterward potholes; don't want any extra wear/tear and re-alignment in a spring time again I do enjoy a soft comfy ride with a default tires/wheels, but the turn handling on ramps, etc. is a joke. And, I already said that before: No, I don't want a sport performance car or GS/IS alternative. I absolutely love ES350 and just want to enhance the driving experience

BTW, since I don't have manual and tire brochure handy in front of me, what is our tire's load index for ES350?
Old 09-20-06, 08:38 AM
PsychDoc
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by twister
Hmm, Exalto A/S does have a high rating and customer satisfaction. Too bad they only go as high as 17". I'm seriously considering in a spring/summer time to go with 18" (225/45-18) and A/S high performance tires. It makes no sense to do it now cause of our East Coast winters and all the afterward potholes; don't want any extra wear/tear and re-alignment in a spring time again I do enjoy a soft comfy ride with a default tires/wheels, but the turn handling on ramps, etc. is a joke. And, I already said that before: No, I don't want a sport performance car or GS/IS alternative. I absolutely love ES350 and just want to enhance the driving experience

BTW, since I don't have manual and tire brochure handy in front of me, what is our tire's load index for ES350?
Wow. With 18" rims and 45 profile tires you are REALLY going to compromise the ride compliance on this car!

It already rides a bit stiffly (with ironically no perceptible improvement in handling....go figure!?) so be ready for some jolts my friend.
Old 09-20-06, 09:09 AM
twister
Lexus Test Driver

I think this is another case of "ride quality" being a relative term. I guess it all depends what you are comparing this ride to. To my personal taste, the ride is too soft. I agree that going with a wider (225 vs 215) and lower profile (45 vs 55) tires will compromise a little (again a relative term) the ride quality: noisier and stiffer, but it should not compromise the compliance since a relative ratio of going up in radius and down in profile should stay relatively the same. The only problem here is that I can not try before I buy for a comparison. I don't want to do this for a show-off, but honestly want to improve the handling and performance of the ride.
Old 09-20-06, 10:17 AM
Macklin
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

twister, I wish you would go ahead and do this so you could give us a first hand report. I am with you on the desire for a bit better handling. And I bet the lower, wider profile would be an improvement as well.

Don't forget pics!
Old 09-20-06, 10:38 AM
PsychDoc
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Macklin
twister, I wish you would go ahead and do this so you could give us a first hand report. I am with you on the desire for a bit better handling. And I bet the lower, wider profile would be an improvement as well.

Don't forget pics!
Go Twister, Go Twister!!!!

You the man!!!

Seriously, I can't wait for your report also. If it markedly improves performance without degrading the ride, I think you may be on to something here.

Do the wheel wells have enough clearance for the 225 width?
Old 09-20-06, 11:08 AM
slider71
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Yoko

Yokohama Avid V4s is what I'm replacing the OEM tires on my ES350 when the stockers give out...like around 25-30k. I had these on my Maxima, replacing a set of the Falken Ziex 512s, and the Yoko's did a very nice job. Very well rated on TireRack, and a sporty look to them too. Also quite decent in snow.
Old 09-20-06, 11:19 AM
cyke
Driver School Candidate

twister,

I believe many are waiting for somebody to upgrade the wheels & tires and report on it. Only "lbeal" has 18" wheels on his ES350 and reported no difference vs 17" wheels. I would like to see pics as well and see how it looks from behind.

By the way, tirerack.com already has ES350 in their upgrade garage.

cyke
Attached Thumbnails Are We Tired Of Tires?-18-in-wheels.jpg  
Old 09-20-06, 11:25 AM
PsychDoc
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by cyke
twister,

I believe many are waiting for somebody to upgrade the wheels & tires and report on it. Only "lbeal" has 18" wheels on his ES350 and reported no difference vs 17" wheels. I would like to see pics as well and see how it looks from behind.

By the way, tirerack.com already has ES350 in their upgrade garage.

cyke
Those ASA AR1's look awesome. So a set of four of them with Avid tires premounted would come in at about $1400. Not bad considering you get to keep or sell the OEM rims and tires.
Old 09-20-06, 11:29 AM
cyke
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by PsychDoc
Those ASA AR1's look awesome. So a set of four of them with Avid tires premounted would come in at about $1400. Not bad considering you get to keep or sell the OEM rims and tires.
PsychDoc,

Yes it does. This is the wheel set I'm considering if I do upgrade.

cyke
Old 09-20-06, 11:49 AM
PsychDoc
Lead Lap

Actually, seeing the wheel combinations mounted I think I may be partial to the AR2. Damn, there are some really awesome looking rims out there that really preserve the classy look of the car but make it look infintely sportier.

Now if we can just find a way to make it handle sportier!

Old 09-20-06, 12:03 PM
twister
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by PsychDoc
Another vote for AR1! But, they don't have Avid's to fit 225/45-18. Since I'm not planning to change wheels until next spring, I'm hoping myself that someone else on this forum gets 18" and reports it back to us
Old 09-20-06, 06:42 PM
dshahs420
Pole Position

I recommend these tires.......Michelin Pilots, Good Year Comfertreds and Pirelli P Zero Nero....they all have good word of mouth plus i own all 3 and love em.
Old 09-20-06, 10:11 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Depends which Pilot model doesn't it? My friend's HX (215/55R17) isn't that great... I think it's called the HX.. the one on the TSX anyway. Also, the Pilot Premacy on the Euro/Japan Prius (195/55R16) aren't the grippiest either so I'm assuming you're talking about a better model than the two mentioned above? Or am I just talking nonsense?

Quick Reply: Are We Tired Of Tires?