ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

lexus posted es 330details on website!

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-03, 08:39 PM
dreday68
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lexus posted es 330details on website!

lexus has posted news on the ES 330!!!

lhttp://www.lexus.com/models/es/index.html
Old 08-26-03, 09:11 PM
squarehat
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wow. Base MSRP not bad considering leather is now standard and some options look to be cheaper than in past years.
Old 08-26-03, 10:20 PM
kwc_diesel
Driver School Candidate

Yeah, the longer you wait, the better the cars keep getting, but you gotta get in sometime, prudently when "December to Remember" end of year sales events let you get well below MSRP.

It's kind of annoying though especially for those of us who've had issues with the Engine power and Transmission engagement for the 3G and earlier ES300's. Now LEXUS gets finally excited to have fixed it after 3 years since the revamp.

Anyways, leather interior has been standard for few years now, but the wheel and shift **** wood and leather trim are extra.
Old 08-27-03, 08:33 AM
amf1932
Lexus Champion

I was just checking out the specs of the ES330 at the Lexus website. Would you believe that the '04 ES330 has 5 more horsepower than the '04 GS300. Also, the acceleration to 60 MPH is faster than the GS. I guess the ES has now become a performance sedan.
Old 08-27-03, 08:49 AM
mrweaver7
Driver School Candidate

Default New ES330

I think it is interesting that new ES330 is quicker and has more power than the GS300. I work for Lexus of Orlando here in Florida and we received our first 2004 ES330 2 days ago and our first 2004 GS300 yesterday (8/26). The ES330 has no cosmetic changes (except a little airbag notification button near the air conditioner controls). I had the opportunity of driving one yesterday. More power but I felt the power too much under the front wheels. The engine is not as silky smooth as the previous version but it seems to be changed for the better.

John
Lexus of Orlando
Old 08-27-03, 08:55 AM
jp82729
Rookie

Also the first Lexus vehicle to get the gen 4 navi system (my baby )
Old 08-27-03, 09:43 AM
amf1932
Lexus Champion

mrweaver7,
How was the new transmission in the '04ES? Did it feel any different than than the previous year?
Old 08-27-03, 11:26 AM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Doesn't mention anything about the steering wheel controls. Hope it's not going to disappoint some people here.
The mileage has gotten worse too from 21/29 to 20/29....but is still at least better than the less-powerful GS300's 18/25. And then again, I've barely achieved 20 mpg in mixed driving. Those mileage claims are usually overly optimistic anyway.
I wonder if my '02 ES can get the new navigation software update too. Could be simply a replacement of the DVD. Anyone has an idea here?

Last edited by XeroK00L; 08-27-03 at 11:35 AM.
Old 08-27-03, 11:54 AM
amf1932
Lexus Champion

I wonder if my '02 ES can get the new navigation software update too.
I would think that since this is a new version of the NAV system, it's more than just a software update. It probably would be very expensive to replace your current system, even if it could be done.

Spoke to my dealer this morning and was told that there are NO radio controls on the steering wheel.

Last edited by amf1932; 08-27-03 at 11:57 AM.
Old 08-27-03, 12:17 PM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by amf1932
I would think that since this is a new version of the NAV system, it's more than just a software update. It probably would be very expensive to replace your current system, even if it could be done.
You think so? I think it could be a simple software upgrade because all the buttons and controls of the navigation system are on-screen and software-generated. I don't see any changes happening to the underlying hardware (hmm maybe a faster processor but I doubt it).
We'll see...
Spoke to my dealer this morning and was told that there are NO radio controls on the steering wheel.
What a shame. I can't even name one other upscale brand that doesn't put audio controls on the steering wheel in every new car anymore.
It's beyond me why a simple transplant of the RX330 steering wheel can't be made.
Perhaps THAT requires changes to the nav/audio system?

Last edited by XeroK00L; 08-27-03 at 12:21 PM.
Old 08-27-03, 01:26 PM
jp82729
Rookie

Originally posted by XeroK00L
[B]You think so? I think it could be a simple software upgrade because all the buttons and controls of the navigation system are on-screen and software-generated. I don't see any changes happening to the underlying hardware (hmm maybe a faster processor but I doubt it).
We'll see...
B]
Sorry guys, it's more complicated than just a disc change for 2 reasons:

1) The new map data is from a different supplier (GDT now, not Navtech) and is formatted differently.

