ES - 5th Gen (2007-2012) Discussion topics related to 2007+ ES350
View Poll Results: Multiple Choice: What problems do you have with your 2007 ES350?
Transmission shift flaring
27.33%
Cold engine start noise
24.00%
Wind noise
23.67%
Interior rattles
25.67%
Voice Recognition for climate control
13.67%
I have none of the problems listed above
32.33%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 300. You may not vote on this poll

What problem do you have with your 2007 ES350?

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-06, 02:00 PM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by riley2620
It's funny that you note the vibration. My car does have some vibration - not terrible but it certainly does not idle as smoothly as the V6 on my fleet Chevy Impala. I have noticed that at idle there is some vibration - reminds me more of a four cylinder engine than a V6 - but I have noticed that there is more engine noise coming through to the passenger compartment than when it was brand new. Also the idle noises are sort of strange - sound like an old, tired engine. I will keep an eye (or ear) on this and report back.

Any suggestions on how I should handle this when I take the car in again? I think I will try a different dealer this time - I'll ask Lexus customer service what they recommend. Take care!
By all means go to a second dealer, but call and speak to the service manager at the new dealer first, tell them what happened, one minute you are correctly diagnosed with a valve problem and later it is taken back and your car has something wrong with the engine.

Calling the 800 cusotmer number may be an experience in patience and tolerance, but you need to ask for a problem car case manager to call you. I was told one would call me in 2 days, it was 13 days later and one misleading thing after another by that case manager and his boss, but stay tough and stay on them and eventually something will be done. For me over a month and a half after contacting them something is finally getting done, but only because they had at one point had me in contact with a regional person, who I later ended up calling myself and am working directly with them instead of torance CA folks.
Old 09-23-06, 05:55 PM
dshahs420
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ES350bob and riley, I suggest you guys do this. Get an impartial person to verify your problems, then go to the dealer and tell them that you will give them 3 chances to fix it and if it is not fixed to your satisfaction, you will get a lemon law attorney involved and start proceedings for lexus to buy back your car. Do the same with lexus corporate and make sure you let them know that the conversation is being recorded to be used at trial. Get a telephone recorder and keep tabs on all conversations. Its time for actions rather than words!!!! I can fully assure you that rattling their cages will make them heed your advice!
Old 09-23-06, 07:00 PM
Rudybobbo
Driver School Candidate

Default small problem.

There's Only one thing I can say in this section. The diesel noise at start up does occur in my ES350. But, it is not very loud and only lasts 30 seconds at most.So I am not very worried at this time. Every car that I have owned has it's little noise at cold start up.We will see what happens in the future.
Old 09-25-06, 08:58 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by dshahs420
ES350bob and riley, I suggest you guys do this. Get an impartial person to verify your problems, then go to the dealer and tell them that you will give them 3 chances to fix it and if it is not fixed to your satisfaction, you will get a lemon law attorney involved and start proceedings for lexus to buy back your car. Do the same with lexus corporate and make sure you let them know that the conversation is being recorded to be used at trial. Get a telephone recorder and keep tabs on all conversations. Its time for actions rather than words!!!! I can fully assure you that rattling their cages will make them heed your advice!
i am not sure if lemon laws apply to wipers rocking the car... lol.
Old 09-26-06, 06:00 AM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by spwolf
i am not sure if lemon laws apply to wipers rocking the car... lol.
Well rest assured from now on that Lemon Law does apply to such things as wipers rocking a car back and forth where it reveals a defective suspension allowing it to happen, or where there is no means to cease them doing it, making them a serious safety hazard when used.

In this case though the subject response was pertaining to the defective engines in my car and Riley's...lol.
Old 10-13-06, 11:44 AM
garsarno
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Have my first problem this morning with initial start up. It was 40 degrees F this morning - started the car up and nice blue smoke came out the exhaust pipes for the first three seconds along with a little clatter. Only 260 miles on a 8/06 build.
Old 10-15-06, 07:29 PM
reyrey127
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by garsarno
Have my first problem this morning with initial start up. It was 40 degrees F this morning - started the car up and nice blue smoke came out the exhaust pipes for the first three seconds along with a little clatter. Only 260 miles on a 8/06 build.
have you experienced the shift flares as well?
Old 10-16-06, 12:23 PM
garsarno
Lexus Champion

No shift problems as yet. The blue smoke came out that one time since
10/13. Our first Lexus and still cannot get over how quiet the car is and creamy drive. Makes my 2004 Lincoln LS feel like a beater in comparison.
Old 10-18-06, 07:19 AM
Tammy
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

A little blue smoke is somewhat normal as the rings and valve guides are still breaking in. I would be observant, but not concerned.

Enjoy your new vehicle ...
Old 10-18-06, 08:51 AM
glock22x
Driver School Candidate

Does anyone read the IS forum? Some people are talking about the cold engine start problem, it seems like it's in most of the new Lexus. Moreover, most people seem to have the cranking noise after their first oil change. Thus, are people's cold engine start noise in their ES350 occuring after their first oil change?
Old 10-21-06, 01:22 PM
glock22x
Driver School Candidate

I just picked up my ES350 yesterday and took it out for a spin on the highway and S turns today. So far, no problems. And there's no noise during the cold start in the morning. However, I do hear "some" wind noise while going at 100k/h, but it's not horrible like some people described. I find the wind noise 'normal,' can't expect total silence
Old 10-23-06, 01:58 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

We just returned from a 2 week, 3,000+ driving vacation, and our ES performed flawlessly with no problems at all. It's a 4/06 build date and was purchased in mid-May. There was a little wind rush around the driver's side window @75-80 mph but nothing too loud for that speed. Gas mileage on highway/interstate driving was 27.9-31.2 @ 70-80 mph on 89 octane gas and this included hilly areas in Kentucky & Tennessee and congested areas in Florida. Overall a pleasant highway cruiser with plenty of power for passing and merging.
Old 10-23-06, 02:22 PM
JamRWS6
Driver

Hi everyone. I normally don't visit the ES forum, but I thought I would since I know the ES350 and my RX350 use the same engine. I am having the same deep knocking sound as many of you have described. Just noticed it this weekend on a trip to Memphis. They had a cold front come through and boy was I surprised to hear the engine when I was leaving in the morning. It sounds deep. Nothing like a ping or valve lifter or fuel injector. After a few miles it goes away. Very temperature related. Hope Lexus comes up with an answer. I have not heard it in my IS350 which uses a similar but different engine.
Old 10-23-06, 02:45 PM
ES350Bob
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by JamRWS6
Hi everyone. I normally don't visit the ES forum, but I thought I would since I know the ES350 and my RX350 use the same engine. I am having the same deep knocking sound as many of you have described. Just noticed it this weekend on a trip to Memphis. They had a cold front come through and boy was I surprised to hear the engine when I was leaving in the morning. It sounds deep. Nothing like a ping or valve lifter or fuel injector. After a few miles it goes away. Very temperature related. Hope Lexus comes up with an answer. I have not heard it in my IS350 which uses a similar but different engine.
Jam...

As part of a second opinion process about the several times daily sound my engine makes, a motorsports shop owner said the sound has a rod like depth to it but that rods don't quiet down, they tend to stay noisy, and that the sound is anything but normal.

It is loud considering all the sound proofing and it can still be heard in the car.
Old 10-23-06, 03:17 PM
garsarno
Lexus Champion

It was 40 degrees F this morning and I also had the "lifter" type noise for about a mile after start up. 8/06 build date. A Lexus should not be doing this, esp with only 700 miles. To the dealer for inspection.

Quick Reply: What problem do you have with your 2007 ES350?