ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

Another new owner of a 96 es300

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-03, 02:56 PM
murrayman2
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another new owner of a 96 es300

I just bought a 1996 es 300 with 20,666 miles on it last week. A real cream puff. A family friends 85 year old mother bought it new.....

First impressions?
I am and always have been a "Big" luxury car driver so this is quite a different driving experience for me. I've only had it less than a week now and my first impressions are fairly positive. This little thing scoots around pretty good, handles very well, a bit bumpy but I think it's probably good for a short wheelbase car. I got 19.9 mpg around the city with it (put on400 miles so far). I've always put in my own sound system's but I think this one is above average. Sounds pretty good when using my 20gig mp3 player using various eax enhancements. Took it out on the freeway, very responsive. Can't use the sunroof as it is a bit noisy and wind musses up my hair (LOL). Might have to look into a sunroof shield....any suggestions?

One thing that I really don't like is the cup holder/ashtray set up. I am planing a 2500 mile road trip next month and am thinkingabout taking this car. The set up won't allow me to connect anything to my lighter when the cup holder is open. I have cell phone, radar detector, mp3 and digital camera charger......looks like I'll have to hardwire a receptor somewhere underneath. I really don't want to alter the "Original" but I may have no choice in the matter. Any suggestions re: this would be appreciated.

Thanks for the forum......I'll be back often I'm sure......Happy motoring.
Old 08-25-03, 05:43 PM
Toysrme
Lead Lap

1) Congratulations!
2) Sunroof shields are ugly. And you'll notice the sinroof has a spoiler allready... You aint gonna gain anything using an ugly shield on top heh.

3) Toyota has allways had two funky weaknesses:
A) Starter/solenoid
B) Cupholders

Glad to have you and enjoy the trip!
Old 08-25-03, 08:48 PM
squarehat
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Welcome from a fellow 1996 ES owner What color is it? As for the power, it seems like an extra outlet would come in handy, regardless of the placement of the factory one. One thought came to mind for routing an additional power socket without doing too much alteration. If your car does not have heated seats (many of the southern region cars did not), you could pass the wire through the "knockout" where the switch for the seat heater would go (on either side of the parking brake handle). Of course, if you have the seat heaters, this is a no go. BTW, if your seats are heated, be patient in the winter. They do take longer to warm up than other cars I have driven (my old BMW got toasty in the time it takes my ES seats to get slightly warm). But other aspects of the interior, especially the soundproofing and the stock stereo, blow the Bimmer away.
Old 08-26-03, 04:44 AM
murrayman2
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the welcome and for the heads up on the 2 "funky" weeknesses. I'll keep an eye out for them.

Toysrme I've decided to live with the sunroof issue. The manufactured spoiler is a bit short and therefor is useless in it's intended task. I read that if you crack the back window it helps cut down on the wind. Seem's to help and you're right, sunroof shield's are ugly.

Squarehat, I think the color is diamond pearl. Very..... very ........pretty. It appears to be on the other side of of what most lexus owners think is the most desireable though........Black. It's a subjective thing. However, with it's deep iridescence, smoothness, luster and pearlescence it almost looks like it glow's. I really I gave it a thorough wash with an extensive eyeballing and touch/feeling of every square inch of the exterior. I was amazed......the finish is nearly absolutely flawless. I found only 3 small nicks, probably from a random rock attack's. The gravel guard (it that's what they call the bottom trim) appears to be a little faded and has lost it's luster. It won't come back even with a little wax test. It's evident that this little lady I bought the car from was no parallell parker as the bumpers have been nicked up pretty good. So, it' is getting touch up and new paint all around the bottom on Wednesday. My daughter is a business manager for a local car dealer here in SC and has hooked me up with the detail guy that does there touch up's on new car's that come in wounded from their trek across America. It'll be tit's then.

After that's done I'll address the power socket situation. No, no seat heater......I've already used one of the knockouts for my cell phone. Attached it with Velcro so as not to damage anything. Seems to be working thus far. You have given me an idea though. I might be able to route something from under the seat. I'll check out the feasability and get back to the forum when I've done it.

Again, thanks for the welcome.........BBL
Old 08-26-03, 04:52 AM
murrayman2
Driver School Candidate

By the way squarehat. Where are you in Ohio? I've lived in Columbus (Upper Arlngton/Grandview) for several years and in Beachwood for a couple.
Old 08-26-03, 10:05 AM
squarehat
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm in Strongsville (southwest suburb of Cleveland, where I-71 and I-80 cross). I do like to shop at Beachwood Place mall, though.
Old 08-26-03, 01:16 PM
murrayman2
Driver School Candidate

Oh yes, I'm familiar with strongsville........

I have been Retired from the real estate business for some time now but I was involved with the conversion from rental to condominium of Acacia on the Green, (Acacia Country Club) directly across the street from the Beechwood Mall. Earlier I was involved with the conversion of the Winton Place to a Condominium and the Carlysle next door, on the Gold Coast in Lakewood........ My favorite place in Cleveland was the old Blues alley downtown near the waterfront.......It was kind of a slum back then but man, if you were into blues, that was the place to go. I can't remember what they call it now......I have also been involved with sevral properties in the Columbus/Grandview/Upper Arlington areas if you know Columbus.

One of my X's lived in N.Olmstead. I met her and her husband last fall when my youngest daughter and I visited the Rock n Roll hall of fame. They had 3 floors of John Lennon memorabilia. What a trip. I have another who lives in N. Canton...........Her and her husband own an autoparts store there........Heh, did I leave a trail or what? LOL I've been single for nearly 29 years now but somehow we've always stayed in touch. Ya know, why harbor resentment? Even though I divorced them I wished them both well and moved on. They understood that I was kind of a ramblin man and they knew I wasn't one to be tied down......well, I care about them both and I'm happy for their lives. They know it and that's enough for me.....

I think I'm having another affair.........(will I never learn?). This time it is with my cream puff 96 es300. She's real tight with only 21,000 miles on it. Real proud to take her out in public. She'll be cared for as she should. I've had my day's with "High Maintenance" relationships.....this one, I hope, won't give me any grief......LOL

Well, enough of the therapy session, LOL........ Thanks for the eyballs..........drive safe........enjoy the ride.
Old 08-27-03, 11:12 AM
LexDiamond
Lead Lap

Angry

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Toysrme
1) Congratulations!
2) Sunroof shields are ugly. And you'll notice the sinroof has a spoiler allready... You aint gonna gain anything using an ugly shield on top heh

No there not. I had one on my pearl white 92 es300 and my mother's 92 es300.

They looked awesome. We both received compliments on them quite frequently!

What spoiler are you talking about? The little flap? That does nothing.

I will mention that if you get one of the taller sunroof deflectors that it will "whistle" at highway speeds.

Last edited by LexDiamond; 08-27-03 at 11:15 AM.