2) The hardware is different than the ES300. All navi hardware is now combined into just the head unit rather than seperated into the head unit and ECU (see below for diagram)-

ES300: [Nav head unit with tape / CD]=======//=======[Nav ECU with DVD drive]

ES330: [Nav head unit with CD and DVD drives]

Not to mention the hard switches have been changed:

However, if you bought the new head unit and map DVD, it should work in an ES300

Last edited by jp82729; 08-27-03 at 01:29 PM.
Old 08-27-03, 01:50 PM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by jp82729
Sorry guys, it's more complicated than just a disc change for 2 reasons:

1) The new map data is from a different supplier (GDT now, not Navtech) and is formatted differently.

2) The hardware is different than the ES300. All navi hardware is now combined into just the head unit rather than seperated into the head unit and ECU (see below for diagram)-

ES300: [Nav head unit with tape / CD]=======//=======[Nav ECU with DVD drive]

ES330: [Nav head unit with CD and DVD drives]

Not to mention the hard switches have been changed:

However, if you bought the new head unit and map DVD, it should work in an ES300
Good find! I didn't notice that the gallery has been totally updated too. Combining the unit means more room in the trunk. But no more tape, even as an option? I personally still use it occasionally but wonder if anyone else will care.
I like how it now has separate buttons for accessing menu and destination settings. It certainly looks like a total revamp even hardware-wise and thus cannot be easily fit into an ES300.
However, why am I seeing "SAT" and "VOICE" buttons on the unit when neither the Satellite radio option nor the voice-activated navigation is mentioned?
The voice button could be just a quicker way to turn off that cool but annoying voice, though.

Last edited by XeroK00L; 08-27-03 at 03:15 PM.
Old 08-27-03, 03:13 PM
Toysrme
Lead Lap

Cool

Ok quick! Everyone rub it in on the GS guys!

<points and laffs> ahhhh hahahahahaha

Oh wait... I'm still driving a '93.

<sits in corner> <sniff>
Old 08-27-03, 03:50 PM
jp82729
Rookie

Originally posted by XeroK00L
Good find! I didn't notice that the gallery has been totally updated too. Combining the unit means more room in the trunk. But no more tape, even as an option? I personally still use it occasionally but wonder if anyone else will care.
Nope, I don't think tape is an option.

Originally posted by XeroK00L I like how it now has separate buttons for accessing menu and destination settings. It certainly looks like a total revamp even hardware-wise and thus cannot be easily fit into an ES300.
I've replaced a gen 3 system with this gen 4 system in several Camrys (for testing purposes), so I would guess the ES would be similar (can't say for 100% sure though). In any case, it's just a matter of replacing the head unit, connecting a GPS antenna to the head unit and running the speed pulse and reverse signals to the head unit. Takes about 1 hour on the Camry.

Originally posted by XeroK00L However, why am I seeing "SAT" and "VOICE" buttons on the unit when neither the Satellite radio option nor the voice-activated navigation is mentioned?
The voice button could be just a quicker way to turn off that cool but annoying voice, though.
SAT is for satellite radio, but you are right, it's not available for the ES yet. The Solara uses basically the same head unit and does have satellite radio as a dealer option, so I guess the same switch was used to cut costs.

VOICE is used just to repeat the voice guidance prompts.

Last edited by jp82729; 08-27-03 at 03:51 PM.
Old 08-27-03, 04:17 PM
XeroK00L
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by jp82729
Nope, I don't think tape is an option.

I've replaced a gen 3 system with this gen 4 system in several Camrys (for testing purposes), so I would guess the ES would be similar (can't say for 100% sure though). In any case, it's just a matter of replacing the head unit, connecting a GPS antenna to the head unit and running the speed pulse and reverse signals to the head unit. Takes about 1 hour on the Camry.

SAT is for satellite radio, but you are right, it's not available for the ES yet. The Solara uses basically the same head unit and does have satellite radio as a dealer option, so I guess the same switch was used to cut costs.

VOICE is used just to repeat the voice guidance prompts.
Well I can live without tape but I seriously think they could have used the saved space for an in-dash CD changer.
It really sucks that you have to trade the in-dash changer and center compartment storage space for the nav option.

Good to know that the conversion can be done but I guess it'll just cost too much to be worthwhile.

Man...even Solara has the Satellite radio option and ES doesn't get it? Are they rushing it out or what...
Since it's a dealer option do you think fitting/wiring Solara's Satellite radio on ES330 is possible?

The voice button is kind of useless if what you said is the case.

Thanks for the info.

Last edited by XeroK00L; 08-27-03 at 04:29 PM.

Quick Reply: lexus posted es 330details on website!