Purchasing question from non-Lexus owner

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-06, 10:35 PM
bobbyg123
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Purchasing question from non-Lexus owner

Hey guys, first post here....

You can add me to the list of people in love with the new ES 350. I currently own a 2005 Infiniti G35, and while I love the vehicle, I'm looking for something more smooth. I work as a surgical device rep and drive upwards of 25K miles/year. I can't imagine a more "sales friendly" vehicle than the ES 350. I guess my main question surrounds the willingness of Lexus to negotiate the price of their vehicles. I haven't purchased a Lexus previously, so I don't know what to expect. I generally purchase a new car every 3 years, as do most medical sales reps. I've previously dealt with Ford, Nissan, Honda, Toyota, and Infiniti. Just about all of the dealers are willing to bend on price IF (and only if) the model isn't brand new and in high demand.

Finally my question...When did the prices begin to dip on the outgoing ES 330 or the RX series? I remember when the first RX's hit the dealerships, and Lexus was simply not budging off of invoice price. Now that the model has been out for a while, you often find dealerships willing to sell the RX's at invoice price. Simply put, I'm not in any rush to purchase a new vehicle. I'm planning on buying the ES 350 sometime after the Holiday Season in February or March. Is Lexus more aggressive (like most dealers) when they need to unload inventory to make way for the new model year?

Thanks in advance guys. I hope I don't sound like a cheap charlie with this question. I'm just in a position where I don't "need" the car right away and I'd like to buy it at as close to invoice price as I can. Take care!
Old 05-08-06, 07:41 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I think it's best for you to find out what the invoice price of the car that you want (get print-outs), and just tell a dealer that you want to meet somewhere halfway. Be realistic, and be persistent. If one dealer cannot accomodate you, look for another dealer. Someone will budge soon.

If you plan to get a new ES350 after the holiday season, you will probably have better chances to getting something farther from MSRP. The car would have been released eight months already, with a lot of people getting $2-3k off MSRP. Keep a lookout with the CL Forums to see how much $$ people are getting off the sticker.

Good luck with the search!
Old 05-08-06, 10:20 AM
bobbyg123
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default good info

Thanks Phillip,

After I posted my message, I did some thorough research on pricing and confirmed what I had suspected. The outgoing ES 330 can now be had for $400 over invoice according to CarsDirect; and a phone call I made to Lexus of Seattle morning left me to believe I could get one at invoice price if I pushed hard enough. Mind you, that's an apples to oranges comparison (new model vs. outgoing model), but it does confirm that Lexus will sell cars at invoice price depending on the situation. I'm not normally someone who likes to buy at the end of a model year, but in the case of the new ES 350 that might make good business sense. Lexus is obviously not going to be doing much to the 350 for the next several years, and even in February the 2007 model will still be current with the calendar year. Here's what I have determined to be sticker/invoice price for the ES 350 I'm considering:

2007 Lexus ES 350 4dr Sedan Base

MSRP: $33,865
Invoice: $30,519

Premium Plus Pack: $2480
Ultra Luxury Package: $5380

Depending on availability, I will select one of these two option packages. If I opt for the less expensive PPP, I will probably add a few more ala carte options as well. Either way, a target invoice price of right around $35,000 is what I'll be shooting for. The beauty of Lexus (Toyota) is that I would even consider a loaner/demo/slightly used vehicle given their superb reliability and certified pre-owned warranty.

On a separate note, I wonder what we can expect to see from the 2007 Toyota Avalon? I don't want to start an Avalon/ES 350 debate, but I think it's fair to say that the new 6-sp transmission option will most likely be offered in subsequent Avalon models; making it by far the most attractive (non-luxury) full-size car available. Hell, it already is!
Old 05-08-06, 01:03 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by bobbyg123
On a separate note, I wonder what we can expect to see from the 2007 Toyota Avalon? I don't want to start an Avalon/ES 350 debate, but I think it's fair to say that the new 6-sp transmission option will most likely be offered in subsequent Avalon models; making it by far the most attractive (non-luxury) full-size car available. Hell, it already is!
I think Toyota is going to fix some of the problems from the Avalon. In it's first year, it had bad U-joint welds, faulty catalytic converters, leak in oil-supply line for variable valve timing, and vehicle drifting (see link). Hopefully, this will all be fixed for the 2007.

As for an Avalon/ES debate, I think the two cars are comprable, but it comes down to having to pay extra for either space or amenities. My parents almost Special Ordered an Avalon, but I suggested that they get a hooked-up ES. They will not be driving anyone else around (they're empty nesters) so they don't need the extra room of an Avalon. Might as well spend the money in having bells and whistles, not rear passenger leg room.