ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350

Blind Rear window

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-06, 09:52 PM
F355SPIDER
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Blind Rear window

I have a silver with light grey interior ES 350. Lexus obviously never drove their prototype with the light grey interior, or they would have discovered you cannot see out the back because the the rear window angle to the rear window shelf creates a perfect glare with the light grey interior. In order to see out the back, my wife has had to put black fabric there to kill the glare. The only problem is, I spent $340 extra for a powered rear shade that is rendered useless because it would disrupt the black fabric, which was a pain in the a$$ to position to kill the glare, plus you can't drive with the windows down or it is blown out of position.

I wonder how many thousands have experienced the same problem. When is Lexus going to fix this with a replacement dull black panel for the rear shelf? The car is fundamentally hazardous, in the as delivered condition.
Old 09-13-06, 10:14 PM
wanderer99
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by F355SPIDER
...because the the rear window angle to the rear window shelf creates a perfect glare with the light grey interior.
So you're saying that if the sun comes in the back window it becomes a glare issue for you?

I have the Tungsten Pearl with grey interior and I don't think I've ever had this issue. If the sun comes in the back window and I get some glare from the rearview mirror, I just raise the rear sunshade. For the sun to glare at me from the rear I'd have to be driving at the right (wrong?) time of day, and have it at just the right angle to be a direct problem.
Old 09-14-06, 06:30 AM
Ingram4868
Driver

We have the same color combination yet my wife and I have never noticed this to be an issue and we live in a desert area. Do you suppose the rear window missed the tinting process?
Old 09-14-06, 07:18 AM
twister
Lexus Test Driver

Got TP with black interior, so its a little different setup from yours. Of course, never had a glare problem. But, here is something I thought of from David's post above. Why don't you just tint your windows? You will be amazed by how much your situation going to improve!!! You don't have to go limo-black, something like 35% (what I got on mine) will make a big difference.
Old 09-14-06, 08:34 AM
sarge43
Driver

I have the same combo as Wanderer99 and Ingram and have not had any issues with rear window visibility. I agree the rear sunshade is very useful and I use it to not only protect the interior when parked outside but when driving away from the sun to eliminate the glare.

Have you tried adjusting the rear view mirror to show more of the upper part of the rear window area than the lower? (as the mirror's field of vision is larger than the rear window.)
Old 09-14-06, 09:05 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by sarge43
I have the same combo as Wanderer99 and Ingram and have not had any issues with rear window visibility. I agree the rear sunshade is very useful and I use it to not only protect the interior when parked outside but when driving away from the sun to eliminate the glare.

Have you tried adjusting the rear view mirror to show more of the upper part of the rear window area than the lower? (as the mirror's field of vision is larger than the rear window.)
The rear sunshade also comes in handy at night if someone is behind you with their high beams on, or a jacked up SUV or truck whose headlights are shining right in the back window.

Last edited by LexBob2; 09-14-06 at 09:19 AM.
Old 09-14-06, 11:19 AM
F355SPIDER
Driver School Candidate

Exclamation Rear Window Glare

The Lexus dealer even confirmed they had a number of complaints about this rear window glare issue wiping out rear visibility. So I know I'm not the only one complaining about this problem. Maybe its just the sun angle in the northern climates but the problem seems to occur regardless of car orientation to the sun.
Old 09-14-06, 11:56 AM
Kaius88
Lead Lap

just dont use the rear window. its basically useless considering the size. I cant even see the make/model of the car behind me because the window is so high up. Also, when backing up, the rear window doesnt help much. I mostly use the side mirrors anyway. The car has tremendous blind spots and I have had a dozen of "close calls" already with walls and adjacent cars in parking lots. I am just learning the car...so you should just take time and practice on it as much as possible. Really...the rear window is not that useful.
Old 09-14-06, 12:02 PM
wanderer99
Lead Lap

Is this glare visible when you're looking through the rearview mirror, and catch it in your eyes that way? Or is this something that only happens when you turn around and look out the back window?
Old 09-14-06, 02:24 PM
F355SPIDER
Driver School Candidate

The glare occurs either way. If you turn around and look or if you look in the rear view mirror. I know most people who drive Camry's probably will never squawk the problem because they never look in the rear view mirrors! But it is a real problem in most driving situations, where situational awareness is important to you.
Old 09-14-06, 07:45 PM
dp5
Driver

I have the light grey interior with the SGM exterior. I've never experienced this problem. It may have something to do with the angle of the rear view mirror.

If you are having a glare, I don't understand why driving with the rear sunshade up doesn't fix the problem. I have the rear sunshade, as well, and it is designed so that you can drive the car with the sunshade in the up position. I use this occasionally to keep the sun off the back of my kids' heads. Have you tried this remedy?
Old 09-14-06, 08:29 PM
jeffofla
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have had the car since April. I too have a light grey interior. I have driven in mutliple driving conditions and have not noticed a glare inside. I do not find the vehicle to be hazardous. I would like to see documented evidence this is affecting thousands.
Old 09-14-06, 09:28 PM
psp
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey you guys, just remember the first rule if Italian driving, "What's behind me is not important!".
Old 09-14-06, 10:14 PM
amf1932
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by psp
Hey you guys, just remember the first rule if Italian driving, "What's behind me is not important!".
Except if it's a cop!!
Old 09-15-06, 04:44 AM
Macklin
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I also have light grey interior with SGM and have never experienced this problem. Yes, the visibility is somewhat reduced in this car, but I don't find it dangerous. The rear view mirrors make up for the rear window. And I rather like the fact that when I am tailgated at night (common occurance anymore) the head lights are cut off by the height of the window.

Quick Reply: Blind Rear window